• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion caps and powders out of stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
As many of you may have noticed, try finding any #10 or #11 revolver percussion caps or fffg powder either online or at your nearest retail outlet that stocks black powder caps and powder. Geox fffg black powder, Hodgdon 777 or Pyrodex P are all gone at my local gun store. Just like the last mad rush of people purchasing of any firearm and ammo due to the COVID-19 virus throughout the U.S., the current political events have made it even worse that even percussion caps and powders have dried up. Vista Outdoor Inc., that owns both CCI and Remington ammunition manufacturing has probably put their percussion caps as a low priority for manufacturing as the company is concentrating on rapid production of metallic cartridges to keep up with present demand. I would also say that Hodgdon has a low priority for their powder products as they probably are shipping powders to the cartridge manufacturers than for home reloaders. Looks like I'm down to a couple of #10 Remington caps and a couple of pounds of Geox and 777 so I'll not be shooting my Uberti 1860 and 1858 revolvers any time soon. 😭

As many of you may have noticed, try finding any #10 or #11 revolver percussion caps or fffg powder either online or at your nearest retail outlet that stocks black powder caps and powder. Geox fffg black powder, Hodgdon 777 or Pyrodex P are all gone at my local gun store. Just like the last mad rush of people purchasing of any firearm and ammo due to the COVID-19 virus throughout the U.S., the current political events have made it even worse that even percussion caps and powders have dried up. Vista Outdoor Inc., that owns both CCI and Remington ammunition manufacturing has probably put their percussion caps as a low priority for manufacturing as the company is concentrating on rapid production of metallic cartridges to keep up with present demand. I would also say that Hodgdon has a low priority for their powder products as they probably are shipping powders to the cartridge manufacturers than for home reloaders. Looks like I'm down to a couple of #10 Remington caps and a couple of pounds of Geox and 777 so I'll not be shooting my Uberti 1860 and 1858 revolvers any time soon. 😭
A friend of mine, and member of the forum, just ordered 2500 caps off Midwayusa.com. Paid $12 Hazmat. Still shows available.
percussion caps.PNG

Last edited:
Powder Inc doesn't show caps out of stock, but they won't let you add any amount to your cart. Looks like they're out too. It looks like RWS #11s are still available at Midway.

This shortage is even worse than the panic of 2016. When it started, a local retailer raised price of black powder by $5., probably more by now. Guys are paying .50 cents/per for the modern Para bellum ammo.! Wonder if lead has gone up? People were hoarding even modern primers back then; nothing's available now. Glad when this is all over, at least the new lawmakers won't be paying attention to muzzleloading stuff, unless you have a "high-cap" one!

Last edited by a moderator:
The widespread looting & riots were what really started the scramble in earnest. Police precincts and city blocks burnt to the ground, and the local "leadership" declining to prosecute. The lockdowns struck Italy hard, so they weren't shipping any product for some time. For a while there BP revolvers were unobtanium.

I watched availability closely for a while in the summer as kind of a bellwhether, at least until things got so weird it wasn't worth bothering anymore. Under federal law, the handgun regulations don't really apply. Someone who lives in a draconian jurisdiction, who just wants a firearm, any firearm, a BP revolver can make a lot of sense. Apparently this is also true in some countries overseas as well.

It looked to me that Goex and Swiss has been steadily available, if a bit expensive. Even the ersatz inferior sub powders are getting up there in price.

There is very little any where, for any type of firearm, I believe the companies that produce such items are as worried as the shooters are. I think what has happened is the manufacture's are depleting stock and keeping production runs to a very small minimum, So when the kracken is cut loose they are not stuck with it and take a huge loss. What is put out for the consumers is being bought up as quickly as it hits the shelves. We are just seeing the beginning of this as time goes on every thing will be totally controlled to the point of non-existent even for the muzzle loading crowd.

I don't need 10 lbs of FFFg

Is there any place that will sell 1 lb ?
A local sporting good store here in Utah still has 1 lb cans of powder. I don't know about your state. The re-enactment group I belong to ordered 25 lbs and we all went in on it together. I don't know if that be an option for you or not.

Honestly I just spend more time looking at and working on my guns, putting my supplies in a safe place and just getting into other hobbies until if/when this BS blows over.

I'm hoping to put a few through my Armi Sport CS Richmond in a few days but instead of filling my cartridge box with 50 I'll probably roll up 20 or 30.

Might be a good time to get a .31 little pocket popper like a Uberti 1849 Pocket and using 0 Buck and little 10 grain powder charges .

LG Outdoors on GunBroker has 100's of "1000 CCI #11 cap" lots in stock for 55 bucks plus the HazMat.

You could do a fair amount of plinking with a few pounds of 3f , a few 1000 caps and a bag of 0 Buck

Over the years I've bought tins of caps when I bumped into them, generally when getting bait for ice fishing. Off season for shooting?
I've bought pounds of powder at a time to offset shipping from Graf & son.
I started collecting lead when I found out how much fun casting was. Now I have too much.
Learn from this panic- shortage- whatever it is. Buy it slowly in bits and pieces when you find it. You will never run out again.
When I die I'll will the accumulated stuff? to a fellow shooter along with his pick of a long gun, as long as he helps my wife list the rest for sale.
What shortage?

Hopefully there will be a “next time “ to prepare for. I think the new administration will try to crack down as much as legally possible.

Decades ago my brother and went in a small gun shop run by an old guy (60-70) who had hunted with a percussion long rifle when he was a kid. My brother had taken his 1836 Lancaster rifle to him to get into shooting condition if safe. The shop was full of modern arms, nothing black powder to be seen but as we talked he kept handling and shouldering Steve's rifle. He told us being poor they couldn't afford cartridges so he hunted with store bought black powder but made his own caps from foil and "Barn Burner" white tips, Barn Burners being strike anywhere wooden matches. I've seen cap making kits are available (or were) to make your own caps. Jailhouse guns have been made using match heads for propellant so if it comes down to it we maybe in the future be discussing how many books of match heads gives your best group at 50 yards ;)

...at least the new lawmakers won't be paying attention to muzzleloading stuff, unless you have a "high-cap" one!

I think we ML shooters are in for an even bleaker future than those whose primary interest is unmentionables, due to our reliance on online sales. Sure, a few of us live down the road from Track or Graf's or Dixie, but most of us don't. :dunno:

Buy 10 lbs. take out what you need and sell the rest to fellow shooters. My advice is get what you can now if you can find it.
Selling black powder to anyone is a Federal Felony unless you have a Federal license for selling explosives.

A non-licensed person can give it away but they cannot sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back