• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Missing wood between barrel channel and lock inset a problem?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leam

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a stock that is missing wood between the lock inset cutout and the barrel channel. If I understand correctly, that means powder residue can get on the underside of the barrel and begin to rust if it gets moist. Since spring is pretty rainy here, this seems to be an issue. Do I misunderstand, or is this a real problem?

Thanks!

Yup.

Attachments

• stock_missing_wood.jpg
    stock_missing_wood.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
I have another rifle that I can remove the barrel to clean. There is always powder residue on the barrel, even when the lock is snugged in tight. It's a flintlock, sorry I forgot to mention that.

Pull your barrel and apply furniture wax in the channel. Reapply the barrel. The channel will remain fouling free.
Middlesex arms had an officers fusil, found in bad shape. They used it as a pattern for a gun they offer
This is not about Middlesex arms as I have heard lots bad things about the company, I have never had dealings with them and have no opinion of them,
But the thing they found is rock solid info.
The barrel was rusted and part of the lock was missing. Wood was old and cracked, but the barrel channel bottom was clean, the original blue unsullied

This is not a serious issue. If you make sure the bolster fits snug to the barrel you won’t have much if any get into the area or in the lock. It’s advisable to remove the lock and clean the inside and oil the internals after a session at the range. This allows an inspection of the area as well.

Go to home depot or Lowes. Grab a rep. and ask him kindly for a bag of sawdust from their cutting machine. My Wife has this piece of furniture she really loves....you get the drift......they are more than willing to help. since its on the inside a little ca then sawdust until it,s filled. sand and its stronger than new. A little PJ on the lock to keep it from sticking to the filler. If it really bothers one that much...

Go to home depot or Lowes. Grab a rep. and ask him kindly for a bag of sawdust from their cutting machine. My Wife has this piece of furniture she really loves....you get the drift......they are more than willing to help. since its on the inside a little ca then sawdust until it,s filled. sand and its stronger than new. A little PJ on the lock to keep it from sticking to the filler. If it really bothers one that much...
Uh, no.... This will just make a mess. The hole is there for a reason. Clearance

I have a stock that is missing wood between the lock inset cutout and the barrel channel. If I understand correctly, that means powder residue can get on the underside of the barrel and begin to rust if it gets moist. Since spring is pretty rainy here, this seems to be an issue. Do I misunderstand, or is this a real problem?

Thanks!
Picture is of a good seal , flintlock at touch hole . After shooting session ... Take lock out and clean that area real quick then replace lock . No biggy , just part of the fun . If this is different than what your talking about I apologize . Best of luck , take care ...

Attachments

• 225179-IMG-20230531-180344-2.jpg
    225179-IMG-20230531-180344-2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back