• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to the forum and Muzzleloading and I need some help with a Rifle decision.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonePine

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just joined the forum today when a buddy of mine said I can get some of my questions answered here. I am new to Muzzleloading in general. I had an old Inline and it is a cheap as they come rifle I picked up for $25 at a flea market in .44 cal. I have always wanted a flintlock and saw that they can be expensive so for the past year I have been saving up some money. I have a decision to make but I dont know where to start. A local gunsmith shop is selling a .50 cal 46" Barrel with a 1/56 twist long rifle for $2,000 and it is a "Getz". I have also seen a lot of posts on this forum about Kibler Colonials and looked them up I see they have 44" barrel .54 and .58 cal rifles and they can go up to 2,000+ already done besides stain. Which is what I want since I have Huntington's Disease and woodworking precisely is out of the question. Does the barrel length matter at all when it comes to being longer ? I only hunt White Tail deer and I'm in the mountains of Maryland so farthest shots with open sights would be 75~80 yards. Is .50 cal good enough or should I go up to .54 or .58. Anyone know of other gun makers who can make up a rifle as well ? All replies and thoughts are welcome as I really don't know where to start and could really use the help.

.50 caliber will be fine for your stated purpose. The slight difference in barrel length won't make a significant difference in performance.
If it were me and the "Getz" gun has a clean bore, and the lock sparks well, I think that is where I would go. Assuming it is within budget
I don't have the space to work on a kit, even as close to finished as a Kibler is. And have no real desire to get into gun building.
Is your friend that directed you here knowledgeable enough to look at the gun and make sure you aren't buying someone else's headache?

Oh, and use the ramrod and make sure the gun in the shop isn't loaded before testing for spark.

There is a NMLRA Club, Marriotsville Muzzle Loaders, you might reach out to them to see if they can help you with your search and learning. One of the Moderators here lives in Maryland, Loyalist Dave.

I would get a copy of Flintlocks A Practical Guide For Their Use and Appreciation by Eric Bye and read it completely before you go spend $2,000.

Another book to read is: The Muzzle Loading Cap Lock Rifle by Ned Roberts

As Phil Collins points out, read here a lot and learn first.

Caliber 50 will work for deer or a .54.

You might consider finding a good used flintlock to see "IF" you like shooting flintlocks.

Pay attention to the weight of the rifles you consider. You can effectively kill deer with guns that have short barrels or long.

You can spend a lot more but you absolutely will not find a better rifle than what Jim Kibler has to offer.His attention to detail and quality is unmatched. I am partial to 54 cal.

Just joined the forum today when a buddy of mine said I can get some of my questions answered here. I am new to Muzzleloading in general. I had an old Inline and it is a cheap as they come rifle I picked up for $25 at a flea market in .44 cal. I have always wanted a flintlock and saw that they can be expensive so for the past year I have been saving up some money. I have a decision to make but I dont know where to start. A local gunsmith shop is selling a .50 cal 46" Barrel with a 1/56 twist long rifle for $2,000 and it is a "Getz". I have also seen a lot of posts on this forum about Kibler Colonials and looked them up I see they have 44" barrel .54 and .58 cal rifles and they can go up to 2,000+ already done besides stain. Which is what I want since I have Huntington's Disease and woodworking precisely is out of the question. Does the barrel length matter at all when it comes to being longer ? I only hunt White Tail deer and I'm in the mountains of Maryland so farthest shots with open sights would be 75~80 yards. Is .50 cal good enough or should I go up to .54 or .58. Anyone know of other gun makers who can make up a rifle as well ? All replies and thoughts are welcome as I really don't know where to start and could really use the help.
First of all welcome to the forum!! Lots of good info here. Personally I love the longer barrels, it seems to make the rifle look slimmer. Long versus short, no difference in accuracy. There is a plus and a minus on the long barrels..........greater distance between sights will help your aim to be more on, (the plus)
(the minus) more unbalance and harder to hold for offhand shooting, and tougher to carry through the brush.
Larry

Welcome to the forum from Alberta. I am no authority on black powder rifles but my .50 cal Pedersoli Frontier will ring a steel spinner easily out to 100 yds. Fit and finish pretty good for a factory rifle, and the price didn't break the bank.

Spend a few days reading a few hundred of the threads on here about choosing a rifle. Then when fully confused by the different answers buy a Kibler colonial rifle in 54 calibre and live a happy life with a rifle you’ll know is first rate.

Phil Collins, I see that you like Jack Crab. One of my favorite people. "You go on down there General"

Just joined the forum today when a buddy of mine said I can get some of my questions answered here. I am new to Muzzleloading in general. I had an old Inline and it is a cheap as they come rifle, I picked up for $25 at a flea market in .44 cal. I have always wanted a flintlock and saw that they can be expensive so for the past year I have been saving up some money. I have a decision to make but I dont know where to start. A local gunsmith shop is selling a .50 cal 46" Barrel with a 1/56 twist long rifle for $2,000 and it is a "Getz". I have also seen a lot of posts on this forum about Kibler Colonials and looked them up I see they have 44" barrel .54 and .58 cal rifles, and they can go up to 2,000+ already done besides stain. Which is what I want since I have Huntington's Disease and woodworking precisely is out of the question. Does the barrel length matter at all when it comes to being longer ? I only hunt White Tail deer and I'm in the mountains of Maryland so farthest shots with open sights would be 75~80 yards. Is .50 cal good enough or should I go up to .54 or .58. Anyone know of other gun makers who can make up a rifle as well? All replies and thoughts are welcome as I really don't know where to start and could really use the help.

Long barrels in the woods can be a pain to carry in tight quarters. My hunting rifle is for hunting and not for recreating the trapper era. I shoot a 54 caliber Lyman deerstalker as the barrel is short, but the rifle is accurate, and it shoots an 80 grain 2f round ball load as well as a slug load that leaves no doubt that if you miss, it wasn't the rifle.

For hunting with a rifle that I can bring to a Rondy, I have a 54 caliber flinter with a 42-inch barrel that shoots as well as the Lyman. It sorta depends on where and how you plan on hunting. I prefer 54 caliber as I find it more inherently accurate than the 50 and it gives me a little edge over the 50.

Before you plunk down the cost of a running used car, follow Phil Coffin's advice. A $2,000 rifle for a beginning shooter would, to me, be like buying a top-end set of golf clubs when all I've ever done is miniature golf. Lots of quality M/L's available at less than 1/2 the price (brand new) and many slightly used ones at even better prices.

Read, research, and find a M/L club to visit. Most here will tell you they didn't get started by themselves. Friendships and memories are what make the M/L community the special thing. Welcome, stick around, and contribute.

I am still pretty new to this too (at least in the sense of the actual amount of time I have been able to dedicate to flintlock shooting), but I have learned the answers to a a couple of your questions:

1) 50 cal is fine (but I kinda’ wish mine was a 54).

2) Barrel length doesn’t really matter so much as fit and balance. If hunting and sub 100 yard shots are the main purpose of the rifle then I would prefer a shorter barrel, but it wouldn’t be my first consideration.

3) If you can make the drive, I would head over to Dixon muzzleloading. They are a Mecca for traditional muzzle loading. Every time I have been they have had a few decent flintlocks to look at, at various price points and styles. They also have lots of knowledge. Of course we are now firmly into the PA flintlock season so it might be a good idea to phone them first! They are here. I wish I had known about them before I bought my first flintlock!

Before you plunk down the cost of a running used car, follow Phil Coffin's advice. A $2,000 rifle for a beginning shooter would, to me, be like buying a top-end set of golf clubs when all I've ever done is miniature golf. Lots of quality M/L's available at less than 1/2 the price (brand new) and many slightly used ones at even better prices.

Read, research, and find a M/L club to visit. Most here will tell you they didn't get started by themselves. Friendships and memories are what make the M/L community the special thing. Welcome, stick around, and contribute.

I wanted to say this but didn't know how to be tactful about it.

I have to agree. I have only production guns for the masses. Closest thing I have to custom is a Queen Anne with a lock rework job. (fires every time I have pulled the trigger)

And I have a blast with my guns, and shoot just as well with my affordable guns as my buddy does with his expensive guns.

50 cal is more than adequate for deer. Advise as to purchasing a rifle. Try one first, you hold it as if your going to shoot it close your eyes move it around when you open your eyes again your eye should be perfectly alligned with your sights. Rifle should fit comfortably.

I would try to find a flintlock friendly club(winter woods walks/shoots) and or a store in your state/area that is flintlock friendly, here in pa Dixons ,ohio Log cabin . That way you can get hands on and first hand know how on what fits you and your bugget. There is a learning curve with flintlocks but it is well worth the time and pleasure. I've never ben there but there is fort chambers black powder gun shop near the pa md boarder, others might chime in

Back