• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mink Oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kopp

40 Cal
Reaction score
What's everyone's though on Mink oil as a patch lube for hunting....I typically will use Dawn dish soap and water, when at the range....But it is my understanding Mink oil is preferred for hunting, especially in cold weather conditions. Thoughs?

It is all I use anymore, no need to swab , don't wet the powder for leaving it loaded during hunting season. Leave the Dawn in the kitchen it 's for dishes. I use this for target and hunting so I am not changing anything from target shooting and hunting. Had a guy tell me he wasn't worried about any change of impact from changing things from target shooting to hunting. I hope the game he was shooting at didn't care.

There are hundreds of threads here on Mink Oil. Just do a search for "Mink Oil" and you can read everyone's thoughts about it for several weeks without starting another thread.

What's everyone's though on Mink oil as a patch lube for hunting....I typically will use Dawn dish soap and water, when at the range....But it is my understanding Mink oil is preferred for hunting, especially in cold weather conditions. Thoughs?
The minks are not too happy about it.

Here ya' go ... some empirical evidence!

12-degrees in Vermont, at a primitive MZL snowshoe biathlon many year ago ... whilst serving as a safety officer for 2-hours at the final station, I observed 8 broken ramrods, 1 using spit patched loads and the other 7 using Bore ‘ramrod breakin’ Butter. I had a metal-lined ramrod with me, due to the temps, that would fit any 45-cal or larger caliber. I let more than a few use it, along with Track’s mink oil and they all salvaged their scores at that station. Me thinks we made a few converts to TOW mink oil that day!

But in addition, it really is a superior patch lube for hunting! It does not contaminate the powdah nor dry out, for reasonable storage conditions or time. One guy, who's actually out in the PA woods for their flintlock season as I write this, will leave his longrifle loaded if he doesn't take a deer. He'll bring that same rifle (stored in a cool place) up the VT biathlon of mid-February, then primes and takes a shot at the practice gongs.

He hits the gong EVERY year ... as he hasn't taken a deer in a while, LOL! :ghostly:

Here ya' go ... some empirical evidence!

12-degrees in Vermont, at a primitive MZL snowshoe biathlon many year ago ... whilst serving as a safety officer for 2-hours at the final station, I observed 8 broken ramrods, 1 using spit patched loads and the other 7 using Bore ‘ramrod breakin’ Butter. I had a metal-lined ramrod with me, due to the temps, that would fit any 45-cal or larger caliber. I let more than a few use it, along with Track’s mink oil and they all salvaged their scores at that station. Me thinks we made a few converts to TOW mink oil that day!

But in addition, it really is a superior patch lube for hunting! It does not contaminate the powdah nor dry out, for reasonable storage conditions or time. One guy, who's actually out in the PA woods for their flintlock season as I write this, will leave his longrifle loaded if he doesn't take a deer. He'll bring that same rifle (stored in a cool place) up the VT biathlon of mid-February, then primes and takes a shot at the practice gongs.

He hits the gong EVERY year ... as he hasn't taken a deer in a while, LOL! :ghostly:
Any time Bore Butter is mentioned, someone always says they use it in cold weather with no problems. I say they are full of manure, and tell them they need to actually go outside where it is cold and shoot. Anyone shoots well with a lazyboy and a well sighted in keyboard.

Any time Bore Butter is mentioned, someone always says they use it in cold weather with no problems. I say they are full of manure, and tell them they need to actually go outside where it is cold and shoot. Anyone shoots well with a lazyboy and a well sighted in keyboard.
cold weather is relative.
I don’t use bore butter, but here in the Ozarks it’s rarely so cold as to effect hard lubes. God created fireplaces dogs and adult beverages for folks to use when the weather is too cold for bore butter.
Of course in the north county you might be in cutoffs and wife beaters when it’s too cold for a hillbilly to be out in

cold weather is relative.
I don’t use bore butter, but here in the Ozarks it’s rarely so cold as to effect hard lubes. God created fireplaces dogs and adult beverages for folks to use when the weather is too cold for bore butter.
Of course in the north county you might be in cutoffs and wife beaters when it’s too cold for a hillbilly to be out in
Our winter rendezvous is next weekend, projected temperatures at 0 to -12.

I’ve used mink oil for a hunting lube for years, but lately I’ve gone to neetsfoot oil instead. Mink oil is great, but I have not been able to clean my barrel expect with warm water and soap when I use that stuff. Neetsfoot oil is much easier to clean up. Plus, neetsfoot oil patches are a lot easier to load when it gets seriously cold..

I have used bore butter for 25+ years from 95+ to -12 degree never had any troubles.

25% Dawn to water and only a damp patch. It's too diluted to figure a cost...maybe 3 cents a quart? it is always available at the kitchen sink. Smells good. Does the job as good as or better than M/O if that even matters. You can always wash burnt powder residue off your hands with it. Have fun....it is nice to have differing opinions without the shouting and drum beating. To each his/her own. Go burn some powder!

Latest posts

Back