• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Post Hawken Here Trilogy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Fred. Wish I could find a place like this. :hatsoff:

Quick story on this rifle and place. The rifle was brought in to get cleaned, some surface rust ect, its all hand made as best as "Icould tell all marks on it arent mch tool marks. This man built it for his dad many years ago and it took him 3 years to carve the stock out ect,take the 1st pic see the line running around the lock plate wood, ? , its carved 1/32" all around the rifle front to back,at first I thought it was some kind of 2 part stock upper and lower??? If youlook again at the 1st pic + 1 or 2 of the others you can maybe tell the nose cap, trigger guard, tang , butt plate, adj rear Hawken sight is blued?? but polished so high it looks like black chorme! You can see yourself in it. The silver inlays are pure silver, as a few parts like tip of front sight looked to be pure gold (very soft) why??? This man went to a hell ofr a lot of work to make his dad this one, wish I could of got the rest of the story. The shop itself has 1 type of every black powder gun made the last few 100 years, the walls ect are covered, and the walk in vault is :shocked2: youd have to see it to belive. Ive known the owner for about 40 years and this was the first time hes let anyone take pics inside his shop at a later date I'll try a few of the wall of hand guns, he has some I cant even tell you how they would work. Anyway, as dark as it was and the Hawk was off under a bunch of other rifles I still saw a Hawk in the bunch, I must have the Hawken fever. :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Hey rabbit you about ready to show us your Hawken? Its time to pick up on the pics again, Im hopeing Old Ford will share his that he E mailed me a pic of and Ive found a few pics to add this week. Anyone else feel free to post away! My full stock is going to take time even for a very plain one. Fred :hatsoff: How many times have 1,2 and 3 been seen now (along with other Hawken posting like Big Hawken( Old Fords shoots a 610 ball) and the strippping post, many 1000s. Fred :hatsoff:

Yeah guys, I am ready for some more Hawken pictures. Lets see them new Hawken guns :thumbsup:

Well guys...wasn't gonna post til I got some pics. Guess I ought to at least tell you the Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken came in Friday evening. To me...she's a beauty. Here's the target and group I shot with the very first 5 rounds thru her. I'm happy.
Goex1.jpg

When I find someone with a digital I'll get pics. Here is the brochure pic that came with it though.
RMH.jpg

Looks good from here, cant wait to see your pics, funny how we know it wrong the second ya pull on the trigger :rotf: man Im doing it all the time, with school out I cant shoot much seems Ive been run over by little people ya should try shooting and have some 5 to 8 yr olds come running out of the trees, think me and some parents are going to have a little talk, bad enough the place is covered in snakes that can kill one that size now I got to watch out for "pop up targets" :rotf: it really isnt funny. Fred :hatsoff: MORE PICS PLEASE

Hey, those Ped Hawkens don't look half bad. If they would have been available 30 years ago it would have saved me a lot of money and fun :grin: No, just kidding about that. I do like making guns but seriously, that is a nice looking rifle. Fred, ya might consider getting one of them too. Ya can't have too many rifles,....can ya?
Quigley, can you post some close ups of the details when ya get a chance? and how much does that rifle weigh?

True Cooner, if they had done it in fullstock for me :rotf: it does look realy better than I thought it would, and never had a problem with the 2 or 3 Peds Ive had, make dang good target rifles as Im sure this one will turn out to be. Fred :thumbsup: edit Ive always had a problem with the price but now it dont seem that high any more, not for how well they are made.

funny how we know it wrong the second ya pull on the trigger

That's why they use shooting books and you mark where you think the shot went and compare it to where it actually went. The better you can call the shots the better you'll get.

Calling your shots forces you to not flinch, or blink you eyes, and follow through, so you can see exactly where your sights were in relation to the POA when the gun fired. It is the main reason that all of us should spend some time shooting off a bench each year. I know that I have done everything correctly when I can see the flame and ball leaving the barrel in front of my front sight. When I am doing that regularly, I am ready to do some trick shooting.

Hi Fred I know I have been slacking again haven't I. Well the Big 58 is doing fine and awaiting a sanding and finishing soon. Actually I started on the forend today, John L. gave me the go-ahead, LOLOL. I took off the sights that were used at the State Shoot this past week and am working on the adjustable rear sight and the front site installation. I am anxious to get it going and should hopefully have some good progress made on the sanding and finishing soon. So look for some photos in the future.

The State shoot went well for me and the ol' 58. I came in fourth on the X Stick match and even shot a score of 50 X on one particular target. So for the first time out and having shot less than about 200-300 rounds total through the rifle I would say the shoot went well. The rifle performed beyond my expectations too. I was experienceing some missfires occasionally but John L. came through and crreated a vent in the patten breach of about 1/16 through the cleanout screw which solved the problem.

Claud might move this thread to the builder section so I am not going to get into all the stuff we have been doing to the rifle here.

Sure missed you and Sean at the shoot and I know if yall had have been able to make it you would have been there. The next one is in October there in Brady so maybe we can all get together then!

Ok enough rambling here talk to you soon and will post some pics in the photo section of the shoot.

rabbit03

Waiting with baited .. oh bull hurry up wabbit3 :rotf: I got 150 miles out of 400 from "B" when the body went down, Davy didnt have a car, if Id known he could of drove us. Right about lets get back to Hawkens and good shooting with the Big one, (till my 62 anyway- and old ford has a fine looking 62 also from the 1 pic hes sent it looks real fine) Fred :hatsoff:

Ok Fred check the photo section for some photos of the State Shoot. I posted a few for the forum and you.

rabbit03

ps. Photos to follow soon of the progress on the Big 58

CKd em out ya just had to rub it in :shake: ah well maybe next time,happy ya all had a good time, John is a real help to us wana bes. Fred :hatsoff: OK now bring on the Hawkens pics!!!!!!!!! :applause:

Cooner54 said:
Quigley, can you post some close ups of the details when ya get a chance? and how much does that rifle weigh?

Gonna try and get some this weekend. According to the bathroom scales she weighs in at 10 pounds.

Here is "old freds" Hawken and friend, 62 cals for those small varmants.
dec61b92.jpg
up the north do send us some more pics. Fred :hatsoff:

I forgot to add he barrel is 31" X 1 3/16 I belive it said, You cant tell from this pic but he used a flintlock lock changed to perc also, my idea of trying the Smithson Hawken, 62 cal , wonder what it will do with 200 grs of 2f :shocked2: fred :hatsoff:

Finally,...... got some more Hawken pictures to look at. That is a beefy rifle. The .62 is just a Texas squirrel rifle. Ya drop a acorn down the barrel and wait for a squirrel ta come along and try to get the acorn out. Then ya pull the trigger. :rotf: Thanks for the posting Fred. If ya get a chance to shoot that rifle with 200 grs of 2F in it let us know how it works out. :grin: That would work on both ends for killing something. Nice looking gun. Got any detail pics? I'm giving Ol' Sadie a face lift. I figured I would take the time to refinish 'er and straighten up some architectural problems in the wrist area. I will post some pics as soon as I get 'er refinished. I never was happy about that yellow looking stock on 'er.
Keep yer powder dry freinds,
Don

Im hopeing he will get them up soon, with rabbits 58 we are going to have to move on up I guess to those ? what was the org big boy , a 67cal and relly like that acorn idea :rotf: IM thinking the buggers are a little to big for the 62, now my 6 pounder has a 2 1/2 bore at least they could get its head in and :shocked2: bye-bye. :rotf: :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Even the acorns are bigger in Texas, I reckon! :rotf: The acorns up here in Ohio would fit in a .45 caliber rifle, well, maybe a .50! Little teeny things. No wonder the deer here are eating all the truck out of the garden. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back