• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver grease packing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen references to packing revolver actions with grease, I assume to keep them lubed and to keep fouling out. If a person uses a light grease to keep from freezing everything up what are your opinions? Is it good, bad, or doesn't matter?

I have seen references to packing revolver actions with grease, I assume to keep them lubed and to keep fouling out. If a person uses a light grease to keep from freezing everything up what are your opinions? Is it good, bad, or doesn't matter?

I've been packing frames with Mobil1 for years and my customers seem to be happy with it. It comes from the Cowboy shooters as they had been doing it for yrs before I learned about it. Like you said, it keeps everything lubed and fouling from congregating. It migrates as the action is cycled. Cuts cleaning chores down to cylinder and barrel . . . and wipe the frame down.

I do it in my personal revolvers as well and they are all unmentionables.

Mike

I did it after reading about Mike suggesting it. It really works well at keeping the internals clean and free of junk that would normally migrate in.

Does the grease slow down the action in very cold weather? My aunt’s husband went hunting polar bear years ago, the guide made them strip their rifles and de grease everywhere with gasoline.

I haven’t noticed a slow down in the action, but it doesn’t get as cold here as so many other places. I shoot very often when it’s in the 30’s.

Does the grease slow down the action in very cold weather? My aunt’s husband went hunting polar bear years ago, the guide made them strip their rifles and de grease everywhere with gasoline.

( Mobil1) will be fine in polar bear weather unless it's below -58°F .
It won't run out unless it's over 450°F . . .
You can still fan them with grease in it . . .
The parts react faster than you ever will . . .
The grease won't turn into tar or harden in your lifetime . . .

Otherwise, let me know what's better. Lots of cowboy shooters and customers would like to know ! 😃

Mike

I just use the same chamber lube to pack the grease rings in the arbor and seems to work fine. I "thin out" the chamber lube mix for cold weather. A higher ratio of olive oil does it for me.

If you are going to depend on a cap and ball in cold weather I would put it in the freezer and check to see if it still functions properly. My experience with cold temperature testing of switch gear for the power industry lead to some surprising results. Mobil One grease seized things up in cold temp (-40F). There was another grease called NYE that worked much better.

If you are going to depend on a cap and ball in cold weather I would put it in the freezer and check to see if it still functions properly. My experience with cold temperature testing of switch gear for the power industry lead to some surprising results. Mobil One grease seized things up in cold temp (-40F). There was another grease called NYE that worked much better.

Awesome.
I'm good though. I never shoot in extreme Temps. I don't care to visit or live in any place like that.
It's definitely not law, it's just the best way I've seen to set them up for abuse. I will continue to do so . . .

Mike

When you got a big furry white or brown thing after you, you don't want to take any chances. They did the same thing in Korea with the Garands, used gasoline to clean them and no oil back in (winter of course, aka Frozen Chosen). No lube and some wear vs it sticking (granted no syn oil in those days).

I have yet to see any fouling get into my actions but I don't shoot more than a few cylinders worth at a time.

But then I do shoot at some colder temps so will go with what works, synthetic oil.

Some weird things can happen per above at cold temperatures.

That idea makes a great deal of sense to me if one is going to shoot all season long without a complete tear down, clean and re-lube each time.
It would be a moot point if you regularly do a compete tear down, cleaning and re-lubing after each shooting session.
It also depends a lot on what type of climate one lives in. You can get away with a lot in very dry climates that you can't in very humid, salt air ones.
I have found that here in South Central (Anchorage) AK it is usually quite dry even close to the ocean for most of the year but when one gets down South , Kodiak or out on the chain in the humid salt air and continuous rain/wind any gun will rust (practically) while you watch it, even stainless ones and I'm not exaggerating by much !

When you got a big furry white or brown thing after you, you don't want to take any chances. They did the same thing in Korea with the Garands, used gasoline to clean them and no oil back in (winter of course, aka Frozen Chosen). No lube and some wear vs it sticking (granted no syn oil in those days).

I have yet to see any fouling get into my actions but I don't shoot more than a few cylinders worth at a time.

But then I do shoot at some colder temps so will go with what works, synthetic oil.

Some weird things can happen per above at cold temperatures.
Yeah, that certainly is true. I've had guns hang and fail to fire in extreme cold. I also discovered many years ago that Pyrodex didn't reliably work for me in very cold weather.

I've been packing frames with Mobil1 for years and my customers seem to be happy with it. It comes from the Cowboy shooters as they had been doing it for yrs before I learned about it. Like you said, it keeps everything lubed and fouling from congregating. It migrates as the action is cycled. Cuts cleaning chores down to cylinder and barrel . . . and wipe the frame down.

I do it in my personal revolvers as well and they are all unmentionables.

Mike
I got the idea from Mike. I pack ALL my recolvers with grease.
It cuts diwn in cleaning time.

If you want your gun to be easier to clean then smokeless pack the internals with grease and use windex with vinegar to spray the bore and ve amazed as one push through with a jag cleans the entire boew

I got the idea from Mike. I pack ALL my recolvers with grease.
It cuts diwn in cleaning time.

If you want your gun to be easier to clean then smokeless pack the internals with grease and use windex with vinegar to spray the bore and ve amazed as one push through with a jag cleans the entire boew
You better clean and lube better than that if you want the gun to survive for many years.

Hi, new member here and I've never heard of grease packing a revolver before? Is it like slathering the whole gun for rust prevention and reliability?

I'm a Floridian (transplanted from upstate New York) and since I only own two revolvers both stainless I would like an explanation of the process if it applies to me.

Thx,
Gary

Hi, new member here and I've never heard of grease packing a revolver before? Is it like slathering the whole gun for rust prevention and reliability?

I'm a Floridian (transplanted from upstate New York) and since I only own two revolvers both stainless I would like an explanation of the process if it applies to me.

Thx,
Gary
45D had a picture up of a packed revolver action that would be good for you to see. Basically he packs the interior of the frame where the bolt , springs and trigger is with Mobil one grease so that black powder fouling has no air space to be blown into that is not filled up with grease .

Latest posts

Back