• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEED SOME ACCURACY HELP

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have another flintlock with open sights that shoots better? As we age we typically lose a bit of vision clarity. This may be close to the best you can do with a flintlock.

Sometimes the 3f comes out of the vent a bit and the 2f doesn't, I wonder if that can give me the inconstant lock time or is it the lock? On the target the 2f seemed to do a bit better except for the last group, but the rifle was getting pretty fouled by then. I don't swab between shot I let the patched ball do the cleaning. It seems to me that the inconstant time between trigger pull and bang is giving me the problem.

Yes, a 1/16" vent can self prime as I've proven to myself several times before. I'd guess this characteristic could help with ignition of the main charge but I don't actually know if it does or not.

Yes, a 1/16" vent can self prime as I've proven to myself several times before. I'd guess this characteristic could help with ignition of the main charge but I don't actually know if it does or not.
I shot this target this morning, I think I got it. Both are 5 shot groups, center is first, upper left is second. The first was not bad, but after the second to prove the first I said good enough. I think the self priming hurts, it may leave a gap in the powder collum. The 2f swiss I used the other day was better over the 3f swiss. Today I used 2f Goex which is a bit coarser and not as shinny and did not self prime. The lock time was very consistent today. Used .490 ball, 70gr 2f Goex and .022 patch. I also changed the sights which I have done before without improvement. I do believe the 2f Goex and no self prime made the difference in lock time and the group. This was 50 yds.
Thanks Guys

Last edited:
Got rushed to the store and forgot the target. Upper left is like 5 shots in 1 inch. Looks like I had 1 flyer on the center group. Targets a bit wet so 1 hole looks like 2.
WIN_20231201_11_48_25_Pro.jpg

Do you have another flintlock with open sights that shoots better? As we age we typically lose a bit of vision clarity. This may be close to the best you can do with a flintlock.
Yes a Tenn. Mt. rifle in 40 cal. The latest target is on par with the 40 cal, and I'm satisfied with it. At my age (75) I think it's ok.

I have several hooked breech guns and find there are several things to do to minimize bbl. shifting in the stock and thus, improve accuracy. First, make sure the wedges are tight (there are several ways to accomplish this). Second, wrap some teflon tape, preferably the yellow container kind (for gas stuff) around the tang so it too is tight. Third, don't remove the bbl. & wedges from the stock when you clean the gun in order to keep things "tight." Last, and optionally, polish the lock innards and trigger bars, especially where they bear on the sear polish that too): You want a smooth and light trigger release for obvious reasons.

These are targets I shot with two different rifles; 50 and 54 caliber. I was filing and tapping during this session to get the sights set and was at 100 yards. I used same pillow ticking .018" with Canola oil for lube on all shots and was shooting KIK 2F powder 100 grains all shots. Used 530 Hornady swaged and the 490 ball for the 50. After the filing and tapping process moved the shots to the middle I quit....good enough!

IMG_1933 by Sharps Man, on Flickr
!

I don't rush when I do this because at my age speed isn't necessary as nobody is attempting to lift my scalp.....the hair is gone anyway. Bout the best advice I can give anyone having accuracy issues is if you aren't seeing the front sight clearly it would be good idea to see the eye Doc! Glasses aren't cheap but they're sometimes necessary!

Latest posts

Back