• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Muzzleloader Shooter Hold Over Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do. I should strive to be dead on where I hold at 50 YDS is that correct?

For my big game rifle, I sight in about 2 inches high at 50 yards...This puts me dead on at 75 yards and about 3 inches low at 100...You will have to settle on your load and then work up what your gun does...

For my squirrel rifle, I sight dead on at 25 yards with the lightest load that groups well...

Before you do anything with the gun - do you have the correct sight picture? Are the sights aligned horizontally? Is your target above, or behind the front sight?

What does your sight picture look like?

Let's talk first about sight alignment. I copied these doing a search for iron sight alignment.

Note that with a blade sight and square rear sight notch, the top of the front sight blade is even with the top of the rear sight edges. Deepening the notch will do nothing unless you have the top of the blade held at the bottom of the rear sight notch. This is difficult to hold for consistency.

1671055217886.png

This sight alignment is for the classic 6 o'clock hold. Adjustments can be made for a center hold.
1671055345101.png

For a hunting gun I always try for a 85 yard zero with round balls. Typically puts the ball about 2” or so high at 40-50 yards and about 3” low at 100 yards. Basically a point blank range out to 100 + yards without having to think. This with a hunting load. With a reduced charge I can usually find an accurate load that’s dead on somewhere between 30 and 50 yards with the same sight picture. Just takes a little range time to work out the details.

What does your sight picture look like?

Let's talk first about sight alignment. I copied these doing a search for iron sight alignment.

Note that with a blade sight and square rear sight notch, the top of the front sight blade is even with the top of the rear sight edges. Deepening the notch will do nothing unless you have the top of the blade held at the bottom of the rear sight notch. This is difficult to hold for consistency.

View attachment 182729

This sight alignment is for the classic 6 o'clock hold. Adjustments can be made for a center hold.
View attachment 182730
I believe I have the correct sight picture, front post matches rear sight.

Is 70 grains of Pyrodex RS with a .018 patch and .440 ball enough for deer hunting?
If it’s accurate it’s just right. Some may argue it’s not the most efficient use of powder or some other nonsense, but if it’s accurate and you like how it shoots, you have found your hunting load. Too many variables to go to a lookup chart or a formula, when all that matters is how the load performs.

Is 70 grains of Pyrodex RS with a .018 patch and .440 ball enough for deer hunting?
I don’t know. I’ve never shot anything besides squirrels, rabbits and grouse with a .45. The fellas who live back east seem mostly to think it is. Whitetail deer hit right aren’t hard to kill but the deer up in Montana are quite a bit bigger than most eastern Whitetails.

So A few weeks ago I posted about picking up my first Muzzleloader used at a pawn shop. I cleaned it up and have been shooting it. The riffle groups shots very well. My concern or questions is around the amount of hold over I having to use. At 50 Yards I am holding about 8” high to hit a target bullseye. It’s shooting good groups but is this hold over normal? My most recent load is 70 grains Pyrodex RS, .018th patch and .440 ball. Any insight would be appreciated and thanks in advance for all the great information.
That's a lot of powder wasted.way to much. Try using 50 grains then go up even down. Your shoulder will think you also.

Back