• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Muzzleloader Shooter Hold Over Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When adjusting the point of impact using only the "Front Sight", you chase the point of impact to bring it to center. Aim for the center of the target. If shooting low: lower the height of the front sight (file it a little at a time) to raise the muzzle, Right now you are holding over to compensate, the front sight is to tall. If shooting high get a taller front sight blade to lower the muzzle. If shooting left: Move the front sight to the left. Your muzzle will move right when you get your proper sight alignment. If shooting right: Move the front sight to the right. Your muzzle will move left when you get your proper sight alignment. Again this is adjusting the point of impact using only the Front Sight. As a suggestion. When you get to where you are 1-2 inches low, then would be a good time to play with your power charge for your "best" groups. Once you get that figured out, then if needed finish filing in the front sight. Remember you can always lower the front sight with a file, once the metal is removed you can't put it back. Remove a little, then shoot 2-3 rounds, if needed remove more, and shoot again. Do that till you get the round impacting the height you want it to hit. Hope this explanation helps. DANNY

Last edited:
For my hunting rifles/loads I keep it simple and use a 50 yard zero. For the rare 100 yard shot my hold-overs run less then 5-6 inches…a high shoulder shot on a whitetail.

I don’t know. I’ve never shot anything besides squirrels, rabbits and grouse with a .45. The fellas who live back east seem mostly to think it is. Whitetail deer hit right aren’t hard to kill but the deer up in Montana are quite a bit bigger than most eastern Whitetails.
"I’ve never shot anything besides squirrels, rabbits and grouse with a .45"

Any of them called "Charlie" ? In Ausienese that was "Nigel Nog" LOL

W
So A few weeks ago I posted about picking up my first Muzzleloader used at a pawn shop. I cleaned it up and have been shooting it. The riffle groups shots very well. My concern or questions is around the amount of hold over I having to use. At 50 Yards I am holding about 8” high to hit a target bullseye. It’s shooting good groups but is this hold over normal? My most recent load is 70 grains Pyrodex RS, .018th patch and .440 ball. Any insight would be appreciated and thanks in advance for all the great inform
Will do. I should strive to be dead on where I hold at 50 YDS is that corre
So A few weeks ago I posted about picking up my first Muzzleloader used at a pawn shop. I cleaned it up and have been shooting it. The riffle groups shots very well. My concern or questions is around the amount of hold over I having to use. At 50 Yards I am holding about 8” high to hit a target bullseye. It’s shooting good groups but is this hold over normal? My most recent load is 70 grains Pyrodex RS, .018th patch and .440 ball. Any insight would be appreciated and thanks in advance for all the great information.

So A few weeks ago I posted about picking up my first Muzzleloader used at a pawn shop. I cleaned it up and have been shooting it. The riffle groups shots very well. My concern or questions is around the amount of hold over I having to use. At 50 Yards I am holding about 8” high to hit a target bullseye. It’s shooting good groups but is this hold over normal? My most recent load is 70 grains Pyrodex RS, .018th patch and .440 ball. Any insight would be appreciated and thanks in advance for all the great information.
Where is it hitting at 25 yds?

Update: Filed down my front sight and it has fixed the problem. I’m dead on now at 50yds. It’s is hitting right where I aim currently at 50yds so I am leaving it alone for now. I may in the near future get it a couple inches high at 50yds. I appreciate all the help and input on this.
Input is something we all have around here! Your output may vary, though.

Get a handle on where you hit at 100 as you get more comfortable with the rifle. Your group will grow, but that will give you a handle on your allowable range for hunting, too. Once you know - really know - where you are hitting at 100, then you can decide what you need to adjust.

Some folks use the charge to adjust point of impact for trailwalks and shooting matches. But with 70gr in a 32" barrel, you might be getting up toward the top of what you want in that .45.

My mentor's advice on picking the ideal load was to work it out at 25 yards. Work the charge up in 5 grain increments - you might start at 45gr. Shoot your groups, and you will find they will change in location and in "tightness" as the charge changes. He was after a combination of tight group and high charge, since the bottom line use of the rifle was to hunt.

Have fun!

Well, I can send you his number, but don't know if he would mail anything. He's pretty crippled up, and usually makes the person dig through piles of stuff to find anything. He isn't capable of doing it.
Im there at lease every other month - maybe I could help him or he me

For a hunting gun I always try for a 85 yard zero with round balls. Typically puts the ball about 2” or so high at 40-50 yards and about 3” low at 100 yards. Basically a point blank range out to 100 + yards without having to think. This with a hunting load. With a reduced charge I can usually find an accurate load that’s dead on somewhere between 30 and 50 yards with the same sight picture. Just takes a little range time to work out the details.
That’s brilliant. Hey quick question for ya. How much of a reduced charge are we talking about? Ballpark, like say you hunt with 70g but plink with 40g?

That’s brilliant. Hey quick question for ya. How much of a reduced charge are we talking about? Ballpark, like say you hunt with 70g but plink with 40g?
Can not tell you what will work in your gun, but have found charges as light as 20 to 30 grains, sometimes less, in a big game hunting gun can be a sweet spot with various calibers for that 25-30 yard squirrel load. It all comes down to time at the range to figure things out.

Can not tell you what will work in your gun, but have found charges as light as 20 to 30 grains, sometimes less, in a big game hunting gun can be a sweet spot with various calibers for that 25-30 yard squirrel load. It all comes down to time at the range to figure things out.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I was wondering how light I could go and you answered my question, now it’s time to experiment. Thanks again!

For light loads, informal shooting, I use a .45ACP cartridge case as a measure. My hunting load is 70 gr. of 2f, zeroed at 50 yards, the plinking load his ts point of aim at about 25. It's good enough to blow pigeons off the barn roof in a cloud of feathers.

For light loads, informal shooting, I use a .45ACP cartridge case as a measure. My hunting load is 70 gr. of 2f, zeroed at 50 yards, the plinking load his ts point of aim at about 25. It's good enough to blow pigeons off the barn roof in a cloud of feathers.
That empty 45ACP brass will measure about 25 grains of powder as I remember. Pretty good starting point for up close plinking with a larger caliber hunting gun. For comparison, I typically sight my 32s in at 25 yards to be an inch high (think chin hold on a squirrel) using 12 to 15 grains of 4F or 3F Swiss under a patched 1-1/2 buck. Find this load about an inch low at 50 yards. Plenty for well placed shots on small game.

Latest posts

Back