• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help improving my group

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for your input. If alcohol patches work for you great. I can't argue with that. Do you not have rust issues with a dry bore? Alcohol evaporates so I don't see using it as the patch would dry out and burn causing gas blow by would it not? Especially if left loaded for awhile hunting. Why not just use a spit patch then?
No to all of your concerns. Just try it or not.

ETipp, the Crockett .32 rifle is capable of that group size at 44 yards and maybe farther. Back when I could see a friend and I were shooting my .36 SMR at liter plastic soda bottles and the load was 20 grains of Jack's Battle Powder and the distance was 80 yards. I had no trouble hitting them where I wanted to hit once I accounted for the drop at that distance. Same goes for the fine little Crockett. I've never fired my .32 or .36 past 50 yards and mostly I set up targets at about 40 yards or a bit farther. And yes the Crockett is amazing.

I do try to keep my good targets but I also keep some of the "not-so-good" targets too. Doing that shows me that good vs bad days shoots can present useful information.
Indeed. I concur.

I'll have to take your word on the longer distances (target shooting) with the Crockett. Due to my vision I keep my shots at, or under, 30 yards on paper. I have made some longer shots on squirrels, however.

I have found that, without doubt, the little Crockett Rifle shoots much better than I can most of the time. Took me a while to figure it out, to the degree that I swore there was something wrong with that ML. Much of it had to do with shooting it from a bench. For whatever reason, it's still the most difficult rifle I have ever shot from a bench.

However, after a few good days here and there with very good accuracy, it became obvious. The rifle is very accurate, up to the task and is much more accurate than I am on a constant basis. What that did was build a fire under me and make me strive harder to figure it, which thankfully I did. I was just about to give up on it.

That has been my point in this thread, but there are those that still try to argue it.

Not a competition shooter, no desire whatsoever to be one. Just a hard core hunter that takes hunting very serious.

Last edited:
Really wanted to shoot today so I set a make shift range from my 19th century summer kitchen. A little windy and rainy from the storm coming up the coast. Will post my improved results in a few.
20230924_142529.jpg

So to everyone here that suggested a larger ball diameter thank you. You were spot on. Today I tried Hornady .315 swaged ball with ox-yoke wonder lubed .010 patch, 30 gr. Goex FFF. This is the result. 1st shot high. Clean bore. 4 subsequent shots touching. 25yards benched. Rainy and a little wind. Low light and not the best shooting conditions. Im Tickled with the results. 1/4" grid squares making a 1" black square. I'm satisfied and will be on my favorite oak flat this week for squirrel.
20230924_173118.jpg

Nice.

That sounds like my .32 load as well for my Pedersoli KY.
Since switching to Swiss I have dropped down five grains. But my rifle seems to shoot better with a little more powder than what I read others are using.

I
Nice.

That sounds like my .32 load as well for my Pedersoli KY.
Since switching to Swiss I have dropped down five grains. But my rifle seems to shoot better with a little more powder than what I read others are using.
I agree with you. Seemed like a.stout charge for a .32 but mine likes 30gr. With a .315 ball and 35gr. With a .310 ball. I'll take it either way

That's some good accuracy there, Salty. Glad to see you are getting it figured out.

I concur on the 1" aiming point from 25 yards.

Aim small, miss small.

Latest posts

Back