• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

MAG-SPARK™

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Due to #11s being harder to find than an honest politician with a pocket full of hen's teeth, riding a unicorn around here, I just ordered a 209 6X1 adapter nipple for the Hawken. When it arrives, I'll be set for #11 which I have 0 of at this time, musket caps which I have about 1K of, and 209 primers which I also have about 1K of and are much easier to obtain around here. I also bought 2 prime-all kits and the #11 cap punch tool which I'm waiting to be delivered.
My goal is to have the Hawken setup so it'll be able to use any common ignition source including unmentionable rifle primers (talking to a machinist buddy on this one). The reasoning is that while I don't mind and actually enjoy sourcing and making my own components, I want to make it simple for whichever grandkid ends up with it so they'll actually shoot it. Hopefully after they shoot it a bit, they'll end up like I did wanting to do most everything their self. Another plus of this adapter is that rain has a far lesser chance of getting to the powder.
I personally will continue to use (and make my own soon) the traditional caps the rifle was designed for but there will be "options" if ever needed.

Due to #11s being harder to find than an honest politician with a pocket full of hen's teeth, riding a unicorn around here, I just ordered a 209 6X1 adapter nipple for the Hawken. When it arrives, I'll be set for #11 which I have 0 of at this time, musket caps which I have about 1K of, and 209 primers which I also have about 1K of and are much easier to obtain around here. I also bought 2 prime-all kits and the #11 cap punch tool which I'm waiting to be delivered.
My goal is to have the Hawken setup so it'll be able to use any common ignition source including unmentionable rifle primers (talking to a machinist buddy on this one). The reasoning is that while I don't mind and actually enjoy sourcing and making my own components, I want to make it simple for whichever grandkid ends up with it so they'll actually shoot it. Hopefully after they shoot it a bit, they'll end up like I did wanting to do most everything their self. Another plus of this adapter is that rain has a far lesser chance of getting to the powder.
I personally will continue to use (and make my own soon) the traditional caps the rifle was designed for but there will be "options" if ever
They are good for what they are made for. Suppose to work real well on some ML when using subs.

I have one on a Hawken. My concern is, considering my old, numb, bumbling fingers, I’ll drop the cap. Most likely in the dark or out of a tree stand. Just one more thing to have to keep up with.

I would reckon that if a certain ML needs the additional and hotter spark, as well as if one hunts in the rain a lot, then they would definitely be worth it.

I personally will continue to use (and make my own soon) the traditional caps the rifle was designed for but there will be "options" if ever needed.
No doubt they work at lighting up the powder charge, just suggest you carry an extra firing pin assembly, particularly while hunting. Drop that assembly into the leaves, mud or snow, and you are potentially done without a spare.

No doubt they work at lighting up the powder charge, just suggest you carry an extra firing pin assembly, particularly while hunting. Drop that assembly into the leaves, mud or snow, and you are potentially done without a spare.
I ordered 2 with it....I know how clumsy I am..😂

My goal is to have the Hawken setup so it'll be able to use any common ignition source including unmentionable rifle primers (talking to a machinist buddy on this one). The reasoning is that while I don't mind and actually enjoy sourcing and making my own components, I want to make it simple for whichever grandkid ends up with it so they'll actually shoot it.
Might also want to invest in several lengths of green, artillery/rocket fuse. Works for a last option and a possible future situation where you need to put meat in the pot. Also works for model rockets, which is something for another part of this forum.

LD

Might also want to invest in several lengths of green, artillery/rocket fuse. Works for a last option and a possible future situation where you need to put meat in the pot. Also works for model rockets, which is something for another part of this forum.

LD
1000007649.jpg

Already squared away on that one...

Has anyone made a Mag spark or similar primer device? Pictures?

Last edited:
We all bought a mag spark or something similar back in the 70s, it looked the same as the one pictured above. We all quickly abandoned it.

Here is what I found back in the day; perhaps they are better now. First off, they work, no cap popping even on rainy days. These are a one-shot deal, when I used one the 209 primer would expand in the cup when you shot and was very difficult to get out, it took a thin blade sharp knife to pry the spent primer out, even then it took a while to get it to turn loose. For me the overall time between shots would be a couple of minutes after you loaded the rifle just replacing the 209 primer. Handling the firing assembly with cold fingers was problematical as well.

Perhaps they have made improvements since the 70s, if not, I wouldn't buy one.

Last edited:
Handling the firing assembly with cold fingers was problematical as well.

Perhaps they have made improvements since the 70s
I doubt your cold fingers have had any improvements to their problematic handling abilities since the 1960s. I know my fingers haven’t made any improvements in their handling abilities, particularly when cold.

I use them periodically, most recently when I had trouble with dud cci #11 caps. They work ok with the 777 shotgun primers.

...when I used one the 209 primer would expand in the cup when you shot and was very difficult to get out, it took a thin blade sharp knife to pry the spent primer out, even then it took a while to get it to turn loose.
It still happens. Certain brands of primers worse. Instructions mention which ones; I can't remember. I was thinking of making a little parrot beak removal plier to grip the rim.

...For me the overall time between shots would be a couple of minutes after you loaded the rifle just replacing the 209 primer...
Same here. Can't be in a hurry, nope.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back