• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Post Hawken Here Trilogy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think in OLD WT youd call them watermelons :rotf: , you shoot one of these tree rats with a 36 and he'll come down and beat ya crazy with it. :rotf: :rotf: Maybe we should next time (when this one gets closed open a plains rifle thread? what ya think of that, add Lemans ect, with all the Qs on Hawken here and on build I still wonder if it wouldnt be better to give us a site of our own, but that might short the rest of them i guess. Fred :hatsoff: More pics (oldies) are comeing. 1600 views on this one so far :shocked2:

Hey FW, how is it going lately. I know I know I need to get some pics up here. SOON.

I think Cooner is on to something there with those acorns! :rotf: :rotf:

Ok let me get outside and take a few pics of the rifle before I start working on the stock and finishing the metal parts and post them. How would that be? Be back in a bit.

rabbit03

Ok Fred here you go but let me put them over in the builder section so Claude has a little less to do this evening.

rabbit03

I bought some barrels and parts from Alaska some months ago from a gun shop , in one pic of a rifle he E mailed me I saw this pic in back and ask "who,how much ect, he said its in a lot of bars and gunshops this one is autographd in faded brown ink and didnt come out, Ive seen it in Muz Blast or maybe it was a cover, Its of Bill Fuller and friend and 3 Hawkens. This old pic has been :cursing: to get put on a dvd, old old pic.Bill Fuller is on left. FRED :thumbsup:
00680001gun.jpg

Good Evening Fred,

The late Bill Fuller was the premiere gunsmith in Alaska. Shoot, he might have been the only gunsmith in Alaska.

He shot and hunted with original Hawkens; even wrote about using a heavy powder charge with two balls for Grizzly Bear hunting.

In addition to building Hawkens, he repaired and built modern centerfire firearms.

In the early/mid 1960's, he and the late Parker O. Ackley teamed up to design a cartridge called the 450 Alaskan for the now long discontinued Winchester M71 Lever-action.

Mr Ackley rebored and rifled the barrel to 45 caliber and redesigned the 348 cartridge to the Ackley Improved style.

Mr. Fuller wanted the rifle for a hard hitting, fast action guide backup gun for Grizzly and other big bears.

The rifle and it's developement were a feature story in a 1960's issue of a GUNS and AMMO magazine.

My apologies to any offended parties for mentioning a modern firearm, but I thought some of the readers might be interested in a bit of the history of Bill Fuller.

Best regards and good shooting,

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA Member, why not? I am carrying yourload.

Thank you Davy and John too, Bill must of been something Ive been E ing with some guys from up home (Alaska) way and Bill seemed to think nothing of 200grs of powder and 2 patched balls out of his org Hawken's for bear, I have seen that 450 Alaskan in something pretty new?? Sounds like good back up all the same, if ya spin Mr Bear around once or twice and he dont fall down after a pair of say 58s hit him, after all that and he's still standing I'll be a running..FAST! :shocked2: :rotf: Fred :hatsoff:

Let's talk about bear loads in a .58 Hawken rifle just a little since it has popped up on the Hawken thread. John and Fred and all, what do you think of shooting that kind of load in a one inch across the flats .58 caliber percussion Hawken barrel? I'm thinking about building one so it will be light weight but effective, say, on Alaskan Brown Bears. :shocked2: What do you think of the safety issues with that weight of barrel?

Cooner happy to see you back on, while ya was gone we hashed this one see max powder loads, even John Taylor has shot 5 balls out of a 15/16" 54. My barrel maker ,well both of them agree with the Muz Blast series Jan thru March of 86, they pumped them up to ( 62 cal 1" barrel) 7oogrs and 7 balls with no failing, the patch blew out dumping psi :rotf: But 1 out of a 1,000,000 will not burn but explode so my barrel maker tells me 1602f and a Patched 600 ball,BUT he said "you been shooting long enough to know about seating your charge ect so ..I dont recomend this to anyone, Ive tryed 200 gr loads out of my 2 62s with no problems even a few 2 ball shots, for 2 years now. This is me , I dont recomend it to anyone else!! Fred :hatsoff: My normal loads for 62s are 70 to 90 grs 2f.

fw said:
Cooner happy to see you back on, while ya was gone we hashed this one see max powder loads, even John Taylor has shot 5 balls out of a 15/16" 54. My barrel maker ,well both of them agree with the Muz Blast series Jan thru March of 86, they pumped them up to ( 62 cal 1" barrel) 7oogrs and 7 balls with no failing, the patch blew out dumping psi :rotf: But 1 out of a 1,000,000 will not burn but explode so my barrel maker tells me 1602f and a Patched 600 ball,BUT he said "you been shooting long enough to know about seating your charge ect so ..I dont recomend this to anyone, Ive tryed 200 gr loads out of my 2 62s with no problems even a few 2 ball shots, for 2 years now. This is me , I dont recomend it to anyone else!! Fred :hatsoff: My normal loads for 62s are 70 to 90 grs 2f.

:shocked2:

Davy

How about a tapered barrel? You get the extra strength at the breech with little or no added weight. My Hawken has one and it has a nice balance and carries well, too.

I agree that the tapers are the way to go but I am planning a rifle for a friend who needs a rifle as light as possible. The straight barrels are as HC on Hawken rifles as tapers and I have seen one early halfstock Hawken with a swamped barrel on it that was a real beauty of a rifle. Still kicking it around as far as the plans go. Pondering the alternatives. :winking:

Good Afternoon Cooner 54,

Cooner, while I have done some on-the-edge things in my life :shake: :shake: , quite frankly, I dot not have desire or nerve to try a two ball load with even with a light powder charge.

I will leave that to the younger, armour plated, bullet-proof, it can't happen to me, new group of shooters.

I do not get on airplanes either :shake: :shake: .

Best regards and good shooting

John L. Hinnant

If you are not an NRA or NMLRA, why not? I am carrying your load.

John , then you better not read about John T shooting 5 at a time I think it is in the board busting. :rotf: The stuff we do. I'm running short on life John and plan on going home to Alaska and Don has been ever so nice thinking over makeing me a Hawken for those Little bears that almost ate me and mom 3 months before I was even born. He's just worrying about me useing a 62 cal 1"er. Hats off to you both , :hatsoff: and yes Im NRA, I dont think they push enough but without them we all would be in a world of hurt if you like to shoot at all.....Fred :hatsoff:

Over 100 posts. Time to start a new thread with a consistant topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back