• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaver3365

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello fellow black powder lovers.
I have two Japanese made DGW TN Mtn rifles. The first I bought used in 1985 or '86 in Kentucky. Have taken many white tails with her. The 2nd one I picked up in Georgia around 2019. Both .50's.
Does anyone know how to trace age by serial numbers?

I'm assuming you've tried various searches on the internet and the Company website and drawn a blank. Correct? My next step would be to try calling the distributor and ask them. You might not get an exact answer, but maybe some clues. (Start dates for the model. What number are they on now. That sort of thing.). Your purchase dates are 30 years apart. How many numbers different are they? That's at least a start.

So that averages to right around 100 per year. If you can somehow find out where they are now you might be able to get closer in your guessing. Is there a local dealer that you can go to that carries the model and ask?

I have one of those; the Japanese Cherry Left Hand ones? Has the nicely striped wood, left hand only, .50 cal. by Miroku/Dixie? I always imagined that there was one big lot of them made, they were in the catalog for ever, I got mine at the tail end on sale from a mailed flyer they sent. If you are talking about this lefty, I'm interested in any info. I only saw one other many years ago at a small show, didn't have the money to buy it, plus I had one at home. Lefty's are a hard sell!

Back