• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI Caps - CCI reply regarding availability

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
also if they make a million a day 70-85 year old boomers would buy them up in 10 min

also if they make a million a day 70-85 year old boomers would buy them up in 10 minutes

Hodgson had another price increase in January. Avg hike was 20%.
My cost on powder is 38$ to 53$.

In 2022+23 I have around 200# powder shipped in.
Everyone wanted powder until it was here. Their excuses were.
I'll wait for primers
Price is to high powder valley has it for xyz. LOL yea they didn't out of stock.
SO,
I sold 168 pounds to the gun club.
I'll not order powder , components for anyone until I see Ben Franklin.
People are fickle to say the least Bill. Funny thing is, I'll bet you whiskey to water, prices aren't going to go down. Nobody I knows likes price increases on anything, I do like to have components on hand. I load modern ammo for myself and my 2 brothers, so it works out one way or another.

Which brings us to the real question, Just how many active ML shooters are there and how much do they shoot? My local gun shop carries very little ML stuff. And that shop has been there longer than I have with a good clientele. I'd say they keep enough ML supplies to support the casual hobbyist. How many more stores are like this?

The nearest Cabellas to me is some 15-20 miles away and their supply is similar to the store I described above. My BIL and I wandered around to several gun stores in Toledo one day and only found one that carried any ML supplies.

I suspect it's all a matter of perspective. We sit here on a forum that is all ML. We go to events and do our thing in a small community of all ML. We talk it every day and see the activity from deep inside looking out. Manufacturers like CCI otoh are looking at it from a global perspective, the outside in. To profit they also support modern firearms and their needs. So anyone know how many more modern firearms there are compared to ML? How many MLs get carried concealed compared to modern guns? And do they need to shut down any part of their modern cap production to use it for ML caps? Or do they have machinery dedicated to each and every type and size of cap out there?

I'm sure CCI and others have data that tells them how many caps to make to keep up more or less with demand and make a profit at the same time. And who yells the loudest when things like caps fall short? ML or Center fire?
All true but it certainly doesn’t hurt to send an email or two. Assuming for everyone who does there are ten thousand people who don’t, it doesn’t hurt to let them know… what if they responded by doubling their production for the year and we snapped them up toot sweet? Think it might make an impression?

We will see what November brings. Every election I remember in that a democrat won, long long lines at gun stores the very next day….
I've been running my side hobby since 1985. This is the first election year where I haven't had half a dozen phone calls a day for people wanting stuff.

This tells me that people are sitting on their money either because they're waiting for shtf. Two they don't have as much disposable money to run out and buy a lot of supplies and stuff.
And the guys that are making purchases being very selective about what they want/need.

Two-edged sword at work here (and it's not just caps) ...retailers are not likely to stock firearms that customers cannot take home and shoot. People simply aren't that way. Whether it's muzzle loading or cartridge-firing. So, ammo manufacturers are "shooting" firearms manufacturers in the foot by not meeting their customers' needs.

Recently, we've seen an uptick in percussion pistol availability (Midway, for example). If a market study were done, I'd be surprised if the first-time buyer share has not dwindled a great deal. What shooter would buy a gun without a prayer of being able to fire? Collectors will. Scalpers, too, perhaps. Not me.

Pardon an unmentionable reference, but important : One of my favorite old-timey caliber's ammunition is now $140 - 160 per box of 50. I'm shooting out of a box labelled $17.50 only a few years old. Not rare, at all. Profit talks and they don't own any firearms manufacturing assets anymore. Make what sells.

A friend of mine told me that a gun shop in the next county down allegedly has packages of 1000 percussion caps for $100.

I'll believe it when I see it. I will certainly buy a thousand. We shall see.

A friend of mine told me that a gun shop in the next county down allegedly has packages of 1000 percussion caps for $100.

I'll believe it when I see it. I will certainly buy a thousand. We shall see.
I hope that is true for you- but I seriously doubt it. I’m with you, I’ll believe it when I see it. You know how the rumor mill works.

I hope that is true for you- but I seriously doubt it. I’m with you, I’ll believe it when I see it. You know how the rumor mill works.
I'm sitting on a bit over 700 caps and I don't shoot all that often so it isn't critical for me yet.....

If I can lay hands on a thousand I will feel a lot better. I will feel like I basically have a lifetime supply at that point... Unless I ever get my own property where I can shoot all I want.

By 2022 I had sold new, 40+- BP revolvers between 2017 & 2022. Many also purchased conversion cylinders.
This doesn't include pistols new and used.

One local had me convert 5 revolvers. His revolving rifle,an older one I couldn't get the cylinder to function properly. It was the wrong cylinder.
In later 2022 the remaining 2 Baby Dragoons in 32 are still here.
Sold maybe 2 dozen since then revolvers and pistols.

Components are spotty. The few guys that I shoot BP with have kept me busy selling off their 6-7 decades of plunder.
One gentleman didn't want to leave his kids the guns as they'd see tona pawn shop.
The other moved to Irishland to be with his kids after remodeling his home.
The gun clubs ranges are scattered with brass again. Few pick up their empties. The steel case stuff is never picked up.

One range IMPO has several hundred dollars laying.
Many shooters werelay never taught range manners. They leave targets on backers,brass all over. Every time I shot it's 10 minutes sweeping up brass around the bench.
Nothing worse than having a nice concrete pad to stand on and having a casing under foot.

Manufacturers don't care if anyone needs , they are mostly investment trolls.
Weird year for sure I've called every slump for years this one components pricing will end a lot of shooters discretionary shooting.

So, I am sitting here thinking. There are sooooo many posts on soooo many threads about caps not fitting nipples. Makes me wonder, way back when was this an issue?
I mean, John Henry in his dusty western town needs caps because Dastardly Dan has called him out for a high noon street meet, and now he cant find caps to fit his revolver(s). So he rides to next town and told he needs to change the nipples to aftermarket ones. I can’t imagine it was always like this.
Did Wild Bill telegraph back east and have some guy from Pony Express show up in Deadwood with a package of caps?
When the hell did it all go wrong?
From what I’ve heard historically speaking is that the caps back then were more of a Foil Type cup and I would think that you could pinch fit it around the nipple so to speak but non of us were there so take my reply for what it’s worth I guess.

I just saw a youtube video of a fellow using cap gun caps on his percussion rifle and it actually worked. He did say they are not 100% consistent as he said a couple didn't set the gun off. Anyone else tried these red plastic cap gun caps ??
Ohio Rusty ><>
cap gun.JPG

Last edited:
As of right now I have a decent supply of caps but even if I come across Remington # 11 witch are really to big for any nipple I use and if the price is reasonable enough I will buy the lot of them like I did two months ago because I can always squeeze them to fit and yes they do work in a pinch because I would rather have something than nothing. I have made powder before just to see if I could do it if the need were to arise but have never tried my hand at making caps, I don’t know if I would want to do something that tedious as that or not but I won’t judge the process until I would try it though.

If I find caps at Wallyworld I buy them all. Keeps the resellers from buying them and then gouging at gun shows. Last shoot I attended I gave 10 tins of caps to shooters that needed them. Traded 4 tins to a shooter for wads for my shotgun at less than I paid for them. I am just trying to help others to keep shooting.
I just saw online 100 CCI caps for $18.00 I think we're long past gouging.

Every time I hear about a group of workers demanding higher pay, and they get it, I expect the price of whatever they’re involved with to go up. It’s inevitable, and those prices will never go down. Other pricing goes up in relation…. It’s a vicious cycle.
Pay attention! Even if they don't get the raise the prices go up just the same. And probably more!

But that's a corner of the free market at work. :)

Something is broke somewhere. We never had storages years ago & there were more of us alive & shooting a lot. Now the Caps are almost non existent. Only 2 reasons, either the big buyers /warehousing or not being made. Shortages always drive prices higher & more profits. I am tired of the endless chase for caps. I am not into being history correctness. So i will go another route, my time left to be able to shoot & hunt is getting shorter each year that passes. My problem is now solved, the cap making Companies won't get another $ from me.

Something is broke somewhere. We never had storages years ago & there were more of us alive & shooting a lot. Now the Caps are almost non existent. Only 2 reasons, either the big buyers /warehousing or not being made. Shortages always drive prices higher & more profits. I am tired of the endless chase for caps. I am not into being history correctness. So i will go another route, my time left to be able to shoot & hunt is getting shorter each year that passes. My problem is now solved, the cap making Companies won't get another $ from me.

The current European conflict keeps coming up as one of the reasons for shortages but I don’t recall this happening during the Viet Nam war.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back