• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Revolver grease packing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
45D had a picture up of a packed revolver action that would be good for you to see. Basically he packs the interior of the frame where the bolt , springs and trigger is with Mobil one grease so that black powder fouling has no air space to be blown into that is not filled up with grease .
I now do ALL SAA guns that way

45D had a picture up of a packed revolver action that would be good for you to see. Basically he packs the interior of the frame where the bolt , springs and trigger is with Mobil one grease so that black powder fouling has no air space to be blown into that is not filled up with grease .

Thanks MDL, here's a pic.
20230821_143831.jpg

This is before :
20230821_143622.jpg

Mike

Thanks much! I understand the purpose now.

that sounds like a good way to do it

I've been packing frames with Mobil1 for years and my customers seem to be happy with it. It comes from the Cowboy shooters as they had been doing it for yrs before I learned about it. Like you said, it keeps everything lubed and fouling from congregating. It migrates as the action is cycled. Cuts cleaning chores down to cylinder and barrel . . . and wipe the frame down.

I do it in my personal revolvers as well and they are all unmentionables.

Mike
got a question.so i go shoot my revolver.come home clean everything up. before i even shoot at all. the revolver is packed inside with mobile 1 grease. when i get home i dont have to take the inside of the revolver where trigger and hammer stuff is.how many times of shooting with it packed with grease before i need to take everything apart and clean it. as u can see im getting everything in order before i start letting the smoke roll. new at this cap and ball revolver shooting. just asking a honest question. because i dont know. lol im not young. 60 years old. but i want to learn. thats why im asking. i respect each and everyone of u all on here.

got a question.so i go shoot my revolver.come home clean everything up. before i even shoot at all. the revolver is packed inside with mobile 1 grease. when i get home i dont have to take the inside of the revolver where trigger and hammer stuff is.how many times of shooting with it packed with grease before i need to take everything apart and clean it. as u can see im getting everything in order before i start letting the smoke roll. new at this cap and ball revolver shooting. just asking a honest question. because i dont know. lol im not young. 60 years old. but i want to learn. thats why im asking. i respect each and everyone of u all on here.
Hah, 60 sounds like a spring chicken to me ! 😄

Lol, I hear ya!!
Typically, I tell cowboy shooters to check there's once a year. Some of these folks shoot as much in a couple of years than most "casual" shooters shoot in a lifetime! So, if they like what they see, close it back up. If they don't, scoop out what they can with a Q-tip and re-pack. Repeat.

For the "hobby" , "occasional", "casual" or target shooters . . . there's really no need to ever open them up . . . especially if an action shield is installed.

The cleaning regiment is - clean the barrel assy and cylinder as normal. Wipe down hammer and frame with patch using whatever solvent you normally use (damp not dripping). Dry and repeat with oily patch. Done.

Since mine are unmentionables using smokeless, I never open them (they have action shields).
20230309_151847.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Lol, I hear ya!!
Typically, I tell cowboy shooters to check there's once a year. Some of these folks shoot as much in a couple of years than most "casual" shooters shoot in a lifetime! So, if they like what they see, close it back up. If they don't, scoop out what they can with a Q-tip and re-pack. Repeat.

For the "hobby" , "occasional", "casual" or target shooters . . . there's really no need to ever open them up . . . especially if an action shield is installed.

The cleaning regiment is - clean the barrel assy and cylinder as normal. Wipe down hammer and frame with patch using whatever solvent you normally use (damp not dripping). Dry and repeat with oily patch. Done.

Since mine are unmentionables using smokeless, I never open them (they have action shields).
View attachment 293032

Mike
Hey MIKE. Thank you so much for helping me. I really appreciate you doing that for me.i will be asking more questions in the future thank u for your time and patience. Respect to you SIR.

Question about fouling. The 1858 Remington Navy I have is prone to getting fouled pretty bad around the cylinder pin. So much so, that by the 5th shot, it’s really hard to spin the cylinder to the 6th, and I have to use a mallet and dowel to get the pin out so I can clean up the pin and the cylinder center hole to fire any more, but the same thing happens on the next 6 rounds. By the 6th shot, I’m lucky to get it to spin.

I’ve tried using marine grade grease on the cylinder pin and that helps a bit, but I still have binding before shooting two full cylinders, and the grease makes a mess.

Any thoughts? *** Found Mike's explanation and fix for this problem after some more digging: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/packing-with-grease.139413/post-1953269

Last edited:
Lol, I hear ya!!

In an earlier post I saw a picture of the brass (I think) action shield. Where do I get one or how do I make it? Hard to tell from the picture. Thanks.

In an earlier post I saw a picture of the brass (I think) action shield. Where do I get one or how do I make it? Hard to tell from the picture. Thanks.

Following with the same question

Here ya go.
I drill a hole first and use a cut- off wheel to cut the slot down to it.

I cut a "hammer width" brass strip (.010" thick) and roll the end to make a "pin" to keep it in place. I mark where the trigger sits when hammer is at rest . . . that will be the length of the shield. If you cut it longer you can curl the end up so that it will catch cap hulls/frags from entering the frame. Here's pics.
20220317_151507.jpg

20220317_150833.jpg

Mike

Latest posts

Back