• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1858 brass Army arrived.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelariz

36 Cl.
Reaction score
1858 Remington (Pietta) Army & a pietta pepperbox.

Unfortunately it appears they over tighted the screw on the grips and made a small chipped piece on one end and the screw sticking out a bit on the other end. So i will now have to find some grips for this thing. Everything else seems to be in proper working order.
The brass has a couple spots where the polisher didnt quite get it perfect but for 300 beans it qas a decent score for me.
I only found number 11 caps so i will wait till i find tens to make it smoke.

I will probably mix up some beez wax and crisco or find bore butter where i find the #10 caps.
I see a new collection of expensive toys coming up.

Attachments

• 20230705_113817.jpg
    20230705_113817.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
Well, good then and congratulations but why brass, exactly?

I bought a steel frame Pietta .36 Remington from Cabela’s in 2011. It came with an over tightened grip screw that had cracked one grip panel. I sent it back and got a good one. You should go and do likewise.
Maybe think steel while you’re at it.

Congratulations on your new plinker. I put slixshot nipples on my 51 Navy and 60 Army. They work with #11 caps, which I can find easier and cheaper than #10's. Have to warn you, the Rabbit Hole you are going down gets addicting! Lots of fun though! Enjoy your first (and bet not your last) cap n ball revolver.

Congratulations on your new plinker. I put slixshot nipples on my 51 Navy and 60 Army. They work with #11 caps, which I can find easier and cheaper than #10's. Have to warn you, the Rabbit Hole you are going down gets addicting! Lots of fun though! Enjoy your first (and bet not your last) cap n ball revolver.
I got the brass initially because most were sold out and im a sucker for shiny things.
However, i plan to buy a dragoon and one of the steel frames when they are more available. I am going to assume the tv shows related to Yellow stone has made these tools more popular. The fad will pass soon. People tend to be fickle. Ive always wanted the old style firearms after i watched Tuco mix different pistols parts together in the GB&U movie.

The cone is the cap (outside) end of a nipple. He's just saying his experience with #10 caps is that they work fine with the Pieta factory nipples. My guns are Ubertis and I changed out their factory nipples for Slixshot nipples, because they suck caps like crazy with the Uberti factory nipples.

https://www.slixprings.com/proddetail.php?prod=SliXshot-Black-Powder-Nipples
I bought some #11 caps just because that was all there was at that particular store. In my travels i hope to find some 10s.

With properly fitting caps (e.g. No.10 Remington) stock Pietta cones work great, for decades.
Yes they do. when you can find them.
I got the brass initially because most were sold out and im a sucker for shiny things.
However, i plan to buy a dragoon and one of the steel frames when they are more available. I am going to assume the tv shows related to Yellow stone has made these tools more popular. The fad will pass soon. People tend to be fickle. Ive always wanted the old style firearms after i watched Tuco mix different pistols parts together in the GB&U movie.
You will get a lot of mileage from your brass frame if you don't load too hot, and over shoot it as they can stretch. Main thing is you have one, and are happy with it. PM me if you are having trouble finding #10's. Next time I'm in Connecticut to visit my son, I'll donate some to the cause.

I am on the look out for #10s and have a buddy looking too.
So far i only see shady looking vendors that only take paypal or zelle. That just raises red flags for me. I dont like messing about with those alternative payments.

I'll second slixshot nipples, Treso nipples too. #11s are way easier to find, get aftermarket nipples and you will be able to use either. I'll also second asking Pietta to make right on the grips. PM inbound

I'll second slixshot nipples, Treso nipples too. #11s are way easier to find, get aftermarket nipples and you will be able to use either. I'll also second asking Pietta to make right on the grips. PM inbound
I wont be sending the pistol back just because Commie CT will probably outlaw them while i wait for its return.
Half joking but in a state that says i need a permit to buy ammo i dont want to give Uncle Commie a chance to confiscate my pistol(s).

Will the slixshot fit the Pepper Box as well?

Nothing wrong with brass frames. Just don't load it to maximum possible powder charge under a conical and you will enjoy a long life of shooting from one.

I'm currently staring at 8 Pietta brass framed revolvers in both .36 and .44 cal. And one very early engraved Classic Arms brass framed double barrel derringer. Two steel framed Uberti revolvers. Other than the short arbors on the Ubertis, NONE of the fore-mentioned pistols have ever let me down. No 'stretching'. No arbor pulling. No peening of the frame. Then again I'm not cramming as much as I can of T7 under conicals in these guns. 36's get 18grs to 22grs of fffg real black under ball or conical. 44's get 20grs to 24grs of fffg real black under ball or conical. Except for Dragoon that gets 30grs fffg real black under ball or conical. 18grs of fffg real black under a ball in a 36 will kill you dead. It's not a toy. No need to cram as much powder under the ball or conical that can be rammed home with maximum pressure possible to do the job. Paper or game or defense.

I’ve never watched Yellow Stone but if what you say is true, there should be lots of unfired BP revolvers hitting the market (with damaged nipples from dry firing) pretty soon.

I think that most who would buy a firearm because they saw it on a TV show would give up once they tried to find caps, powder, etc. too much trouble and expense. Play cowboy for a while and then sell their toy to try and recoup a few bucks.

Back