• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bored out pedersoli?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used to hunt deer in Pa with a TC Pa Hunter when I was younger. 25 years later and I've caught the black powder bug. I recently picked up a used 12 gauge flintlock and a Pedersoli Pa long rifle in 50 caliber. I've come to see that there isn't a lot of love for this brand. Honestly, if I could do it again I'd of saved some pennies and got something else. My question is could I have that rifle bored out to a larger caliber, with rifling? Preferably a 58, or a 54. Any options would be appreciated.
Thanks

Ive got a few pedersoli’s and havn’t found anything wrong with any of them. Why do you feel that you need to bore yours out? If the .50 bore is good, its probably more cost effective to sell your rifle and buy what you want.

I believe it could be bored to 54 but not 58, but why would you have it done if the 50 is in good shape.
I was thinking the larger caliber's would leave better blood trails, or make up for less than great shot placement
I believe it could be bored to 54 but not 58, but why would you have it done if the 50 is in good shape.

I was thinking the larger caliber's would leave better blood trails, or make up for less than great shot placement
it won't. some of the fastest kills and best blood trails i have done has been with a 45, if you hit the spot fast they will die, if you don't they won't! the key is proper bullet/ball placement, not a large caliber and poor shooting! learn to be proficient with what you have. a 50 is plenty good for deer or most anything that needs killin,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I believe your barrel is 7/8". If so, Hoyt won't fresh it out to .54 or .58. If it's 15/16", he can take it to .54.

I used to hunt deer in Pa with a TC Pa Hunter when I was younger. 25 years later and I've caught the black powder bug. I recently picked up a used 12 gauge flintlock and a Pedersoli Pa long rifle in 50 caliber. I've come to see that there isn't a lot of love for this brand. Honestly, if I could do it again I'd of saved some pennies and got something else. My question is could I have that rifle bored out to a larger caliber, with rifling? Preferably a 58, or a 54. Any options would be appreciated.
Thanks
Do you not like the guns? Do they shoot bad? Mine are pretty good. I would not listen much to internet know-it-alls. And yes, there are some great people on this forum who I DO listen to: Dave Persons, Nick Genda, Mike Brooks for example, but there is this pile on “me too” mentality among many here.

If you’re happy with your gun, be happy with it and don’t listen to the puffy people. As I’ve said: There’s nothing more despicable than someone who would run down another man’s gun.

Thanks
I had a Pedersoli “Hatfield/ Frontier/Blue Ridge” with a 7/8 barrel in .50. I contacted Bobby Hoyt and asked about boring and rifling to .54. He replied he would not do it.

Latest posts

Back