• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion Cap "Shortage"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
During the recent 'ammo shortage', it's clear that any supplies were being hoarded, as we now see mountains of ammo at large gun shows. A report in the latest Muzzle Blasts indicates a fellow contacted all three Percussion Cap mfgrs. and received a reply from only one, CCI. They stated that they were shipping "millions" of caps every day!! And that's just ONE mfgr. Where are all these caps? I claim they're being Hoarded by the same types of distributors or dealers just like the modern ammo was a year of two ago. I for one am going to generously stock up for personal use within reason. A recent news report stated that there were half-a-million rounds of ammo 'missing' from the Cabela's in Christiana, De. Think maybe that was an inside job? Stuff never made it into the building from the loading dock. Who's watching things anymore? JMHO

I don’t think there is a shortage, I do think they are more expensive.
Agree. The shelves are full of the common types of ammunition but the prices are still very high and I honestly think they are going to stay up there. Might see a slight drop but not much. They know people will pay whatever they have to so why sell it cheap. The more uncommon ammunition is still scarce to very scarce. Example. Cowboy action shooting ammo is sky high. 45 Colt is $55 to $70 a box. 44-40 is $80 to $100 a box and almost impossible to find. 6.5 Grendel is almost non existant in stores and if you can find it is between $2.25 and $3.25 a round. Many other harder to find types of ammo are very high. The prices at guns shows are high and getting higher. Don't see a good end to this trend.

Won a WSM 7mm at rocky mnt elk foundation. Id rather pay todays prices for caps than feed it. I will never put more than 2 boxes through it and bought those when I won it like 15 years ago back when it was like $29.99. Should probably shoot it someday LOL. Starts closer to $60 now.

Common 9mm is back down to reasonable prices; I've seen 1000 rd. cases of target ammo at $210.! The cowboy stuff is almost as expensive as actually owning a real Horse!
Cheapest I have seen 9mm is $14.95 a box on sale for the cheap target ammo. Have to figure in tax on top of that. The less common hunting rifle rounds are very spendy.

I never participated in any of the shortages. I'm always well stocked and roll my own. My ammo cost as much now as it did 25 years ago when I bought all of my components.
That's very nice for you but it's not very helpful advice.

What you are suggesting is that everyone should go out and buy 25 years worth of shooting supplies.

I go through about 15 pounds of black powder a year. So, 25 years worth would be 375 pounds of black powder.

Aside from the fact that you cannot lawfully store more than 50 pounds of commercial powder in your home without special arrangements, the cost, at $30/pound, would be over $11,000.

I go through about 3,000 musket caps a year. Sheutzen caps are currently $460/5000. 25 years worth of caps would cost nearly $7,000.

So to acquire 25 years of just powder and caps would cost $18,000.

This is not financially possible for most people.

Not only that, but it also overlooks the problem that even if you can shoot all you want to, new people can't get involved in the sport if they can't buy the things needed to participate. Then the hobby dies.

I have been using RWS 1075 and 1075 plus. Never a hiccup.
I use the regular 1075's for real BP and used to use the plus with BP substitutes in a TC Renegade that would have occasional ignition issues with standard caps.
The plus are noticeably hotter, louder and spark more.

I just came from my local sport shop who used to carry #10, #11 and musket caps but he didn’t have any. He said he’s tried to get some but can’t now and didn’t know when he could.

I don’t worry about the cap shortages since I also have flintlocks which I actually prefer over percussion guns. Real black powder is easy enough to purchase online. Flints can be bought but I make my own. Scrap lead can be found with a little leg work for pouring round balls. Things like pouches, measures, vent picks and ram rods are easily made but can also be purchased.

However, a shortage of musket caps could definitely be worrisome for folks into ACW shooting. Hopefully this dry spell won’t last long.

Every year i fire 300-500 rounds from conventional muzzleloaders using #11 caps. At the beginning of the "Obama will outlaw muzzleloaders" panic i found a store in Oklahoma that had millions of CCI and Remington #11 caps for $2.99 per 100. i'm still well stocked: At age 84 i probably won't be buying any caps. i put posters on muzzleloader boards onto that store and they soon sold out.

That's very nice for you but it's not very helpful advice.

What you are suggesting is that everyone should go out and buy 25 years worth of shooting supplies.

I go through about 15 pounds of black powder a year. So, 25 years worth would be 375 pounds of black powder.

Aside from the fact that you cannot lawfully store more than 50 pounds of commercial powder in your home without special arrangements, the cost, at $30/pound, would be over $11,000.

I go through about 3,000 musket caps a year. Sheutzen caps are currently $460/5000. 25 years worth of caps would cost nearly $7,000.

So to acquire 25 years of just powder and caps would cost $18,000.

This is not financially possible for most people.

Not only that, but it also overlooks the problem that even if you can shoot all you want to, new people can't get involved in the sport if they can't buy the things needed to participate. Then the hobby dies.
It's actually great advice for today's shooters. Those prices that are paid today will seem cheap 25 years from now, just like when I paid what was an incredible amount of money 25 years ago. It's called inflation man.
You might also consider the current administration's hate of all things to do with guns. All of these supplies may be illegal to buy in a very short time. Buy all you can while you still can.

It's actually great advice for today's shooters. Those prices that are paid today will seem cheap 25 years from now, just like when I paid what was an incredible amount of money 25 years ago. It's called inflation man.
You might also consider the current administration's hate of all things to do with guns. All of these supplies may be illegal to buy in a very short time. Buy all you can while you still can.
Good advice. I am not as concerned about shortages as I am about laws being passed that will severely restrict or not allow the purchase of these items. Buy now or take your chances. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

I have been using RWS 1075 and 1075 plus. Never a hiccup.
I use the regular 1075's for real BP and used to use the plus with BP substitutes in a TC Renegade that would have occasional ignition issues with standard caps.
The plus are noticeably hotter, louder and spark more.
I just picked up some 1075+. Going to give them a try. Germans usually make a good product.

I’m doing okay for percussion caps for now, but I’ve taken an interest in black powder cartridge shooting and I have everything I need except primers. I’m on a couple of “notify me” lists and actually got an email two days ago to let me know the primers I wanted were back in stock at Midsouth! Woo-hoo!

I was busy at that time, and got on the computer four hours later to place my order, and they were sold out. So, I don’t necessarily think the dealer was hoarding, but shooters are snapping things up as soon as they are available. Some are probably buying more than they need, but it’s hard to fault them for that. Buying more caps than I needed ten years ago is the reason I have caps now.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Latest posts

Back