• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

November Postal Match Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

November 5 is National Donut Day!​

This month's target is dedicated to all active and retired law enforcement officers:ThankYou: All kidding aside, I sincerely appreciate the difficult job you do, especially with all of the crazy things happening in this country these days.

Three categories: rifle, smoothbore, (smoothbore must not be equipped with rear sight - front sight/bead only) or handgun

Two ways to shoot: Offhand from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun.
Bench rest/supported from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun

Mark your targets as offhand or benchrest/supported.

5 shots for score

Hits in the donut hole count 10 points
Hits anywhere else in the donut/icing score 5 points
Ball must be half way into the target area to score points. Maximum score is 50 pts.

Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target per category with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please score your own targets and write your score on the target along with information on the load you used. I will check scores and it helps me if you will draw a line to each hole in the target and write your points for each shot - makes it easier for me to check the targets:thumb:

Prize is same as always - bragging rights on the forum!
I will be posting October results next week.

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary

Attachments

• Nov 2023 Target.pdf
    57 KB · Views: 0

November 5 is National Donut Day!​

This month's target is dedicated to all active and retired law enforcement officers:ThankYou: All kidding aside, I sincerely appreciate the difficult job you do, especially with all of the crazy things happening in this country these days.

Three categories: rifle, smoothbore, (smoothbore must not be equipped with rear sight - front sight/bead only) or handgun

Two ways to shoot: Offhand from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun.
Bench rest/supported from 25 yards with rifle or smoothbore or 15 yards with handgun

Mark your targets as offhand or benchrest/supported.

5 shots for score

Hits in the donut hole count 10 points
Hits anywhere else in the donut/icing score 5 points
Ball must be half way into the target area to score points. Maximum score is 50 pts.

Shoot as many times as you wish but please only post one target per category with pictures of target (and gear, if possible - we love to see everyone's equipment and load data!) Post jpg or pdf formats. Please score your own targets and write your score on the target along with information on the load you used. I will check scores and it helps me if you will draw a line to each hole in the target and write your points for each shot - makes it easier for me to check the targets:thumb:

Prize is same as always - bragging rights on the forum!
I will be posting October results next week.

Have fun and stay safe!

Gary
Yes! Thank you Gary.

Had a half way decent day for November, little snow and temperatures in lower 30’s, so I thought I would go burn some powder. Didn’t do as well as I had hoped for, but still didn’t do to bad. Hope to get out later this month to shoot my rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Just got home from the range and the Nov. donut frolic. I shot my targets with a 20ga. NW Trade Gun replica (Green River Forge) using a Tanner rasped .597" RB *target #1) and a Lee Precision .597" - .598" RB (target #2) . With the Tanner RB, I used a .018" patch; with the Lee, .014". Both loads used 65gr. GOEX/Graf's FFg and 1 Ballistol : 6 water patch lube. Both targets (25 yd,) were fired supported, i.e., kneeling with my right arm on the bench. For the record, the SB doesn't have a rear sight, which is something you get used to right quick.

Scoring: 30 pts.. for #1 and 25 for #2?

Attachments

• IMG_6505.jpeg
    IMG_6505.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Just got home from the range and the Nov. donut frolic. I shot my targets with a 20ga. NW Trade Gun replica (Green River Forge) using a Tanner rasped .597" RB *target #1) and a Lee Precision .597" - .598" RB (target #2) . With the Tanner RB, I used a .018" patch; with the Lee, .014". Both loads used 65gr. GOEX/Graf's FFg and 1 Ballistol : 6 water patch lube. Both targets (25 yd,) were fired supported, i.e., kneeling with my right arm on the bench. For the record, the SB doesn't have a rear sight, which is something you get used to right quick.

Scoring: 30 pts.. for #1 and 25 for #2?
The rasped balls grouped well! I'm impressed. Thanks for the comparison. :thumb:

051.jpg

T/C Hawken percussion .45
55 grains of 3F
Maxi ball with maxi lube
Score 25

Shot off hand.
Hope to get out before the end of the month and try my smoothie on this target.

I love donuts. The Mrs and I eat one apiece on Sunday before Church. Got to have a cup of Joe at the same time and the Sunday paper.

First time participating in this, been printing each months target for last 3 months and finally got to get out and shoot some.
Rifle is a .54 Allen F.A. Santa Fe Hawken (actually .53 cal).
And I forgot to include the grain of powder, which was 80 gr for both targets.
Shot one off hand and one rested on a single shooting stick.
Didn't seem to make much difference.
First 2 shots off the stick were low while I was trying to figure the sight picture, last 3 went better.
Off hand target is my usual, start out blazing with a couple in or near the bull, then... gradually flame out under the pressure of trying to keep a good thing going. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• NovPT2.jpg
    NovPT2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NovPT1.jpg
    NovPT1.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Shot View attachment 268203Rifled and smoothbore off hand today. Guess I need a donut spare tire to score higher. Shot them at the end of the monthly match in Jacksonville, Fla. Good news is I got one of the shooters interested in the Forum. Smoothbore score 15, Rifled 20. Thanks, Gary!
How many shooters over there in Jacksonville? I am going to try and make it there next month.

How many shooters over there in Jacksonville? I am going to try and make it there next month.
We had 11 I believe. 6 targets, 5 rifle, 1-100 yd, 2-50, 3-25 yd. 5 shots each. 1-25 pistol 10 shots. (Pistol target optional). Get there 7-7:20 AM, set target stand, get acquainted. Shooting starts at 8, done by 11 AM. A great group of people. Next shoot 12/9, Gateway Rifle and Pistol Club.

Last edited:
Back