• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Two Feathers Sheath & Nowill Butcher

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gang! :)

Earlier I asked about period knives and sheaths that would fit with my northwest trade gun.

Well thanks to all your suggestions I ordered up a John Nowill 6” butcher knife from Bernal Cutlery.

Additionally, numerous people recommended forum member Two Feathers as an excellent furnisher of sheaths, so I contacted him and he sold me one of his “Mountain Man” sheaths that is very much period in design.

Here are both items:

55D29A16-9FEF-47DC-BA56-806B55D80615.jpeg

The Sheffield, England made Nowill blade is rustic as were the originals. The beechwood handle arrived unfinished with some gaps and proud, rough wood. A few minutes with a draw file and after some sanding later it was nice, smooth, and even.

I finished out the handle with some aqua fortis blushed with a heat gun and some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. It turned out lovely, with just enough texture for a nice grip.

The blade is of excellent quality. It is carbon steel with a perfectly even grind that is razor sharp. It features a neat metal stamping just like the originals, many of our modern knives use etching which isn’t period correct for these knives.

Overall I’m very very pleased with the Nowill butcher’s knife and it is well worth the $30 price tag.

The sheath from Two Feathers is just outstanding. The thickness and quality of the leather is amazing, as is the very well done and highly durable sinew stitching.

With instruction from Two Feathers I wet molded the sheath to the knife handle and it’s now a perfect snug but smooth fit. Retention is excellent.

The belt slit pattern was commonly found on sheaths from the fur trade and allows for either a cross draw or strong side carry grip on the knife handle:

B5D51C1E-3A61-49C9-A150-76DF39BC9AB5.jpeg

Two Feathers took the time to provide detailed instructions for me as well as fast shipping with correspondence all the way. Not only are his products outstanding, but so is his service to his customers.

I’m thrilled with both these purchases and just thought I’d share.

Thanks gang!!

Hey gang! :)

Earlier I asked about period knives and sheaths that would fit with my northwest trade gun.

Well thanks to all your suggestions I ordered up a John Nowill 6” butcher knife from Bernal Cutlery.

Additionally, numerous people recommended forum member Two Feathers as an excellent furnisher of sheaths, so I contacted him and he sold me one of his “Mountain Man” sheaths that is very much period in design.

Here are both items:

View attachment 241593

The Sheffield, England made Nowill blade is rustic as were the originals. The beechwood handle arrived unfinished with some gaps and proud, rough wood. A few minutes with a draw file and after some sanding later it was nice, smooth, and even.

I finished out the handle with some aqua fortis blushed with a heat gun and some Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. It turned out lovely, with just enough texture for a nice grip.

The blade is of excellent quality. It is carbon steel with a perfectly even grind that is razor sharp. It features a neat metal stamping just like the originals, many of our modern knives use etching which isn’t period correct for these knives.

Overall I’m very very pleased with the Nowill butcher’s knife and it is well worth the $30 price tag.

The sheath from Two Feathers is just outstanding. The thickness and quality of the leather is amazing, as is the very well done and highly durable sinew stitching.

With instruction from Two Feathers I wet molded the sheath to the knife handle and it’s now a perfect snug but smooth fit. Retention is excellent.

The belt slit pattern was commonly found on sheaths from the fur trade and allows for either a cross draw or strong side carry grip on the knife handle:

View attachment 241595

Two Feathers took the time to provide detailed instructions for me as well as fast shipping with correspondence all the way. Not only are his products outstanding, but so is his service to his customers.

I’m thrilled with both these purchases and just thought I’d share.

Thanks gang!!
@Smokey Plainsman:
Thank you very much, you came through and it looks great. Thanks for the pics. That rifle you built looks fantastic. I love the carving detail around the lock.
I'm glad you like your wares. That knife looks VERY PC. The wet form on the sheath came out extremely good for a first try. You take instructions well. :~))))
I think @Notchy Bob is 100% correct. The sheath should outlast that knife by a bit. You have a matched set there that you can pass on to your kids and them to their kids.
If you need anything else, just email me. You have my email.
God bless:
Two Feathers

That's a nice rig, @Smokey Plainsman ! The knife handle looks terrific.

I am so glad to hear our buddy @Two Feathers is back in business! That sheath will probably outlast the knife!

Notchy Bob
@Notchy Bob:
Nice comment on Smokey Plainsman's rig and I agree.:~))) Thank you for taking your time to support our members with positive comments.
I know your knowledge and wisdom means a lot on the forum.
God bless:
Two Feathers

That's a nice rig, @Smokey Plainsman ! The knife handle looks terrific.

I am so glad to hear our buddy @Two Feathers is back in business! That sheath will probably outlast the knife!

Notchy Bob

Thanks, Notchy! You’ve guided me a ton on my black powder journey. I echo Two Feathers above, thank you so much for sharing your knowledge. I love to read every one of your posts and have learned so much from them!

Back