• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just bought my first flintlock. What do I need to take it out shooting, and what do I need to know to have a safe and enjoyable time.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Bjodonnell123, you will want a spout for your can of powder to dispense the powder into the measure. I'll say it again, " When shooting a flint lock, only use real black powder. The substitute powders do not work well enough to even consider." At this stage in your learning of the finer points of shooting a flint lock rifle, you can use 3Fg powder. Use 10% less than the suggested 2Fg loads. The 3Fg will also work in the pan as 4F powder or Swiss Null B can be harder to find than real black powder.

Locate a traditional muzzleloading gun club. The members will help you learn about and care for your rifle.

Search on the Forum for more information on starting out.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here on the Forum. You will get answers.
I can help you with a quality range rod, short starter, and a can cap that doubles as a 35 grain powder measure
DSC04329.JPG
DSC04097.JPG
DSC04328.JPG

I am also a new flintlock shooter.
I did not know anyone who shot muzzleloaders so I looked for a muzzle loading club and called them.
They invited me to their club and have been very helpful in helping me get started.
If you can get in touch with a club.
It will be much easier for you when you have experienced people helping you when you run into problems.

Thank you so much for your clear and thorough answer. I’ll start shopping.

The flint on the rifle now sparks well. Almost burned my pants. But I’ll pick up more.

I don’t hunt. Im not opposed, but this will be a range darling. That considered, is it worth shooting anything besides regular ball. I know I can get Minié balls, if I’m shooting at paper at 100 yards, are they worth it?
No, stick to round ball. IIRC I don't think the rifling twist is optimum for the Minié ball.

Hey everyone, thank you for all the responses. I am in NJ. I am going to look for a club. I’ll also check out the classified
There are not many black powder only clubs in NJ. The only one that I remember was in the Sourland Mountans. I lived in NJ until my job moved me to CA in 1998. I belonged to Citizens Rifle & Revolver Club in West Windsor - nice club, and I also belonged to Central Jersey Gun Club in Jackson NICE place to shoot. You could shoot black powder guns at either club except the CRRC has limited rifle range use because of houses being built around them. Look into the wildlife management areas they have some open areas that allow you to shoot firearms and bow & arrow. Good Luck!

There are not many black powder only clubs in NJ. The only one that I remember was in the Sourland Mountans. I lived in NJ until my job moved me to CA in 1998. I belonged to Citizens Rifle & Revolver Club in West Windsor - nice club, and I also belonged to Central Jersey Gun Club in Jackson NICE place to shoot. You could shoot black powder guns at either club except the CRRC has limited rifle range use because of houses being built around them. Look into the wildlife management areas they have some open areas that allow you to shoot firearms and bow & arrow. Good Luck!
I’ve been to Central Jersey a number of times a few years ago. I feel like that may be a place to start. Thanks

When I lived in NJ, there was a public range in Winslow. Tough to get in near hunting season, but off seasons and weekdays you pretty much had the place to yourself. The state has since closed it down citing "lead contamination". I look for them to ban lead projectiles all together soon. I read an article where lead from bullets was harming bald eagles that injected them. Me thinks they are telegraphing their move for a bullet ban.

Flints are like primers....never enough.....I am sure you will be able to find out what size you need here for your specific rifle. Track of the Wolf is a reliable source, or even just check online (ebay or amazon) for a few. As was mentioned, chipped and not cut are best.

Agree with Dave. Track Of The Wolf has a sizing chart for flints on their website. I recommend ordering them a dozen at a time (their limit), so you always have some on hand. Avoid the cut flints, they are tough on your frizzen.

Back