• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PRB in cold weather?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric M

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone had any issues using either ox-yoke prelubed patches with wonder lube or T/C prelubed patches with bore butter while hunting in cold weather.

Ive never had any, but then agian it does not get all that cold in my neck of the woods. If it is a issue with you then I suggest bear grease or mink oil from track of the wolf :thumbsup:

Bore butter/NL1000 gets a little stiff, but is still useable. But up here "cold" is anything below zero °F. I've reloaded while hunting with my homebrew wax lube at -15°F and it worked fine. Don't know how Memphis Cold compares. ;-)

Mink oil, like one finds at TOW will work in cold weather, but NOT the Kiwi stuff you shine your shoes with.

I am NJ so it could go either way. Muzzleloader Season starts the last week of November and could go to February depending on where you hunt.

Stumpkiller said:
Bore butter/NL1000 gets a little stiff, but is still useable. But up here "cold" is anything below zero °F. I've reloaded while hunting with my homebrew wax lube at -15°F and it worked fine. Don't know how Memphis Cold compares. ;-)

I'm not sure of your geographical location, but iffn your close to Buffalo, Memphis can't touch it!

I once left my pre-lubed patches in my bag, on the loading bench during sub-freezing temperatures while I went into our shooting shack and got warmed again around our stove.

I probably was inside for 20-30 minutes, and when I went back out, I notices that my lubed patch( Young Country 101) was a bit more stiff than I was used to them being.

No. its wasn't frozen, or rock hard. But, I decided from then on to keep my pre-lubed patches in an inside pocket of my parka, or shirt, so that they would stay warm from my body heat. The closest I have come to knowing how the lube reacts in colder temperatures was putting a lubed patch in my freezer, and letting it stay overnight. [The freezer is rated as being at -10 degrees F., but I don't have a thermometer that goes that low to check the factory specs.] The patch and lube were still soft enough to use. So, I don't know how cold it has to get before you need worry about your patch lube. There are synthetic oils- even motor oils for your vehicles-- that are rated to work fine at very cold temperatures- and even better such oils that can be found at airports, where temperatures of hot engines, and very cold high altitude temperatures put great demands on any oil. Those oils have to work if the plane is to stay in the air.

Frankly, I don't see the need to go to that extreme, since we now have a variety of oils available to us as shooters that will handle any cold temperatures we are likely to be out hunting in.

A different issue arises about lubes and oils used to lube working parts in your gun's lock. You oil metal parts for two reasons: To prevent rusting by putting a barrier between the metal and the air; and to reduce the friction where two metal parts move against each other.

IN cold weather, I like to use very fine, synthetic oils, or vegetable oils, on the moving parts. jojoba oil, made from the Waxy bean from that plant, is a very thin vegetable oil that is considered a replacement for Sperm Whale Oil, which is no longer available since the ban on Whale hunting, and the sale of whale parts here in the USA).

When its below freezing, the relative humidity is so low that I have little worries about rust occurring, until the gun is brought in from the cold to a warm, Moist room( Kitchen,etc.) I prefer to leave my gun out in the cold in my car, or truck( or on the porch of a hunting shack), rather than take it into a warm room where condensation will be a problem both inside the bore, and inside the lock. :surrender: :thumbsup:

Back