• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Missing Ammo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the volume Cabelas and Bass Pro go through, it may not be evident very quickly...Inventory was stocked where we the buyers could grab it in the good old days only a few years ago...and paid for up front. Likely the inventory variance wasnt found until the annual inventory. ..which could have been almost a year away. With the way shelves were being stripped of inventory for several years, the volume theses stores went through must have been astronomical. As well, with hard times and stock shrinkage (read theft...both internal and external) I wonder how much the entire store lost as a whole?
Good management/supervision/sales training minimizes shrinkage, but an organized crook...inside or outside....could easily steel a half pallet of ammo in a few minutes. I hate to say it, but I worked with a manager who was a blatant thief, and proving him as such was...very risky for me.

Retailers do some pretty shady things these days. About 8 years ago I lost my job of 25 years and while searching for a new one I took a part time job at a national chain sporting goods store. First thing every morning was the firearms inventory. Last thing every night too. One day I was opening and came up one gun short, no big deal just run it again. Still missing one gun so I asked my department lead to run it, still one missing. Got the manager to check it and the night before there were none missing. Did a complete hand count and inventory and still one missing. Now the regional loss prevention guy gets involved and it turns out for at least a week everyone has been fudging the inventory because they can’t find one gun and didn’t want to be bothered figuring it out. Turns out the case was there but the gun was not. Swept under the rug and never spoken of again.

The good news was I found a Weatherby Vanguard in the inventory someone had special ordered and never picked up from 10 years ago and I bought it for $149 to go with my 7mm and .270 Vanguards, it will be my grandsons once he is stout enough to shoot it.

A news report 6/28 states that 500,000 rounds (that's 500, One Thousand Round Cases) of Ammo is 'missing' from the Cabela's in Christiana, DE. I would propose that this is an investigation going back a couple years when people were "staking out" loading docks to meet arrivals of deliveries at similar retailers. It was reported in the Philly TV news market. Considering the literal tons of fresh, cased ammo I see at regional gun shows, it's apparent that ammo was being locked up and frozen from market by the very dealers we depend upon for supplies of Caps, Black Powder, etc. as well as un-mentionable shooting ammo. Inside job, anyone?
Ironic that it was in Delaware

And here I am still paying for everything I take out of the store...silly me!
Ran into a fellow at our Post Office. He explained he was new in town and had taken a a "loss control" job with the large supermarket/dept store in our small town. He said he was here before the completion of the new "low cost" housing units being constructed adjacent to the store.

I wonder how far along the ATF boys are with these investigations :dunno:
They must be working overtime and using everyone who works for ATF mm because i have had paperwork there for over 9 months. That is still "Pending",every time I call to check on it!!:doh:

After retiring from the telecom industry i was hired as Cabela's Antique Weapons Appraiser in the Lehi UT store. Provided this service for a dozen Cabela's branches for 5 years until the changes started with the new management team (big joke).

I worked 4 AM - 2 PM (4 -10 hours days a week), back to the subject line, "Ammo is 'missing' from the Cabela's".

I came into work, always checked the "Bargain Cave" for deals (ammo was always on my list). Ran into security guys (they had just finished their inventory count of the store). I asked how it went and the reply was not bad only $300,000 short this year. WHAT, say that again ... $300,000 dollars missing inventory, I couldn't believe their numbers WOW.

I was told in the bigger stores like Lehi if the "shrink" is in this range they can live with that.

When we were still in the muzzleloading business and I found a $30.00 loss I was having a fit !@#$%^.

Cabela's, Bass Pro, Dick's and several other big name stores just except it, like looking the other way when someone steals an item. What has our country become ...

Some involved in left wing politics WANT all this anarchy. What better way to “prove” capitalism is bad, then to project the image of those poor, poor hungry people struggling and stealing to live.

Back