• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Identification-Naval Axe? All Iron Spike Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thimble Farm

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello:
I recently acquired this all iron, hand forged hatchet/axe. The head is 8 inches and overall length is 18 inches. It weighs 3 pounds. It came from upstate New York, Rochester/Lake Ontario region.
Too heavy for a spike tomahawk (although common in that region) and I'm pretty sure this pre-dates crate axes. It also has a chisel/spike end and not a hammer end typically seen on crate axes. I am wonder whether a naval tool/axe given Lake Ontario's naval engagement history in War of 1812.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Ontario 1.jpg
Ontario 2.jpg
Ontario 3.jpg
Ontario 4.jpg

Well, many logging and remote railroad camps had a blacksmith there who made many crude and old looking repairs. I hope you get this identified, looks cool.

Looks more like a miners pick to me. A naval boarding axe would have a hatchet blade (for cutting tangled rope & jagged wood splinters) on one side and a sharp point on the other side (for hitting into a burning piece of wood & dragging it over the side). Many old mines were too tight to swing a full sized pick as if possible, the miners only dug out the seam of coal/mineral & left the hard rock. When machinery came along it made a big difference in how things were done

Thank you, but I am unaware of any coal mining in Pittsford, NY, especially in the 18th century/early 19th century.

I do know that Pittsford, NY was heavily contested between 1687 and 1814 between the French, English and Seneca allies.

The construction of the axe points to early blacksmith forged pieces of the 1700s, especially with its pointed ears and thin chisel-flared spike end found on some spike tomahawks of the period, like some others in my collection. The chisel/spike end is also longer than the blade end. The haft, while wrought iron, is relatively thin and well balanced in hand. That being said, it still weights 3 Ibs.

Likely too heavy for a spike tomahawk but certainly not a mining tool given the venue.

Looks like a pry bar on the end, I could see someone using this to dig, cut roots, move small rocks.

Is the head and the handle one piece or is the handle inserted into the head?

Here's my thoughts on the matter.
Early 20th century. The head is a Pulaski tool. The handle looks like a pry bar or a Halligan bar (same thing basically), but short.
Before the 1900's people fought forest and brush fires by beating the flames with a blanket or something similar, and with common farms tools such as shovels, rakes, and axes. In the early 1900's the first real firefighting tools were being developed. There were some strange items made before a standard was finally settled on. The Pulaski tool came into being in the 2nd decade of the 20th century. Axe head on one end, and a mattock head turned 180* from the axe head on the other end. My guess is that your tool is someone's idea or experiment for an early firefighting too, or maybe some specialized farm tool.
Pulaski's are also often used for grubbing in the dirt. I used to use one sometimes when I was on a trail maintenance crew in the national forest. The axe head is kept sharp for cutting limbs and small logs, while the mattock end is used to cut roots and dig in the dirt.
They do come in different sizes, although I have never seen one with an iron handle.

Whats the story of how, where, when it was found?

It looks pretty cool, and also looks like the handle was inserted into a separate head, or am i wrong?

and the forging method you date to the early 20th century? what is your authority for that assumption?
Just my thoughts. I know next to nothing about forging. Are you sure its forged and not cast?
I know the Pulaski was invented in the early 1900's. I doubt that combination of axe head and mattock type of head was used before the mid to late 1800's. I have one very similar to your's except mine has a wooden handle. Good for grubbing around in the garden or rock collecting.
It is the iron handle of your's that really sets it apart. Curious.

Last edited:
Whats the story of how, where, when it was found?

It looks pretty cool, and also looks like the handle was inserted into a separate head, or am i wrong?
Thank you. I bought it from an individual located in Bloomfield, NY. It was part of that individual's collection for over 40 years. It was found at a garage sale in Pittsford, NY. Yes, looks like the handle was inserted separately. I've attached an image.

Been collecting axes/hawks and using them for 30 years. This ain't no pulaski axe.
Ontario 5.jpg

Back