• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traumatized by bans and shortages

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about my propensity to buy LOTS of shooting supplies and why that is.

Well, in the spirit of the "victim" that is the current trend, I was traumatized.

Back in the 90's there were bans on 30 round magazines, guns, then came a round of shortages, then another round of shortages on cartridge ammo, then 22lr shortages, then extreme storage requirements (in my county) for BP that drove the guns stores away from offering it.

So now, when I find something that works, or even think might work, I buy what is call a "feces pot full" of the item, knowing if I want I can unload it likely at a loss, but I won't be caught short again.

Not to diminish the issue by any means as I have been in combat, shot at (and missed thankfully), and been at some fairly nasty crash sites helping recover bodies and have thankfully avoided PTSD that so grievously affects some of my Brothers in Arms. But I must say, my form of PTSD is being afraid of being caught short. One is none, two is one is a motto that borders on hoarding. Ammo, shooting supplies, parts and guns ...can't have enough.

I just got rid of a bunch of camping gear from my garage that I won't use any more and made over $2000 in yard sale money where things went cheap and barely made a dent in the storage area in my garage. While I don't plan on passing in the next 20 years, I am starting to clean out things for my Son as I just had to do it for my Dad when he passed. He had the same issue (a depression era child).

Last edited:
Many times in my life if I saw something that I need but could wait for a while, I would often put it off for another time. Nowadays, with the way the supply chain is, political environment of the entire world, and all the other somewhat recent crazy uncertainties, if I need something and have the money, I buy it. I have seen that if I wait, there's a very real possibility that it won't be there later. In terms of ML supplies, I want enough to do me for a long time but I will not purchase more than I will ever use in an effort to make money on it later.

Many times in my life if I saw something that I need but could wait for a while, I would often put it off for another time. Nowadays, with the way the supply chain is, political environment of the entire world, and all the other somewhat recent crazy uncertainties, if I need something and have the money, I buy it. I have seen that if I wait, there's a very real possibility that it won't be there later. In terms of ML supplies, I want enough to do me for a long time but I will not purchase more than I will ever use in an effort to make money on it later.
Exactly. I am not profit seeking nor buying expecting to turn it around later. But I do buy enough so that I won't be caught short if I ever want to use it. I have no problem helping someone out, especially if I see I over bought, but I also am not an alternative supplier/seller.

While I believe in capitalism, one can stretch the limits of comity.

I am starting to clean out things for my Son as I just had to do it for my Dad
I hear That!

158208-4f1141ff9a2e0939f0bf572891d1d3d8.png

Get it where you can, get as much as you can afford, and stay quiet about it. I have a feeling in the future soon you're going to need it if things don't change soon. Build a quiet correlation of likeminded friends and work together. I have two or three such agreements If one comes across an item, we call each other and check if we should buy in bulk and split the items, we are now in a place where if an item is available, we buy it all or as much as the vendor will sell, NO shortages here. In the world of the shooting trades those items will never lose value and will increase as time goes on.

I am in the truck with y'all. I got caught with my pants down as we had been traveling about the country sight-seeing. Now if i find what i have to have if no cash its put on the plastic !
I am a cash and carry type of person, Plastic is too easy to track, and yes big brother is watching, try to leave as little trail as you can on these types of purchases. The only exception is if buying online and depending on the vendor it's a postal M.O. if they will accept it. It is a wise thing to burn those bridges as soon as you can, Soon there will be no options as to how you pay, with all the talk of crypto, there's a reason for that, say you go to your local gun store to buy whatever, and the person does their voodoo on the machine and then tells you I cannot sell you that, you ask why and they tell you it has come back as a un-necessary purchase. CONTROL OF THE GOVERNMENT IS THE ULTIMATE GOAL in everything. You I and everyone else will be told what you need, how much you need and when to get it. At that point we stop living and only survive. Then they decide we are a burden to the world, so they tighten the noose even more. Next step is in the hole you go.

Similar to the original post I keep larger quantities of things than I would like because I am not going to get caught without again. For example, a few years ago I ran low on specific powder and bullets as there were none to buy, as they have come back (sporadically) I have purchased quantities of them large enough to be comfortable using them as I want. I didn't run out of anything but I did have to conserve to prevent being out and it irritated me thoroughly. If I could get what I want when I want I would have much less on hand.

I haven't run low on anything. I have been well stocked since the 90's and probably have enough for the rest of my life. Unless something like the end of the world comes , so I still buy in large quantities when the price is right and the products are available, whether i need those products or not.

Another thread got me thinking about my propensity to buy LOTS of shooting supplies and why that is.

Well, in the spirit of the "victim" that is the current trend, I was traumatized.

Back in the 90's there were bans on 30 round magazines, guns, then came a round of shortages, then another round of shortages on cartridge ammo, then 22lr shortages, then extreme storage requirements (in my county) for BP that drove the guns stores away from offering it.

So now, when I find something that works, or even think might work, I buy what is call a "feces pot full" of the item, knowing if I want I can unload it likely at a loss, but I won't be caught short again.

Not to diminish the issue by any means as I have been in combat, shot at (and missed thankfully), and been at some fairly nasty crash sites helping recover bodies and have thankfully avoided PTSD that so grievously affects some of my Brothers in Arms. But I must say, my form of PTSD is being afraid of being caught short. One is none, two is one is a motto that borders on hoarding. Ammo, shooting supplies, parts and guns ...can't have enough.

I just got rid of a bunch of camping gear from my garage that I won't use any more and made over $2000 in yard sale money where things went cheap and barely made a dent in the storage area in my garage. While I don't plan on passing in the next 20 years, I am starting to clean out things for my Son as I just had to do it for my Dad when he passed. He had the same issue (a depression era child).
Similar strategy here. Stock up when the price is ‘good’ and products are available. Really don’t have one of anything, too many things over the years have become discontinued, over priced or legislatively made to go away to risk having only enough for ‘today’. Read the posts about folks looking for guns, caps, powder, bullets, whatever during the recent past. These are the next generation’s good old days.

One guy that worked for me always asked me to make sure my heirs knew to invite him to what he figures to be one hell of an estate sale.

I had just got started in reloading about a year before the great primer shortage hit. I was lucky since in my zeal with the new hobby I reloaded about 20k rounds of the calibers I shoot and bought enough primers to load about 10k more. And since I then discovered the joy of muzzleloaders and shoot them more than the modern guns now, I have enough ammo to last for years. As far as the black powder guns go I probably have enough supplies to last the rest of my life.

1607277898965-png.jpg

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I don't hord shooting supply as I know the Lord will take care of me but I do keep a crossbow handy to take care of shooting needs if needed.

My problem with holding is my family takes it if they find it. 2 years ago I bought a bunch of fuel cans and stored away about 50 gallons of fuel for possible hard times ahead. Well I'm out on the road all the time so couldn't check on it daily but one weekend I was home and checked on my fuel and it was all gone. My girlfriend used it all because she is a selfish jerk and cares about nobody else but her.

Truth be known that if it don't fit in my backpack I don't need it in hard times. A tent, a sleeping bag, conabear traps and a crossbow is really all I need in bad times.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I don't hord shooting supply as I know the Lord will take care of me but I do keep a crossbow handy to take care of shooting needs if needed.

My problem with holding is my family takes it if they find it. 2 years ago I bought a bunch of fuel cans and stored away about 50 gallons of fuel for possible hard times ahead. Well I'm out on the road all the time so couldn't check on it daily but one weekend I was home and checked on my fuel and it was all gone. My girlfriend used it all because she is a selfish jerk and cares about nobody else but her.

Truth be known that if it don't fit in my backpack I don't need it in hard times. A tent, a sleeping bag, conabear traps and a crossbow is really all I need in bad times.
May be time for an upgrade.

I thought the same thing. GIRLFRIEND She might be a girl, but that ain't no friend what she did to you.

The good Lord takes care of a lot of things but, quite frankly, shooting supplies isn't one of them.

Try trotting down to your local favorite establishment of the Lord and ask for a can of FFFg or 22lr and see how much you get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back