• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps Redux

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My LGS, a very active business, sells black powder but of course no caps. Even his BP supplier can't get any. He agreed with me, that there are caps coming out of the factories, but are being Hoarded by middle-men, distributors, and shops along the line in order to drive up the price. It's the ammo shortage all over again, except with caps, not ammo. Good thing that Flintlocks are so popular with guys on this site! There's a large regional gun show this weekend and I'm going to stock up on modern stuff because it's all disappearing by Labor Day; the now-routine "panic" surrounding our broken electoral system, and fear of what certain candidates will do if victorious. No wonder we like to pretend we're in the 18th or 19th Century! No voting computers or "mail-ins", just paper ballots counted by real people. At what point does hoarding pay before becoming a negative burden? You've got a warehouse with a billion tons of Caps, and no demand once things simmer down to 'normal' in a couple years. JMO

He agreed with me, that there are caps coming out of the factories, but are being Hoarded by middle-men, distributors, and shops along the line in order to drive up the price. It's the ammo shortage all over again, except with caps, not ammo.
Interesting. With all due respect, where did you get your information? No limit on caps for some time at either of the two online vendors I've been buying from.

In a years time people will be giving caps away. But it depends on the elections like you said.

Interesting. With all due respect, where did you get your information? No limit on caps for some time at either of the two online vendors I've been buying from.
Would you please share what on line venders those may be? I can find musket caps but no 10’s or 11’s and have been searching the net regularly.
Old Shepherd

According to this YouTuber I Love Muzzleloading, CCI only produces percussion caps once a year, in May or June. Vista Outdoors owns both CCI and Remington, but in this video he says that Vista Outdoors may be purchased by the Czech company that owns Colt, Colt CZ Group.

I buy in bulk. Black Powder, Goex or Schutzen, #10, #11, musket, flints. This way, I have enough to last for a long, long time.
I do realize that not everyone is in position to be able to make large purchases but if you can do it, rock on with your bad self. There is some comfort in knowing your stockpile.

Here is another option. Vacation time from work, make a road trip to Missouri. Take an empty cooler or two for storage. Visit Graf's and buy powder in your favorite Fg. Midway USA is close by. They sell power too. NMLRA in Friendship, Indiana has powder if you are a member.
Or if you have friends who like to shoot front stuffers, pool the money and buy online and split the cost between. That will spread the cost of the hazmat.

Here is another option. Vacation time from work, make a road trip to Missouri. Take an empty cooler or two for storage. Visit Graf's and buy powder in your favorite Fg. Midway USA is close by. They sell power too. NMLRA in Friendship, Indiana has powder if you are a member.
Or if you have friends who like to shoot front stuffers, pool the money and buy online and split the cost between. That will spread the cost of the hazmat.
There's a simpler option, but that discussion is not permitted. 😉

I learned long ago to keep a #10 nipple and a musket nipple for my rifles for the times when I can't find #11's when 11's are available I buy them in bulk. I have never ran out If I see caps for a price I consider to be a good price I buy them all period, keep your wining to your self if ya'll weren't so tight you'd buy your supplies in larger quantities more then a pound or a tin at a time ! I bet those of you that do shoot centerfires or rimfires only buy your ammo 1 box at a time and then why your gun doesn't shoot to the same spot next year? I retired from the ammo industry after 21 years cartridges coming off the loader on two different shifts shoot different, each batch of powder is different same with bullets, primers, and brass. Muzzleloaders are no different each batch of caps no matter who's they are are different SO BUY ALL YOU CAN WHEN YOU CAN Also the cap manufactures are not going to make caps when they can't keep up with making primers for center fire they come out of the same production lines !

Posted this elsewhere but thought it pertinent to the buy in bulk and then you will have them statements.

I think I am good for awhile yet.
Caps1.jpg

Caps2.jpg

I buy in bulk. Black Powder, Goex or Schutzen, #10, #11, musket, flints. This way, I have enough to last for a long, long time.
I do realize that not everyone is in position to be able to make large purchases but if you can do it, rock on with your bad self. There is some comfort in knowing your stockpile.

Exactly.

I’ve got 3000 caps on standby and about 40 lbs of Holy.

Latest posts

Back