• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refurbing an old double 12

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had the good pleasure of dealing with Jim on a double 12 he had on here for sale. Thanks again, Jim. The gun is an old CVA that was assembled at the factory based on the info I gathered. Seems to me its an early 80s gun. I'm a very particular person and like everything I own to be as good as it can be in my eyes. The original lacquer had seen better days and was flaking off. Plus, I hate that golden factory tint, yuck! The wood around some of the furniture was turning green and tarnished as a result. I spent my weekend tearing it to pieces and refinishing it to my taste. I used cordovan leather dye. The pic of it dyed is right after wiping it on. I waited a few hours and very lightly steel wooled the raised grain back down to baby butt smooth as well as tamed the color down a tad. I used a lemon oil/bees wax rub in. I love the stuff. No, its not water "proof". But, man does it make crappy ol' beech look stunning when done right and I don't hunt in nasty weather much anymore. I cleaned up all the steel furniture with 0000 steel wool. It aint no pricey gun, but don't tell it that :) It functions just as it should. Strong springs in both locks. I do need to do some trigger work on the front/right barrel trigger. The rear/left trigger is perfect as is. I added a leather butt stock pad with 1" of padding to get the LOP where I needed it. I shouldered the gun and could see right up the barrels like a ski ramp. The extra inch brough the barrels down and planed out nicely. I will post some more pics tonight.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 9
  • cleaned up.jpg
    cleaned up.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • dyed.jpg
    dyed.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back