• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps and powders out of stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a surplus store in north central Indiana Yesterday they carry black powder subs but no real black but there are 5 or 6 1000 count boxes of CCI #10s shoved in the back of a shelf. I asked a the owner and he said hes had them for a long time ordered for a guy who shot BP pistol who doesnt come in anymore. Dont own a pistol so wont do me any good.
On the 10#s I would have asked the price and if reasonable went ahead and purchased them. You could trade or find a nipple that would fit them for your rifle.
If you really need caps, you could also modify an existing nipple sized for #11s with little effort to work with #10s. 5-6000 caps will wear out more than one nipple, so not having spare nipples will become your Achilles heel once you secure your supply of caps.

I thought about it and will probably go buy some just to have if I ever need #10s but I have a healthy supply of #11s so don't need to modify anything yet.

If you see them, buy them. Even if they don't work on your gun, they may work on something you buy later. Or, you can work a trade with someone who has the ones you need.

That’s good advice actually if one wants to continue using their BP firearms. I wish people could take to heart and rather follow the advice, “Just buy what you need, that way we can all enjoy and grow the interest in BP”.

I'd say just choose a couple of your favorites and work on getting supplies for them.

I'm just going to really get into my .69 Flinters because I honestly just feel that something stirs inside me when I shoot them . They're timeless and they are versatile.

So instead of being all over the map trying to shoot everything, I'm just going to buy 100s of 1" flints, I can use any powder from 1f to 3f and I'm going to cast .650 balls. I can make paper cartridges, load loose balls with wadding, patch. 670 balls . I feel just for recreational shooting this works for me.

I managed to get a stock of 2f and 4f from Buffalo Arms recently which is real nice since I'm brand new with muzzleloaders and still getting my act together with all the accoutrements of the sport. The 4f is because I jumped right into deep water with a couple of flintlocks. Mom always said that "if you're gonna do something, don't be halfa$$ed about it."

Yeah. Thanks, ma. :oops:

wm

I am seeing many on-line Black Powder dealers are Out of Stock of 2F and 3F. I just bought 5 pounds of Goex FFF and it's not cheep (about $33/lb includes delivery) but trying to keep stocking up when I can afford to.

I may ruffle some feathers but I was content when the hoarders stayed busy with 9mm and ARs. Now people who aren't even muzzleloaders are sucking up Blackpowder.

It's a vicious cycle, so now I am forced to go online and buy 10 more lbs to actually use to keep it away from a guy who's gonna resell it or stick it in his garage , never to see the light of day again.

I may ruffle some feathers but I was content when the hoarders stayed busy with 9mm and ARs. Now people who aren't even muzzleloaders are sucking up Blackpowder.

It's a vicious cycle, so now I am forced to go online and buy 10 more lbs to actually use to keep it away from a guy who's gonna resell it or stick it in his garage , never to see the light of day again.
I was surprised yesterday to see that Track was sold out of so many sizes of gun flints, with no back orders being taken! I got 100 flints from another place, which should suit my needs for a long time. Been buying round ball as well. It's crazy, but I bet we'll be seeing a bunch of these on Ebay at double cost soon.

STOCK UP. Muzzleloading is a smaller population sport. One in twenty folks even know
what it is. Realize therefore that it is not something with a guaranteed supply line. The
profits realized in the supply chain is not a huge sum. Therefore you are not always able
to secure your required supplies. Be self-sufficient as possible. Stock up and put aside.
The day will come when the "Controllers" who hate freedom will seek to limit and control
the black powder muzzleloading sport. Vulnerable items are the caps and powder. Within
reason, keep a supply in storage that could last you a year or two at least. If you shoot a lot
put aside more. Keep a list of contacts of those who can work on and are involved in the
sport. Look at places like England and parts of the USA where the sport is already heavily
regulated. Enjoy freedom while you can. STOCK UP.

As many know I mainly shoot a 32 cal. with a 15 grain squirrel and rabbit load. I can currently fire approximately 20,000 rounds before I run out of powder, that should keep me shooting while all the the 22 rimfire shooters are spending way too much just to plink for a while. Its not uncommon for me on a day off to spend several hours at my range shooting my small bores just to have fun. I remember as a young boy my Dad gave me a single shot 22 lever action gun which I cant remember the make of. I would pick up pop bottles to turn in for deposit and use the money to buy 50 round boxes of 22 ammo and spent many an hour shooting cans and hunting any small edible game I could find. I sure wish my grandchildren could experience that sort of freedom and enjoyment growing up. My grandson is now six and will be introduced to firing a 32 Cherokee this summer and if he enjoys it and decides to continue the sport as he grows I will do all I can to make sure he has the equipment and opportunity. Sorry for the rant but hearing about folks who dont shoot BP buying powder just to try and hoard for profit makes me ill.

If you are referring to my post recommending that shooters stock up, then you misunderstood it.
I simply advise people who do shoot actively to stock up. Not to make a profit but for your own
use. You cannot resell without a license. Many shooters buy as they consume. This has led to
shortages, for some, with certain caps--and for modern ordinance shortages across the board in
ammo and reloading. To each his own. I began participating in primitive hunts in 1973 and helped
formulate the protocols that would become a muzzleloading season here in Florida. I am just a
plain shooter who rarely participates in forums or sport politics. With weaponry of all kinds under
scutiny, it makes sense that you should put aside the required supplies for your sport. Not everyone
feels the need to keep extra on hand. I believe that percussion caps and the powder of your choice
should be kept well stocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back