• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion cap question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the musket cap nipple has a larger thread, if so you will have to drill and tap the hole to install it I wouldn't modify the TC Hawken like that. The musket cap is larger in diameter were the hammer strikes so it would have to be modified. Search for RWS 1075 caps, they are available and will fit the TC nipple.
Musket cap nipples come in all thread sizes to fit any ML. I have 6mm, 1/4" & 5/16" threaded ones. None of my rifles required any modification to convert from #11 nipples to musket nipples, but I can see where some hammer adjustment might be needed depending on the rifle & if the hammer is already off center a little. After using the musket caps, I will never go back to the #11 caps for my rifles.

Thanks for the tip, it isn't too far a drive so I think I will try it out. Do you know if they carry caps as well or just BP?
They generally have caps and BP but will often limit your purchase. Give a call first. If you can do it, I've found it is much more economical and convenient to drop a load of money at once and buy large quantities online. Even with the hazemat fees you will come out ahead.

You will hear a lot of people bad mouthing CCI. About one in 30 caps may require a second hit to go off has been my experience. More a result of not seating all the way than cap failure. I also have an equal number of RWS caps which will also have an occasional misfire. Either one is fine for me. I use #11's and 1075's on all my revolvers and muskets. One more thing. If you buy online verify the seller. A LOT of scammers out there.

You will hear a lot of people bad mouthing CCI. About one in 30 caps may require a second hit to go off has been my experience. More a result of not seating all the way than cap failure. I also have an equal number of RWS caps which will also have an occasional misfire. Either one is fine for me. I use #11's and 1075's on all my revolvers and muskets. One more thing. If you buy online verify the seller. A LOT of scammers out there.
The poor quality of CCI isn't them "not going off", it's a lack of sufficient pressure to insure proper and complete ignition of the charge. If you think I'm off base, do the experiment. Test CCI against RWS and Scheutzen head to head for accuracy. Change nothing but the cap. CCI will deliver more flyers than both RWS and Scheutzen combined.

As for needing a "second hit", assuming the caps are properly stored, that's a function of the nipple geometry and condition of the recess in the hammer. Many have complained that Scheutzen caps have this issue but the real culprit is the Scheutzen caps are gilded steel and less forgiving of errors in nipple geometry than RWS. A very slight change in the profile of the nipple and Scheutzen are just as reliable as RWS.

The poor quality of CCI isn't them "not going off", it's a lack of sufficient pressure to insure proper and complete ignition of the charge. If you think I'm off base, do the experiment. Test CCI against RWS and Scheutzen head to head for accuracy. Change nothing but the cap. CCI will deliver more flyers than both RWS and Scheutzen combined.

As for needing a "second hit", assuming the caps are properly stored, that's a function of the nipple geometry and condition of the recess in the hammer. Many have complained that Scheutzen caps have this issue but the real culprit is the Scheutzen caps are gilded steel and less forgiving of errors in nipple geometry than RWS. A very slight change in the profile of the nipple and Scheutzen are just as reliable as RWS.
Interesting point....on my way to check that out.

I started muzzle loading again after a few decades off. Last Thursday I used cci musket caps with 90 gr. of pyrodex in my .54 cal T.C. hawkin rifle without any problems at all. I used the musket caps because that is the only thing available in the Albuquerque area at this time.

DSC_7860.JPG

So here is my little comparison realizing that a 100 shot or more sample would be more meaningful but that will have to happen over time. Given the human error involved (me) both these groups are pretty close. Being I don't hunt and the matches I compete in are pretty much just for fun I can afford a flyer every so often if that is in fact the case, so I'll probably continue to buy whatever is available at the time. And today between the Walker and the Remington I shot off 30 rounds, no misfires

View attachment 272444
So here is my little comparison realizing that a 100 shot or more sample would be more meaningful but that will have to happen over time. Given the human error involved (me) both these groups are pretty close. Being I don't hunt and the matches I compete in are pretty much just for fun I can afford a flyer every so often if that is in fact the case, so I'll probably continue to buy whatever is available at the time. And today between the Walker and the Remington I shot off 30 rounds, no misfires
25gr looks to be too light a charge to adequately expand the skirt into the rifling.

Here's what can happen when things are in balance. Note this is a 50yd group. First round is nearly always a clean bore flyer in my Parker Hale.

IMG_20221029_155140.jpg

Scheutzen vs RWS musket caps. I use Scheutzen. But I have heard that RWS are even better because they are more flexible and easier to shape a bit to fit on some nipples.

Places like Grafs have RWS 1075 (#11) regular and 1075 plus (magnum). I don't know where to buy RWS musket caps and therefore have never used them.

25gr looks to be too light a charge to adequately expand the skirt into the rifling.

Here's what can happen when things are in balance. Note this is a 50yd group. First round is nearly always a clean bore flyer in my Parker Hale.

View attachment 272488
Whoa! We are talking apples and oranges. The '58 Remington I posted is a .44 revolver and 25 grains would be considered a moderately heavy load. I shoot 60 (50 yds) and 75 grains (100 yds) in my Hawken. I will do a test when it goes to the range. I'm just a casual shooter. I look at the target and if I can say "that guy is dead"....good 'nough! Here is a good day for the Hawken at 50 yards.
DSC_5055.Sjpg.jpg

I believe the musket cap nipple has a larger thread, if so you will have to drill and tap the hole to install it I wouldn't modify the TC Hawken like that.
From experience with my old muskets.
Well, most TCs (except for the Cherokee, Seneca and Patriot for example) use 1/4-28 threads (not old musket threads, whatever they are), for their nipples and all you need is the correct thread sized musket nipple available from many suppliers. No drilling and tapping suggested or required to install, unless you have the wrong size nipple and insist on making it fit.
1701130434037.jpeg

I had an enfield that took them. The ones I got were about 40% good at going bang. Got new (different) ones and they worked. Maybe there are some that are weaker, I dunno. I use # 10, 11 and flints. No mo musket nipples here. What I meant was that's what I used to use before I sold all my guns. Ya know even musket caps will make guns kill people!

I believe the musket cap nipple has a larger thread, if so you will have to drill and tap the hole to install it I wouldn't modify the TC Hawken like that. The musket cap is larger in diameter were the hammer strikes so it would have to be modified. Search for RWS 1075 caps, they are available and will fit the TC nipple.
RWS 1075 caps (what I use) fit snug with T/C nipples and offers above average ignition. Good choice for the new member thread-starter.

jrtheduck23

If Pyrodex is your only solution currently, see if the distributor carries Pyrodex P. It's Pyrodex's version of the competition's FFF powders.

Last edited:
RWS 1075 caps (what I use) fit snug with T/C nipples and offers above average ignition. Good choice for the new member thread-starter.

jrtheduck23

If Pyrodex is your only solution currently, see if the distributor carries Pyrodex P. It's Pyrodex's version of the competition's FFF powders.
Is there a reason to use FFF instead of FF

Latest posts

Back