• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Okay, who is hoarding the #11 caps..lol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
During "the great shortage" of the pandemic era, I've had luck finding them at Scheels, and got lucky having two friends contact me when they found them in-stock places. I don't have thousands or anything crazy like that, but I have enough to last me for a while.

If the boomers have all the stock, then just who is doing all the buying now? I am a boomer and bought 500 caps last year and a few lbs of powder, that is the first supplies I bought since 2008.

Hey joemolf, thanks for the post. I have been looking at those and reading up on them. I am really considering ordering one.
How long have you been making caps with it ?
Thanks again
I have not made caps very long and bought as a backup. They do work. I found out about the tool during the lock down when we were hiding in NH. Lol I made a bunch of number 10s back in may. I purchased the one in the picture a few months later. I only found out about them from my son who was shooting up all my 22. They sell a little kit using the same chemicals to reprime used 22 cartridges. Reloading 22 is not something I want to do but they work if you’re desperate LOL. So I was playing with the colt I have and figured I’d try them. Not difficult to make I used double stick tape to hold them in place while waiting for them to dry. Keep the cat away from the work bench. If you scoff up the can with scotch brite the priming agent adheres better. I have heard some say they are fragile don’t over fill. I’m heading to NH probably the weekend coming I’ll post a picture of a finished cap.

I've had good luck with small out of the way gun shops. This past weekend I bought caps and a couple cans of Goex at a small shop in a log cabin that not many people frequent.

Been looking everywhere for #11 caps, seems no one has any in stock. I did find 2 places that said they have them, but minimum order was $200 and $300. Dont need that many supplies right now.
Just finished my first build, have everything I need now except the caps. :mad:
Guess I'll be waiting awhile longer to get to the range and work up a load.

Guess that will give me time to read up on all of the muzzleloading do,s and donts and as question.

Have a great day everyone
Bass pro shop had them in stock in the store.

Couple months ago, I bought 1,000 #11 caps on gunbroker. They were $85 plus $25 HazMat - so not too bad. They are the #11 magnum, my revolvers don't care a bit.
If you shop around a bit, and want them bad enough, you'll find some.
Tried to order a #11 cap maker, but the site is not responding to clicking on put them in the cart.

Couple months ago, I bought 1,000 #11 caps on gunbroker. They were $85 plus $25 HazMat - so not too bad. They are the #11 magnum, my revolvers don't care a bit.
If you shop around a bit, and want them bad enough, you'll find some.
Tried to order a #11 cap maker, but the site is not responding to clicking on put them in the cart.

Howdy, I ended up ordering some off gunbroker also, very inflated price. But if I want to shoot, beggars cant be choosy right.
I had thought about the #11 cap maker, but sent a couple of emails with questions. Never received any replies.

What I do to ship caps is to put a few tins in a box with other jink items and mail them with a fake return address. I haven't been caught yet!
I’ve shipped ammo via UPS and FEDEX; are percussion caps any different, you just have to apply the hazards material sticker on the box same sticker used when aerosols are shipped and caps weigh nothing I don’t remember needing as hazmat sticker only powder do cap somehow fall into that category? Anyway!

Back