• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Knife Opinions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found this knife while metal detecting an old still standing home. The home is from the early 1800s and the old barn is enclosed in a newer sheath, if you will. Anyway I decided to run my detector over the floor of the old part of the barn and found this knife about 8” down. It was rusty and I can’t find any markings at all on it. The handle is still tight but is really worn. I did as minimal cleaning as I could. Heck it may be a recent knife for all I know so I figured I would get some opinions here. It is amazingly sharp between the chips in the blade where the old edge is and the wood is really hard and sound. What you think? New, old, older?? Thanks for looking and all opinions will be welcomed!!

Attachments

• FE93C5A5-BA56-4046-8E62-A2FDBC30651B.jpeg
    FE93C5A5-BA56-4046-8E62-A2FDBC30651B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • B2E89035-903F-42D2-9977-A252F37EBE4C.jpeg
    B2E89035-903F-42D2-9977-A252F37EBE4C.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • B6EDE142-76CC-4710-B38D-8E2DDE8B8C13.jpeg
    B6EDE142-76CC-4710-B38D-8E2DDE8B8C13.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I found this knife while metal detecting an old still standing home. The home is from the early 1800s and the old barn is enclosed in a newer sheath, if you will. Anyway I decided to run my detector over the floor of the old part of the barn and found this knife about 8” down. It was rusty and I can’t find any markings at all on it. The handle is still tight but is really worn. I did as minimal cleaning as I could. Heck it may be a recent knife for all I know so I figured I would get some opinions here. It is amazingly sharp between the chips in the blade where the old edge is and the wood is really hard and sound. What you think? New, old, older?? Thanks for looking and all opinions will be welcomed!!
I agree with LRB it's late 1800's to early 1900's, but would look fine in a shadow box, especially if you leave enough room for more "artifacts" that your metal detector will unearth. A "what I've found over the years" display is usually very interesting...

LD

A "what I've found over the years" display is usually very interesting...

LD
Full Disclosure, I had a Parish member family with a dad who had a detector, and their house was built where the orchard barn had once been.... before the orchard shut down and they built the houses in the late 1950's.... and he had a shadow box of stuff he'd found..., an old padlock, an old spur but very tiny (we eventually figured out it had been a kid's toy) a couple clasp knives, and some coins....

LD

I’ve saved a bunch of stuff over the years. Hundreds of Civil war bullets and balls along with cannonballs , grapeshot and canister rounds. A US bayonet is among my favorite finds. I found it under another old barn floor. I’ve got musket parts, Civil War buttons, musket caps, pinfire casings, heel and toe taps. I have Civil War coins and even wedding bands found in campsites. My favorite type of hunting is the old pioneer homesites though, just never know what you’ll find

Sounds like you have found some nice booty on your hunts. I would love to find some cool things like you have. All I ever find is old plow parts, nails and junk.

Older, I think. Looks like a caping or skinning/meat processing knife. Great find.

My wife found this under our old Corn crib barn few months ago,any ideas on age ?

Attachments

• KIMG0401.JPG
    KIMG0401.JPG
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0400.JPG
    KIMG0400.JPG
    991.8 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0399.JPG
    KIMG0399.JPG
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0402.JPG
    KIMG0402.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I'd guess barn was probably built late 19th century,our other barn would of been for livestock and hay it has few rough hand hewn timbers approximately 6"x6".
I'm going to try to find better pic of blade,it has few chips in blade that look like made from another knife blade,that's why it laying on piece of paper trying to show nicks in blade.

I thought I had pic showing couple nicks on blade that had been mostly sharpened out,only nick on blade I see is right in front of handle,others are on spine and they show up good on pic.

Attachments

• KIMG0397.JPG
    KIMG0397.JPG
    861.8 KB · Views: 0
  • KIMG0398.JPG
    KIMG0398.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
It looks like the knife I use for beaver. It looks like a dexter Russell ( they’ve made knives in the USA since 1818)and it’s skinned a couple thousand beavers over the years.

Back