• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock lube; oil or grease ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
What is preferred when lubing the moving parts of the lock ; oil or grease ? It would seem the tumbler and tumbler axis should get a light smear of grease, along with the sear engagement. However I've been told never to use grease in the lock, oil only ; except frizzen foot, It gets grease. What do you used and why ? -Thanks

I use the old saying I was taught in school for modern firearms. If it rotates, oil it. If it slides, grease it. Grease is to be used sparingly though.
To me it is how fastidious you are about gun maintenance. I use oil but then I shoot and clean my guns often. If you are an occasional shooter or if it is a seldom used gun grease but sparingly

... However I've been told never to use grease in the lock ...

.... If it rotates, oil it. If it slides, grease it. Grease is to be used sparingly though.
Grease is more likely to accumulate burnt powder residue. So, if you're meticulous about cleaning after shooting it shouldn't be a problem. WRT to sear engagement, in my experience, too much lubrication is often not helpful.

I remember Jim Chambers being asked the most prevalent cause of lock problems. He was very adamant, they don't lubricate them!
I use Mobile 1 oil and Mobile 1 one grease. One purchase of each and my great grandchildren will still be using it, well hopefully.
Robin

Grease.
It also creates a barrier from the burning powder for the protection of the internal steel parts.
II don't know how many black powder firearms I have, but every one of them have been polished then greased with axle Grease. They're all like brand new today. Several were used hard and some were just used occasionally and put away..

I use Mobil 1 synthetic. I shoot often but my locks are pretty well sealed from smoke and stay pretty clean. I'll pull and clean them once or twice a year. Grease holds up well over time.
Agree !
I picked up the Mobil 1 full synthetic tip up from 45D / Mike.
May be not a traditional period lube like Sperm oil or bear grease works great on my guns.
Especially effective to lube & keep crud & cap frags out of the actions on my C&B revolvers !
Relic shooter

Latest posts

Back