• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

November 2020 Postal Match - Tic Tac Toe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
November Tic Tac Toe

This month's target will require a little modification after printing, so get your art supplies ready. 😨

You will need a ruler and a pencil or marker of whatever color you prefer. Simply follow the pictorial instructions attached.

Grab your target here ----> Tic Tac Toe Target

Write your Forum Screen Name on your target!

The distance will be 25 yards.
Five shots only.
Shots will be off hand only - Standing with no support aids.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK. Pistol targets will be scored in their own class. You can submit both a rifle and a pistol target.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Scoring will be as follows:
X = 2 points
O = 1 point
Tic Tac Toe = 5 point bonus

Shoot only one shot per square. Squares with multiple shots will only be scored for one shot at the highest value. You have the opportunity to score two Tic Tac Toes with 5 shots.

Perfect Score = 20 points which is 2 Tic Tac Toes scored on all X’s.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than November 30th, to:

Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: November Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!

MSmith

Attachments

• TicTacToe01.jpg
    TicTacToe01.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 191
  • TicTacToe02.jpg
    TicTacToe02.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 183
  • TicTacToe03.jpg
    TicTacToe03.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 195
  • TicTacToe04.jpg
    TicTacToe04.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 200
Targets in the mail. How are shots touching the line between the x and the o scored? Highest value? 🤔
Just like always, the portion of the target in which most (over half) of the ball penetrates the paper.

The standing rule reads as follows...
Scoring will be as follows:
How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Just a thought about coloring those squares: I like and need plenty of contrast in my targets (incipient cataract in 1 eye + shooting into the SE/low sun this time of year), and thus suggest using a black felt Magic Marker to darken the squares, then use the "best" setting on your printer to print as many targets as you'd like. Although wasteful of ink, you'll get a higher contrast target, which should be easier to see and hit.

What exactly are we shooting at? The X or O or the shaded and unshaded area?

Last edited:
What exactly are we shooting at? The X or O or the shaded and unshaded area?
Shade the squares as noted. The shaded area with the X's have a higher score. Shoot the shaded area. Only shoot at a square, X or O, once. Get a Tic Tac Toe for a 5 point bonus. So if your Tic Tac Toe consists of 3 X's the score would be 6 plus the 5 point bonus for a total of 11 points.

I enjoyed the art session on this one.

The target was a bit of a mind game. It's odd trying to hit corners of a target when most your life you've had center mass, ten rings and X's drilled into your head!

Anyways. Mines in the mail.

A suggestion.
Why not move the distance for pistol in to say 15 yards.
I would certainly do better but it is a victory for me to hit the paper with five shots at 25. We would probably get more pistol entries at the closer range though so it is a good thought. Why not try it for a few months although with winter coming on we will see less entries anyhow. There are quite a few wimps, me included. Lots of us live in snow country.

Back