• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms Santa Fe .36 Range Update!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadriver

40 Cal
Reaction score
Well I just got back from the range after shooting almost 100 rounds of 36. I tried mink oil and I must say there no need to swab when shooting this stuff. It's a joy to reload without swabbing. I also tried my Bees wax and oil mixed 1:2. Went 8 round with that stuff before swabbing. It seems like the rifle like to be shot dirty. However, I keep getting random fliers with both mink oil and the Beeswax blend. I don't know why and it's driving me nuts. I keep the loading sequence exactly the same. I experienced the same fliers when I tried melted crisco and dry patch lubes. Please someone chime in on what's going on. I did manage 1 good group with the mink oil but the rest were more like 5" and I tried the same 5 shot group 5 times. Below are some of the targets.
20230818_193059.jpg
20230818_192959.jpg
20230818_192950.jpg
20230818_192937.jpg

Are you casting the balls? Are you weighing the balls? Are the weather conditions changing while shooting a group? Is the light changing? Are the sights secure in the dovetails? How stable is your rest?

Horizontal stringing is generally wind induced.

Vertical stringing is pressure build up from accumulation of fouling in the barrel.

Large groups in a pattern could be mild shooter's fatigue.

Are you casting the balls? Are you weighing the balls? Are the weather conditions changing while shooting a group? Is the light changing? Are the sights secure in the dovetails? How stable is your rest?

Horizontal stringing is generally wind induced.

Vertical stringing is pressure build up from accumulation of fouling in the barrel.

Large groups in a pattern could be mild shooter's fatigue.
Yes I cast my own balls, they are sorted by weight aswell. It was afternoon in the mid 60's. Winds were 15-25 mph however I wouldn't shoot till there was a lull in the breeze. Yes, sight are tight and the rest was a concrete shooting bench on bags.

Yeah, of course. Being able to be out shooting at all, is nice. 😎 If you were shooting off a bench rest, I found the difference in impact points interesting.
Exactly, the patches looked ok, they were pretty ragged on the edges. Package days.020 but u just used my mic and they are .016 compressed. My pillow ticking is .017 compressed. I found some denim material and it measure .023 compressed. That might be to tight, it may or may not deform the little ball. I can almost thumb start the cotton patches, but that pushing hard. I really wanna use the mink oil, even though it seem the beeswax and sweet oil grouped better. That beeswax really sucked getting outta my barrel though. Mink oil hardly even has any fouling and it loads so nice.

Exactly, the patches looked ok, they were pretty ragged on the edges. Package days.020 but u just used my mic and they are .016 compressed. My pillow ticking is .017 compressed. I found some denim material and it measure .023 compressed. That might be to tight, it may or may not deform the little ball. I can almost thumb start the cotton patches, but that pushing hard. I really wanna use the mink oil, even though it seem the beeswax and sweet oil grouped better. That beeswax really sucked getting outta my barrel though. Mink oil hardly even has any fouling and it loads so nice.
Agreed. I like mink oil, as well. Good luck!

Try a lighter powder charge, my .36s shoot best in the 20 to 30 grain range. Keep using the mink oil but try a .015 or .018 patch, The only time I use more powder is with a mini ball, 35-40 grains. My .36s don't like tight patches either.

Try a lighter powder charge, my .36s shoot best in the 20 to 30 grain range. Keep using the mink oil but try a .015 or .018 patch, The only time I use more powder is with a mini ball, 35-40 grains. My .36s don't like tight patches either.
I tried .018 pillow ticking patches last time out and they didn't do very well. They were ok I guess. I also tried down to a 25, 30,35,40,45,50. Seems like soon as you get away from 40gr, the impacts go all over. The beeswax and oil tightened up the group by I think that because the fouling was building up increasing the tightness of the patch along with velocity. I guess I could try .010 patches, couldn't hurt.

I did get some 0.022 compressed denim patches to fit into the barrel. They were snug but started. They wouldnt start unless they were lubed. So, maybe tomorrow I'll head to the range and give them a try.

That was my first thought. Try 30grn. with .010 patch mink oil then try the .015. If no improvement try 25grn just to see.

Both of my .36s don't like tight patch and balls. I use .010s and a .350 ball in my half stock Tradition and my full stock Pedersoli likes a .345 with a .010 patch. You said you were using a .351, why not try .350 ball and see if it helps.

Both of my .36s don't like tight patch and balls. I use .010s and a .350 ball in my half stock Tradition and my full stock Pedersoli likes a .345 with a .010 patch. You said you were using a .351, why not try .350 ball and see if it helps.
Cause I don't have any, and it's only 0.001 of an inch and id have to order them. Don't think that will matter. I did just get back from the range and the only thing that showed promise was mink oil and thin cotton t shirt material with 20gr of powder. Accuracy was ok. I shot 6 shots with the t shirt an were about a 6" group but 3 were left in an 1.5" group and 3 were right in a 2" group. I also tried spit patch with .018 pillow ticking and grouped 3 in a 3" circle with one about 4" low but center to the bull. The .023 denim went into a 7" group for 3 shots and were hard to load. I forgot some of my patch material at home so I had to cut the testing short. I also tried 15 grains but it was going everywhere with cotton t shirt and .018 ticking. I can't believe the t shirt material held up really well. No tears no holes except a couple patches had really small holes but weren't burt thru. I could reused most of those, fouling was also good. I just think they were a bit thin, I didn't mic then and the only reason I used those was because I forgot my other stuff. I actually use those to clean between shots.

Well barrel should be broken in by now so....? I will say my Bobcat .36 gave me 15 years of hades and groups as big or bigger than yours. Finally got a 1"group with insanely light cotton patch and saturated with pine scene bore butter. I see by other posts above that many apparently do better with light thin patch material. Try the lightest you can get (like curtian material/lining) and saturate it with bore butter. Also I would say mine is 25 grains (will kill anything outthere thatyer after with a .36).

Keep us posted. I Tried to order the flintlock model several times this weekend but the stupid website hung up on age verification "click an item in the list to proceed". Twrent no list. Then, alas a must not miss deal on a .36 1851 came by and slapped me and I bought it instead. I will keep my eye on this thread and if you can tighten up I may go ahead and get it. Gotta have a 1" group at 35 yds for me or a squirel head is not hitable.

Latest posts

Back