• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Packing grease

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gesthuntn

32 Cal
Reaction score
What's the best way to get all the packing grease out of a new muzzleloader? I have been scrubbing with CLP and can't seem to get it to come clean.

Kerosene, mineral spirits, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, any solvent used to clean auto parts. Household cleaners (409, Simple Green, etc) work but are slower and you need to make sure all moisture is removed after using.

As Hawkeye2 has stated, the thin solvents designed to dissolve grease are what you need to use to get that grease from the bore. Be careful not to get those solvents on your wood finish as some of them will take the finish off about as quick as the grease is removed from the bore.

I'm trying to clean my new Pedersoli. The stuff seems to just keep coming. Been trying to get it clean for a couple weeks now. I will pick up some brake cleaner to try.

Kerosene, mineral spirits, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, any solvent used to clean auto parts. Household cleaners (409, Simple Green, etc) work but are slower and you need to make sure all moisture is removed after using.
I have used gasoline. The cosmoline used to store weapons is petroleum based the same as gasoline? This was on more modern weapons?

What's the best way to get all the packing grease out of a new muzzleloader? I have been scrubbing with CLP and can't seem to get it to come clean.
I have been using a red mix for years, works very good.
Equal parts - Miracle Oil - Colemans camp fuel - mineral spirits.
I use it for everything, bores, locks, (unmentionable) etc...
In 30 years it has never failed.

Gasoline works but certainly isn't recommended! :eek: Cosmoline contains a petroleum base which evaporates over time leaving a solid wax that's very difficult to remove as if it isn't miserable enough when it's fresh. I'm 100% sure the product applied to new Italian guns has a petroleum base but it isn't cosmoline and is much easier to remove.

Very hot soapy water. Be careful what you use around bluing. Some cleaners and chemicals may be great at getting under grease, but also remove bluing. Perhaps browning tolerates some better.

Chemically, cosmoline is a homogeneous mixture of oily and waxy long-chain, non-polar hydrocarbons. It is always brown in color, but can differ in viscosity and shear strength. Cosmoline melts at 113–125 °F (45–52 °C) and has a flash point of 365 °F (185 °C).

Back