• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olive oil vs Mineral oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using Liquid Wrench as a patch lube for the last few months. Fouling is about the same as Olive Oil/Peanut Oil/Safflower Oil, and I'm getting tighter groups than I've ever gotten before. Just a tiny drop on the patch, roll the patch with your fingers to distribute the oil.

LiquidWrenchPatchLube-1.jpg

You say you have been Italian most of your life. What part of your life haven't you been Italian???

On those occasions when I am French-Canadian. Many other times when I am English-American fighting for American freedom. :wink:
Those other OO using contries learned from the Italians. :grin:

There was a time I tried using WD-40 as a patch lube. The spray can made it very handy on the range. But, WD-40 seems to raise extreme and very unnatural passions in some people. So I quit using it just to avoid mass riots at Friendship. :wink: I really don't recall how well/bad it performed as a patch lube.

It might be easier to list products that are NOT used as RB patch lube. Are there any?

I thought it was getting good coverage.

Oilve oil? Yes, works great. Most vegetable oils do (Castor, Jojoba, Canola, Peanut, etc.)

Mineral oil? Haven't tried it, it's petroleum based and those usually leave tars when burned.

Seems to have been the concensus.

Put your trial oils in a dish with a piece of match material (use the same amounts of oil & patch for each test) and burn them and see what residue remains. But the airborne soot that drifts away would be the wildcard in that test. Obviously the pressure in a closed barrel upon ignition can't be duplicated without trying and firing the lubes.

Thanks for the “list”, I got some of each, just one drop, and mixed them all together to do a definitive test. Once and for all, to find the best lube ever. With that concoction I was able to shoot a 1/2”, one shot group at 100 yards, standing, off-hand, with my 50 cal TC Hawken! I thought it must be a fluke so I repeated it and lo and behold I did it again. This lube does not care what powder or how much and still shoots 1/2”, 1 shot holes at 100 yards.

Did we go south? Stumpy!

I use a 50/50 neatsfoot oil, bees wax mix for a hunting patch lube, leather conditioner, stock wax, lip balm, etc. I say for a "hunting lube"....for range work I just use a spit patch. That being said the neatsfoot oil available now is really "neatsfoot compound" and contains petroleum. Does anyone still sell genuine neatsfoot oil?

Does anyone still sell genuine neatsfoot oil?

Yes. It is Fiebings brand. I get mine at a shoe repair shop. BTW, I thought the "compound" type had silicone added, not petroleum. And, I find either pure or compound work just fine for leather. Never tried for patch lube.

Stumpkiller said:

Oilve oil? Yes, works great. Most vegetable oils do (Castor, Jojoba, Canola, Peanut, etc.)

Mineral oil? Haven't tried it, it's petroleum based and those usually leave tars when burned.

From now on, we'll lock the threads at the first sign of a consensus, to prevent them from going off topic. :wink:

I have never used minearal oil as a lube for PRBs but I have been told that mineral based oils (petrolium) leave a gummy residue. For that reason, I use only animal or vegetable oils. That being said, if you have used mineral oil and have found it to be a good oil and it doesn't leave a residue in your bore, I'd just go on using it. How can anyone argue with success?

flintlock62 said:
Dan Phariss said:
Ballistol is not meant to be a bullet lube.

????? :bull:

OK let me reword it.
I seriously doubt that 90 years ago when it was developed patch lube was part of the thought process.
Just because someone NOW who SELLS the stuff tells us its patch lube is no indication that this was its intended use when "invented".
I KNOW that the makers of WS cutting oil are not concerned with this when making this product.

So I REALLY doubt that Ballistol was developed with lubing patches in mind. But like a lot of stuff currently in use it has be pressed into use for this or since it increases sales the people who sell the stuff will tell you its great for almost anything. So they can make more money.
I have been gunsmithing since the 1960s and can honestly say I have managed to get by without ever having used the stuff.

Dan

If you never used it, then why even comment.I had
never used it till a few months ago & found it
to be good for not only cleaning the bore, but
a great lube also.

I,m not trying to get on you in any way.But we
all learn from one a other.It just like the mineral oil.

I mixed some in my bees wax & shot it threw my
Gibbs.It patterned as good at 200 yards as my
paper patch bullets.

Fly :v

Claude said:
Stumpkiller said:

From now on, we'll lock the threads at the first sign of a consensus, to prevent them from going off topic. :wink:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

My degree is in human behavior and the mind is an incredible organ - capable of making almost instantanious connections to recognize patterns and associations. Makes us able to do things like hit moving targets or remember a room from our past based on a smell.

But it sure makes staying on topic a living hell. Thanks for being mostly patient Claude. Some of us have short atten . . . Was that a bird?

679.jpg

Fly said:
If you never used it, then why even comment.I had
never used it till a few months ago & found it
to be good for not only cleaning the bore, but
a great lube also.

I,m not trying to get on you in any way.But we
all learn from one a other.It just like the mineral oil.

I mixed some in my bees wax & shot it threw my
Gibbs.It patterned as good at 200 yards as my
paper patch bullets.

Fly :v

THEN USE MINERAL OIL.
There are variables. Petroleum oil is BAD if it gets mixed with fouling and then the gun is fired, petroleum WAX is not a problem.
But if using unsuitable materials (and this may not be apparent until the problem is seen and requires rectifying) and the shoot DOES get a build up especially in the breech it may be REALLY HARD TO REMOVE. It requires BREAKING IT OUT. I posted this simply to INFORM SHOOTERS OF POTENTIAL PROBLEMS. I am not holding a gun to anyone's head to keep them from using what ever they want. But there are POTENTIAL PROBLEMS that do not exist with animal fats so far as I know. Nor is this SPECULATION.
Its a potential problem I don't need.
We have shooters who think having a near permanent build up in the bore (seasoning :rotf: ) is a good idea. I don't.
The fact that I have been shooting MLs for 45 years or so without using petroleum oils for patch lube tells ME its probably not needed.
Various natural oils, I mostly use animal oils and tallow, protect the bore while hunting and do a pretty good job of softening fouling. Beef tallow works surprisingly well in some rifles and anyone can get the base material and make it.
I used to make sheets of olive oil and beeswax for lube wads in BPCR loads but have gone over to SPG lube instead. So I have used Olive oil in a lube. Just don't see the point.
Being a long time friend of SPG I have learned, through him, a great deal about lube components and what works and what does not.

I have numerous other reasons for not using petroleum oils as patch lubes. For one thing while known in ancient times they were virtually unknown in Colonial America and even in 1859 only 2000 barrels of petroleum were produced in the US. Most fine mechanisms were oiled with Sperm oil even into the 20th century. Bear oil was also highly prized for firearms use. While many like to use Olive oil I doubt that most people would use it on firearms back in the day but this is speculation. Whale oil was a better choice and for the hunter bear oil was easy to make and was actually sold by bear hunters according to Ned Roberts. Kill some bears, sell the hides, render the fat to oil, keep some for personal use and sell the rest.
Deer and beef and I am sure hog fat makes an excellent tallow for patch lube if properly made. For most people in early America this was a cheap, easily obtainable and effective as a patch lube and bore protectant.
Tow and tallow was used to wipe fouling from bores. For one thing it did not wet the bore and allowed the rifle to be reloaded immediately without fear of wetting the charge after it was wiped.
Also animal oils are not likely to damage traditional stock finishes as petroleum distillate can. Petroleum oils also cause a form of wood rot that blackens the wood and weakens it. Old firearms with black streaks in the stock are an example of this. Since I don't use plastic stock finish I try to keep petroleum off the wood.

But there is little hype in magazine ads for tallow or other suitable animal based patch lubes and it can't be bought at Wall-Mart in a suitable form...
Shooting a ML lets me connect with my ancestors. So I tend to stay with traditional stuff for other than lock lubrication or storage protection. Sperm oil is now too hard to get to lube a lock with and there is no downside to petroleum or even synthetic lubes. Functionally they are the same as Sperm oil.

Dan

EXCERPT:

TECHNICAL DATA SHEETS FOR BALLISTOL Contents Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX

I use the "dry" patch system to shoot so I use WS oil,Ballistol with water.It works for me and it keeps things simple,one product for patch lube and metal preservation.Incidentally there is a large difference in plain old petroleum and highly refined mineral oil.While they both originate from crude oil the refining process changes mineral oil dramatically.Personally I hate anything "greasy"as a patch lube,but that's just me.By the way I don't think the bear,olives,vegetables or mineral oil ever intended to be used as patch lube either. :surrender: :surrender:

I don't think the bear,olives,vegetables or mineral oil ever intended to be used as patch lube either.

Now thats funny,Dan I'm just a kid
at 66 years old so maybe I can learn
from you.(wink) Fly :haha:

Fly said:
I don't think the bear,olives,vegetables or mineral oil ever intended to be used as patch lube either.

Now thats funny,Dan I'm just a kid
at 66 years old so maybe I can learn
from you.(wink) Fly :haha:

UHhhhh...... :confused: ...wuz anything ever intended to be used as patch lube? :idunno:

Back