• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Hawken Rifle barrel/caliber swaps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be cheaper to find a barrel that has bad bore and get it sleeved to .36 cal ? Then finding a good .36 cal?
I think this is a good approach. You could contact Hoyt and ask what calibers he can sleeve to 36. It's a cost effective approach and TC Hawken barrels with poor bores are easy to find.

I think this is a good approach. You could contact Hoyt and ask what calibers he can sleeve to 36. It's a cost effective approach and TC Hawken barrels with poor bores are easy to find.
That is a good idea actually. What is the best contact info for him now?

His phone is 7176426696. He isn't big on social media or email. Probably explains why he is so productive. He can be hard to get ahold of by phone. Seems a good time to call is late afternoon eastern time. Leave a message if you don't get an answer.

It's possible to find .32 and .36 barrels for a Hawken or Renegade but they will be custom. And heavy. A .54 Renegade barrel is lighter than a .50, 1-inch flats but less metal as more is bored out, and so on. I have seen some .32s for both models pop up for sale on various sites/forums, even as recent as this week. You need to dig and watch daily. For what you see priced just for a barrel, for a little more you might be better off buying an intact rifle, if you have the time and patience to wait and watch.

Seneca and Cherokee barrels are the same width dimension at 13/16, but are not the same length. I have a Cherokee in .32 and would defer to someone who owns both to say if they can be swapped and what the issues may be. I think the foremost issue would be with the under rib on the Seneca being too long to fit a Cherokee stock... not sure, maybe it's the other way around.

I had a complete spreadsheet of all TC models and dimensions and their inter-changeability and now I can't find it. With a little more digging you can put together your own based on confirmed information from various forums. If I ever find my chart, I'll post it.

From memory and other notes I do have, FACTORY original calibers and measurements across the flats...
Hawkin .45 and .50 are 15/16
Hawkin .54 is 1-inch - I do not believe this will work in a Renegade as the barrel wedge and under rib will not match the Renegade stock.
Renegade .50 and .54 are 1-inch
PA Hunter and White Mountain .50 and I think WM had a .54 are 15/16 and stock/barrel compatible; Hawkin barrels might fit these but I do not believe these will fit the Hawken stock.
Big Bore .58 is 1-inch and should fit a Renegade stock
Cherokee .32 and .45 are 13/16
Seneca .36 and .45 are 13/16

Two barrel sources, Rice was posted above, you can poke around and at least price shop as a starting point. Others here know far more than me about other custom options:
https://ricebarrels.com/https://thegunworks.com/product-cat...parts/barrels/oregon-barrel-co-drop-in-rifle/
Seneca and Cherokee are interchangeable the difference will be in the rib but it isn't a big deal I have 1 of each the one with a patch box is 36 cal and has a nose cap and is a pre marking gun the stock is longer then the 32 cal stock which looks like a smaller lighter version of the renegade stock with the exception of the butt plate is crescent old age but I can never remember which is which LOL so if you put the barrel off the one with brass nose cap on the other stock the rib wont match up to the stock also the thimbles are caliber specific

Appreciate the info on the barrel makers. I have a Lyman GPR in .54 that I want to downsize to a .36 or .40. The sleeve idea sounds like the way to go. Perhaps a carbine length would lessen the front end weight.

Hello

I am wondering for some info about TC Hawken (and hawken style guns in general)

So, I am in the market for a percussion rifle with a 36cal (or smaller) barrel that isn't too long. My state has some muzzleloader hunting restrictions for small game and for deer hunting. For small game you need to use 36 caliber or lower and for deer you need 45 caliber or higher.

So, if I buy a TC Hawken 50cal for example and then I find a 36cal TC barrel, would it fit as an easy drop in swap? (or vice versa) And if so, does it have to be a Hawken specific barrel or can it be a barrel from a Cherokee or Seneca for example.

By the way, only talking about percussion rifles. Also I'm wondering about the interchangeability between brands, in another thread someone said a TC hawken barrel could fit in an Investarms Hawken.

Any info would be great, or pointing me in the right direction for any rifle, Hawken style or not, with 36cal (or smaller)

Thanks!
I believe that rice is making drop in barrels. He had a good webpage and will answer questions.

Latest posts

Back