• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mineral oil and Vasilene.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a jar of Vaseline handy……by the drill press. I smear it on drills for lubrication, seems to work ok.

To get back on the subject, we had a fellow show up at a match in the woods when the grass was really dry. He was shooting prelubed patches that smoldered and started a grass fire with 2 or 3 shots in a row when we made him quit shooting them. I don't know what brand of patches they were but they sure would start a fire.

I read somewhere that Vaseline and graphite make a good anti seizing compound for breech plugs. I also read that Vaseline will react with BP residue very badly. Another phrase for Vaseline (and I may be wrong but it goes back a time) is petroleum jelly, which, as a descriptive term, tells you whats in it. And I'm not referring to Napalm.

???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230723-101853~2.png
    Screenshot_20230723-101853~2.png
    612.1 KB · Views: 0
Vaseline is super flammable. Not a good choice for patch lube. I mix it with dryer lint to make fire starters and keep it in a plastic container near the hearth.

I don’t use it for anything else.
Allow me to introduce you to "vegetable oil."

A rag soaked in petroleum jelly will burn. a rag soaked vegetable oil will burn.

This forum is a bizarre combination of great advice and nonsense.

A rag soaked in petroleum jelly will burn. a rag soaked vegetable oil will burn.

This forum is a bizarre combination of great advice and nonsense

My go-to is bear grease and bees wax 50/50. I also have mink.

No vegetable oil for me thanks.

This forum is a bizarre combination of ill-tempered know it alls and some genuine people that seem to enjoy the sport and contribute.

This is what I recall from memory about vaseline. It's some sort of byproduct of the oil industry. It would collect on the refining equipment and guys discovered it would aid healing of cuts and burns. I think it's a waxy substance - a bit different than mineral oil.

I use it for a dielectric grease to help keep corrosion at bay in electrical connections. I used to use silicone grease because it plays well with rubber and plastic, until I learned that silicone grease can vaporize to some extent and get into relays causing them to fail.

To get back on the subject, we had a fellow show up at a match in the woods when the grass was really dry. He was shooting prelubed patches that smoldered and started a grass fire with 2 or 3 shots in a row when we made him quit shooting them. I don't know what brand of patches they were but they sure would start a fire.
I had it happened to me in about the middle of July a few years ago while using moose milk for patch Lube. I had done it the way I was told by putting it on and letting it somewhat dry and then I used the patches. The grass was dry but not real thick, and I didn't notice it at first but it really got my attention and I have never used that again. Right now I'm using Mr. Flint locker and so far the results have been very favorable, groups are small and I can load pretty consistently without wiping in between. Patches are only moderately damp. When it cools off I'll find out some more about my choice.
Squint

OK Folks. I wont argue. But in the mid seventies I built a .54 CVA hawkin kit (I bought at a Fry's Supermarket?) and this gun would not shoot well. I tried Vasaline and bingo. 1.5 " groups at 50. So nay sayers are nayed. I worked in THAT gun. Dont have the gun, have never tried it again. Twas my ol man suggested I try it as he saw me using differnt potions. As its petroleum based I would be hard pressed to try t again. I did try in my Bobcat .36 that fails with ANYTHING other than micro thin cotton patch SATURATED with pine scene Bore Butter. It wouldnt shoot Vasaline either.

This is what I recall from memory about vaseline. It's some sort of byproduct of the oil industry. It would collect on the refining equipment and guys discovered it would aid healing of cuts and burns. I think it's a waxy substance - a bit different than mineral oil.

I use it for a dielectric grease to help keep corrosion at bay in electrical connections. I used to use silicone grease because it plays well with rubber and plastic, until I learned that silicone grease can vaporize to some extent and get into relays causing them to fail.

They are both just random hydrocarbons.

Mineral oil is shortish chain and cyclic hydrocarbons. Petroleum Jelly has longer chains. Paraffin wax is the same thing with even long chains. They all come from refining petroleum.
The stuff you buy in stores that is food or health grade has been refined to remove unwanted chemicals.

Back