• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to the forum and Muzzleloading and I need some help with a Rifle decision.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Forum, I live down in Price, Maryland on the Eastern Shore. I've hunted up your way before with another user on here up in Tunnel Hill which is very close to you. It depends on where you hunt. If you are hunting by the long runs of high tension wires or near the old canal locks and 15 mile creek then the Long Rifle is the way to go. If you are hunting the thick woods near the border with West Virginia than I suggest going with a shorter rifle maybe even a Jaeger or a European weapon. The forum member I hunted with was Greasy_Jesus and he was carrying an 1817 Common Rifle in .54 cal I think it had a 38" barrel and it looked quite handy. I hunted some thick woods with him and we were stalking no tree stand stuff. My Bess which is 59.25" long OAL was too long I was constantly getting hung up in the thicket. It all depends on your hunting grounds. I would suggest bumping up the caliber though to a .54 or .58 caliber. You can get a lot more out it in your neck of the woods and the mountain deer seem to be a bit tougher than the drowned rats we have down here.

.50 caliber will be fine for your stated purpose. The slight difference in barrel length won't make a significant difference in performance.
If it were me and the "Getz" gun has a clean bore, and the lock sparks well, I think that is where I would go. Assuming it is within budget
I don't have the space to work on a kit, even as close to finished as a Kibler is. And have no real desire to get into gun building.
Is your friend that directed you here knowledgeable enough to look at the gun and make sure you aren't buying someone else's headache?

Oh, and use the ramrod and make sure the gun in the shop isn't loaded before testing for spark.
My friend went with me yesterday to look at it and he said to forget about it he dropped a bore scope camera down in it and found the breech area ? I guess that is what it is called, where you charge and ball sit. Anyway it was completely rusted and corroded and the touch hole was blocked by the rusting the hammer also won't stay at half cock it is either ready or not.

Spend a few days reading a few hundred of the threads on here about choosing a rifle. Then when fully confused by the different answers buy a Kibler colonial rifle in 54 calibre and live a happy life with a rifle you’ll know is first rate.
I will be looking in that direction soon those Kiblers look nice and a few other users agree with going from .50 to .54 at least.

Welcome to the Forum, I live down in Price, Maryland on the Eastern Shore. I've hunted up your way before with another user on here up in Tunnel Hill which is very close to you. It depends on where you hunt. If you are hunting by the long runs of high tension wires or near the old canal locks and 15 mile creek then the Long Rifle is the way to go. If you are hunting the thick woods near the border with West Virginia than I suggest going with a shorter rifle maybe even a Jaeger or a European weapon. The forum member I hunted with was Greasy_Jesus and he was carrying an 1817 Common Rifle in .54 cal I think it had a 38" barrel and it looked quite handy. I hunted some thick woods with him and we were stalking no tree stand stuff. My Bess which is 59.25" long OAL was too long I was constantly getting hung up in the thicket. It all depends on your hunting grounds. I would suggest bumping up the caliber though to a .54 or .58 caliber. You can get a lot more out it in your neck of the woods and the mountain deer seem to be a bit tougher than the drowned rats we have down here.
That's amazing, Tunnel hill is only 8-10 miles away. That gives me some good insight as the terrain is similar. I used to hunt with Grandfather over at Log Roll. What is a Jaeger? Also what is European style ? Is a Jaeger a Long Rifle as well ? The Commom rifle he was carrying where did he get that from ? A lot of other members say the same about .54 cal so I will definitely go in that direction.

I will second the trip to Dixon's or anywhere they will let you shoulder some rifles.
Shoulder them and hold the sights on a spot on the wall or whatever for a few seconds, if its uncomfortable don't buy it, keep searching and you will eventually find one that feels just right. Then your muzzleloading journey can begin.

I would try to find a flintlock friendly club(winter woods walks/shoots) and or a store in your state/area that is flintlock friendly, here in pa Dixons ,ohio Log cabin . That way you can get hands on and first hand know how on what fits you and your bugget. There is a learning curve with flintlocks but it is well worth the time and pleasure. I've never ben there but there is fort chambers black powder gun shop near the pa md boarder, others might chime in

greetings from central MD LonePIne!

the gentlemen at Fort Chambers are 1st rate. you can see some builds and ask away.
The Maryland Antique Arms show - Baltimore this March. you can check out an array
of guns and meet local gunsmiths. both have websites. good luck & enjoy the forum!

That's amazing, Tunnel hill is only 8-10 miles away. That gives me some good insight as the terrain is similar. I used to hunt with Grandfather over at Log Roll. What is a Jaeger? Also what is European style ? Is a Jaeger a Long Rifle as well ? The Commom rifle he was carrying where did he get that from ? A lot of other members say the same about .54 cal so I will definitely go in that direction.
A Jaeger Rifle or Jäger Rifle is a Germanic Style hunting rifle. They tend to have barrels ranging from 28" to 38" (most are around 31"-34") and tend to be in .54-.62 caliber. They are a shorter handier weapon which were favored by Europeans and German immigrants to America. A European Style follows the same area as the Jaeger as they are typically shorter than a long rifle with barrels at about 36"-40" and usually are half stocked (meaning stock doesn't go all the way to the end of the barrel). The Jaeger is not considered a Long Rifle however there are American Jaeger Rifles which have 40" barrels. The Commom Rifle that he was carrying was an original he bought at an Antique show in Ohio and it was made in 1821. .54 caliber will take anything on the American continent. So will .58 but .54 has more readily available ammunition and supplies compared to .58 however you can purchase .58 online at places like Track of the Wolf, MidwayUSA, October Country and many other places online. I had the chance to buy an original Jaeger I few months ago in .58 caliber and I passed on it. If .54 is your desired direction I suggest an option for the Jaeger. Try out the Pedersoli Jaeger Flintlock (I'd look into the target model) it is a very handy flintlock. Although I don't own one a good friend of mine does and they are a good brush gun and he has taken shots on deer at 112 yards being his longest successful shot. I now hunt with my newly acquired Pedersoli Mortimer in .54 cal however I don't recommend that to a beginner in Muzzleloading. Once again if set on a long rifle Kibler Colonial in .54 caliber is a good route. A 44" barrel is good enough no reason to go out there in the woods with a 48"+ barrel especially when trying to stalk an animal. Those are just some recommendations,

A Jaeger Rifle or Jäger Rifle is a Germanic Style hunting rifle. They tend to have barrels ranging from 28" to 38" (most are around 31"-34") and tend to be in .54-.62 caliber. They are a shorter handier weapon which were favored by Europeans and German immigrants to America. A European Style follows the same area as the Jaeger as they are typically shorter than a long rifle with barrels at about 36"-40" and usually are half stocked (meaning stock doesn't go all the way to the end of the barrel). The Jaeger is not considered a Long Rifle however there are American Jaeger Rifles which have 40" barrels. The Commom Rifle that he was carrying was an original he bought at an Antique show in Ohio and it was made in 1821. .54 caliber will take anything on the American continent. So will .58 but .54 has more readily available ammunition and supplies compared to .58 however you can purchase .58 online at places like Track of the Wolf, MidwayUSA, October Country and many other places online. I had the chance to buy an original Jaeger I few months ago in .58 caliber and I passed on it. If .54 is your desired direction I suggest an option for the Jaeger. Try out the Pedersoli Jaeger Flintlock (I'd look into the target model) it is a very handy flintlock. Although I don't own one a good friend of mine does and they are a good brush gun and he has taken shots on deer at 112 yards being his longest successful shot. I now hunt with my newly acquired Pedersoli Mortimer in .54 cal however I don't recommend that to a beginner in Muzzleloading. Once again if set on a long rifle Kibler Colonial in .54 caliber is a good route. A 44" barrel is good enough no reason to go out there in the woods with a 48"+ barrel especially when trying to stalk an animal. Those are just some recommendations,
That must be cool to own an original flintlock a lot of history in a piece of wood and steel. I was looking up pictures of this Pedersoli Jaeger and it seems like a handy little flintlock. I was kind of dead set on a long rifle but now I am kind of intrigued by this rifle. It would be nice in the brush due to its size and if it can take deer at 100 yards that is nice too. It is also like you said .54 caliber and it is a completed weapon. I'm going to see if any of these guns are in-stock around me and see if I can look at it. I like the Kiblers but I won't be able to hold one since you have to buy online. I looked at the Mortimer as well. That gun looks heavy and cumbersome and very hard to hunt with in my opinion. Maybe I might be able to find an original rifle somewhere as well. Thank you for the recommendations.

Take a look at my 54 cal smoothbore LonePine. She’s good for deer, grouse, rabbits. I hunt in thick Rhododendron and seldom take a shot beyond 60-70 yards. Welcome to this great gathering of “living history” friends.

In my thumbnail photo at the left of this post I am holding my 50 cal. Danish/Norwegian M 1791 replica made by me. In my Jaeger regalia. Lone Pine, I do belief you will be happy with a Pedersoli Jaeger in .54cal. And welcome from the other side of the great water.!

I don’t think it’s a bad thing to get a real nice rifle as your first one, but unless you’re a bazillionaire, dropping that kind of skrilla on a gun you don’t like would be a real bummer. Make sure if you don’t ease into it with a cheaper rifle, that you try some other people’s rifles first. Offer to pay for gas or powder. It’ll be money well spent. Also, there’s definitely a learning curve to this stuff, be prepared to be frustrated a little when you get started. It’s not clack clack bang like modern weapons.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing to get a real nice rifle as your first one, but unless you’re a bazillionaire, dropping that kind of skrilla on a gun you don’t like would be a real bummer. Make sure if you don’t ease into it with a cheaper rifle, that you try some other people’s rifles first. Offer to pay for gas or powder. It’ll be money well spent. Also, there’s definitely a learning curve to this stuff, be prepared to be frustrated a little when you get started. It’s not clack clack bang like modern weapons.
My friend was letting me hunt this year with his Thompson Center Renegade Flintlock .50 Caliber. He was going to sell it to me for $425.00 but I wanted a Long Rifle. But the Pedersoli Jaeger looks like a decent rifle. I just don't know the pro and cons of a Jaeger v A Long Rifle. SmoothboreMurph PM'd me and told me if I wanted to I could come down to his farm and that his friend would let me shoot his Pedersoli Target Jaeger and Murph would let me use his Mortimer to see what a liked and didn't like. I don't know anyone with a long rifle though but I have held a few and shouldered them but they were caplocks.

Have you looked at the Pedersoli Frontier? They have a good reputation, are available in .54 flint and won't break the bank. When you decide to move up to a fancier or more expensive gun you can sell it for most of what you paid for it. Ease into this, your first flintlock won't be your last.

My friend was letting me hunt this year with his Thompson Center Renegade Flintlock .50 Caliber. He was going to sell it to me for $425.00 but I wanted a Long Rifle. But the Pedersoli Jaeger looks like a decent rifle. I just don't know the pro and cons of a Jaeger v A Long Rifle. SmoothboreMurph PM'd me and told me if I wanted to I could come down to his farm and that his friend would let me shoot his Pedersoli Target Jaeger and Murph would let me use his Mortimer to see what a liked and didn't like. I don't know anyone with a long rifle though but I have held a few and shouldered them but they were caplocks.
Sounds like a great opportunity. Id take them up on it. Can’t hurt and you’ll learn what you like and don’t. I have heard a lot of guys on here praise the Renegade. It comes down to preferences and nothing beats in person handling/shooting to get an idea of what you like.

Have you looked at the Pedersoli Frontier? They have a good reputation, are available in .54 flint and won't break the bank. When you decide to move up to a fancier or more expensive gun you can sell it for most of what you paid for it. Ease into this, your first flintlock won't be your last.
I actually did, I looked at one that was in .32cal just picking it up and shouldering it, looking at the sights and to be honest it didn't feel right. The sights weren't that good in my opinion and I didn't like the curve of the stock into my shoulder. It reminds me of the Kentucky made by traditions which I didn't like at all. My local gunsmith was selling the .32 cal for $900. SmoothboreMurph told me his friend got his Jaeger for $1100. There would only be a $200 difference which isn't much and if Pedersoli holds its value like you say I can always sell I guess.

Back