• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can’t find a rifle!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fsuoutdoors

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am brand new to traditional muzzle loading, and brand new to the forum.

I have been SCOURING the interweb, trying to find a Pedersoli (even a Taylor’s branded) Frontier Maple Deluxe .54 Flintlock.
Apparently this rifle is unobtainium! After deep digging, I got in touch with the Italian Firearms Group (IFG) who does the majority of Pedersoli’s importing. They told me I could order the rifle, but looking at 15+ months!

I know I could go custom, and have spoken to several fine gun makers, but as you all know, similar or longer lead times, and significantly more money.

I have found the Pedersoli rifle in .50 cal….but was REALLY wanting the .54, as I plan to hunt elk sized animals, including some exotics, and had hoped to play around with the challenge of long range flintlock target shooting.

Anyone have any leads on where I could POSSIBLY find the rifle?? A note* I have searched preowned classifieds nearly everywhere.
Was hoping one of you would know a dealer/gun shop that may have one on a shelf, somewhere in the free world.

Have you considered building a rifle from a kit? I have a Pedersoli Frontier flintlock walnut in .45, and I also built a Kibler Southern Mountain Rifle also flintlock walnut in .45, so the two rifles are very similar in function and capability. But the Kibler is by far the better shooter. Also easier to handle. Faster ignition. Even a better looker (in my eyes, anyway). My Pedersoli is hanging on a wall as a display piece, and my Kibler is in a gun case in my gun closet, ready to go out shooting. I don't think the SMR is available in .54, but the other Kibler kits are.

You only just joined, but take a look in the marketplace area. Sure, there are some $3000+ custom rifles, but there are a lot of other flintlocks at $1500 or less that come up for sale every week. Some are run-of-the-mill factory guns, some are very nice factory guns, some are made by hobbyists, and some are used semi-custom or custom guns.

Just looking closely since November, I've seen scores of nice rifles come through. Back in 2022, I bought a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain plains rifle in 54 (caplock) and it cost over $1300. Just 3 weeks ago was a far nicer half-stock plains rifle, used, 54, that ended up selling for $1050. I kick myself, because that $1050 rifle was far nicer than the Pedersoli.

If I were looking for a 54 cal flintlock, I'd watch the online auctions, Rock Island Auctions, and the marketplace/classified section here - just subscribe to it. Give it 3-4 weeks. If you don't find a 54 cal flintlock, then look at building a kit or some other options. The one thing I guarantee is that the moment you settle and are locked in, exactly what you want will appear a few days later.

Good luck,

Another thought: once you have the requisite number of posts on the forum you can place a wanted ad for what you're looking for. I don't remember the number but I'm thinking it was around 25 and if I'm wrong someone will usually correct me. That's one thing I like about this forum, bad info gets corrected by those more knowledgeable.

bobby hoyt ... but its said he is booked till way later in the year. there are others but someone else will have to join in on this. the .50 with a maxi should be fine on elk. search the forum for more info

bobby hoyt ... but its said he is booked till way later in the year. there are others but someone else will have to join in on this. the .50 with a maxi should be fine on elk. search the forum for more info
In some states, Colorado comes to mind, 50 is Not legal for elk anymore, as I understand it.

Hey guys, I am brand new to traditional muzzle loading, and brand new to the forum.

I have been SCOURING the interweb, trying to find a Pedersoli (even a Taylor’s branded) Frontier Maple Deluxe .54 Flintlock.
Apparently this rifle is unobtainium! After deep digging, I got in touch with the Italian Firearms Group (IFG) who does the majority of Pedersoli’s importing. They told me I could order the rifle, but looking at 15+ months!

I know I could go custom, and have spoken to several fine gun makers, but as you all know, similar or longer lead times, and significantly more money.

I have found the Pedersoli rifle in .50 cal….but was REALLY wanting the .54, as I plan to hunt elk sized animals, including some exotics, and had hoped to play around with the challenge of long range flintlock target shooting.

Anyone have any leads on where I could POSSIBLY find the rifle?? A note* I have searched preowned classifieds nearly everywhere.
Was hoping one of you would know a dealer/gun shop that may have one on a shelf, somewhere in the free world.
Welcome to the forum and Howdy from North Texas.
If you'll keep posting you'll soon be able to access the classifieds and post a WTB add. You'll be surprised what members have tucked away and upon seeing someone wanting it will reply.
Good luck.

For the money and wait time you can have a custom built similar rifle that will out perform a production gun in quality and resale value. I can provide you info on custom builders I know and you can discuss it with them if interested.

Pedersoli uses a very long chambered breechplug. It hurts reliability, particularly the first shot. That is not acceptable in a hunting rifle to me. The general styling and build techniques are not very traditional. The stock is goofie looking, the barrel is not swamped. Pedersoli's, overall quality has slipped quite a bit in the last few years.

Based on the Frontier price and what it is trying to be, but failing................

Drum role please,

Get a Kibler Woodsrunner

Seriously, given the price, the Kibler kit rifles are the best available today by any objective measure. You will never regret getting a Kibler.

For the money and wait time you can have a custom built similar rifle that will out perform a production gun in quality and resale value. I can provide you info on custom builders I know and you can discuss it with them if interested.
Let me know who you suggest. I have spoke with several custom builders and I’m looking at $3500 or easily higher, with a 18+ month lead time.

I'll give another plug for the forum classifieds. You'll be able to find something nicer than a Pedersoli for the same or better price from there. Just make sure to buy from someone with good feedback.
I’ve certainly been looking. Nothing currently available, for what I’m searching for. But hopefully something pops up soon.

Due to the forum restrictions, I can post a WTB add.

Pedersoli uses a very long chambered breechplug. It hurts reliability, particularly the first shot. That is not acceptable in a hunting rifle to me. The general styling and build techniques are not very traditional. The stock is goofie looking, the barrel is not swamped. Pedersoli's, overall quality has slipped quite a bit in the last few years.

Based on the Frontier price and what it is trying to be, but failing................

Drum role please,

Get a Kibler Woodsrunner

Seriously, given the price, the Kibler kit rifles are the best available today by any objective measure. You will never regret getting a Kibler.
At this time, I do not have the time or interest in assembling a rifle from a kit. I have a DOD tactical background, and am a highly experienced long range precision shooter. I have the knowledge I’m sure, and I know it would be rewarding. Just quite simply don’t have the time….or choose not to make time.

I would like to purchase a “decent” quality rifle, to get my feet wet with a flintlock. I am slightly particular on the look I want and the rifle, and the Pedersoli Frontier Maple Deluxe nearly nails the look.
If I could buy a Kibler out right, ready to shoot, I’d consider going that route.

Last edited:
Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock .54 muzzle loader 54 cal Nice Pre-Owned $1150
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1024508348

Contemporary Kentucky Tennessee squirrel flintlock rifle .54 cal $910
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036130104

Half round barrel flintlock .54 cal penny auction
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037997687

There are many other options. There's also GunAuction.com, GunSpot, TexasGunTrader, GunInternational. Track of the Wolf and October Country both carry used rifles sometimes.
Pedersoli Mortimer Flintlock .54 muzzle loader 54 cal Nice Pre-Owned $1150
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1024508348

Contemporary Kentucky Tennessee squirrel flintlock rifle .54 cal $910
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1036130104

Half round barrel flintlock .54 cal penny auction
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1037997687

There are many other options. There's also GunAuction.com, GunSpot, TexasGunTrader, GunInternational. Track of the Wolf and October Country both carry used rifles sometimes.
I have seen all of those listings. None are quite what I’m looking for, unfortunately. I really have my heart set on the look of that Frontier, and specifically with the tiger maple wood.

Back