• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I went with some friends to see it today. Gotta say wasn't overly impressed. Way to long and drawn out. Some of the dream scenes didn't make a lot of sense and didn't really add anything useful to the movie. Would rate it about a five out of ten. Definitely won't buy it and won't be in a hurry to see it a second time.

Also I find it really hard to believe that they would of spent as much time in the water as they showed. I'm pretty sure if they were actually out in the winter which I believe they seldom were unless absolutely necessary they tried to stay as dry as possible. Also the cursing in the movie I find hard to believe. Sure they probably cursed but not like they were gang bangers in downtown Chicago.

Do wish I had his twice firing pistol

Well, I'm one up on most here because I seen it twice already. Looked extra careful at that scene and no, there's no way he had time to reload so it HAD to be a two-shooter :wink:

...and turns out people were immune to hypothermia back then, or at least Glass was.

Otherwise the problem with the movie is the Director tried to get all arty on us. Fer example in Jeremiah Johnson we somehow understood the depth of the loss of his wife and de-facto son without a single vision or dream sequence, not so here.

Second time around too I got that the movie starts and ends with breathing, said breathing continuing at the end as the credits start to roll, that and the short speech that goes with it in the beginning is supposed to be the theme in the movie.

And people are getting puzzled by the very last scene in the movie, I'll wait a while for people who are gonna see it to see the movie, and then I'll explain what I think is supposed to be going on.

Birdwatcher

WOW!! This Thread is now in it's 7th page of comments. And I'm sure there is more to come. LOL
Just opened up this weekend in my area. Saw it yesterday afternoon. Theatre was full. While the historical accuracy of the story is questionable at best, I must admit that the acting, costumes, sets, and backdrops were much better than I was expecting. So for the entertainment value, I did like the movie and will probably see it a second time. For me, I would have liked to seen Glass (or anyone for that matter) during some calm period of the movie, properly re-loading a muzzle loader from start to finish. You would think that would have happened just once with all the effort that went in to this movie. Oh well.
I just read early this morning that both the movie and Leo won best movie and best actor.
Rick

I heard the Revenant was the first movie to beat the new Star Wars in a daily take, since the Star Wars movie came out; meaning for at least one day, more people went to see Revenant than went to see the weeks old Star Wars.

DeCaprio has managed to get himself a guy-flick. My wife thought it was pretty violent and overheard other women saying they wouldn't have gone if they had known how violent it was. What can I say? Queasy stomachs don't belong at a good guy flick.

It started playing here three days ago but I didn't get to see it until last night, every showing previously was sold out and I got the last seat at the 6:00 show. :pop:

The bear mauling was so realistic it had me squirming in my seat. The knife and hawk fight near the end was also very bloody and realistic. Was it nit pickable?, of coarse but movies like this are too few and far between, I'll see it again :2

PS, leave the girls home, this is definitely a mans movie

:haha: :haha:

I saw it yesterday and not being a DiCaprio fan, I have to admit I liked it. I tried to take it with a grain of salt and not look at the historical inaccuracies. I'll add it to my movie library when it comes out on DVD.

I did leave the wife at home for this one, she didn't want to see it, and I don't think she would have enjoyed it if she had gone. There were a couple families there with little kids which I didn't think belonged at all. Definitely not a kid's movie. I found myself on the edge of my seat there at the end, pretty intense fight.

I do hope it creates some interest in muzzleloading.

For its negatives there were some positives. Clothing was mostly taylored, and cloth. No one had a late western/ reservation blanket coat. Knifes were simple, no big shiny bowies. Far to many short besses but the rifles at least looked like 1800-20 period rifles. I'm a nit picker on movies and have a 'what's wrong' list, think it was a bit slow, simple logic tells you ripped up as glass was he could not have survived below 0 temps ect ect. But.... I enjoyed it, at least as much as JJ, Alamo with kieth,Wayne,Parker or Thortan. It was Hollywood, wish it had been more hc, will take what I can get.

I was also surprised to see pigs in a Native American village, but I think it's possible they got them from the white men and started raising them. But....I've never read of this happening and don't know if there are any historical accounts.

I didn't see the others, and I thought bad things about LC playing Glass, but I do think he deserved recognition for how good of a job he did. I don't put a lot of truck in award shows, unless they agree with me :wink:

BTW I have to ask because maybe I missed something in my recollection of history but what were Native Americans doing with pigs?

Seems like further East they woulda fit.

Hogs made a way-early impact on the Frontier because of the Euro practice of free-ranging them. Point of interest "Cohockton" or "Coshocton" is Algonquin for "place of hogs", there being a town in New York and another in Ohio, both of 18th Century Delaware Indian derivation.

Earlier than that, Metacom's (AKA King Phillip) hogs were one of the sparks that set off King Phillip's War in 17th Century New England.

I early 19th Century East Texas, and I'd guess most of the Frontier, the main dietary staples were corn, pork and hog lard. Travellers' accounts speak of droves of free-ranging hogs in loose association with the settlements.

All that being so....

...I have no accounts of the agricultural tribes along the Upper Mississippi and Missouri keeping hogs, and even today feral hogs aren't found in any numbers that far up those rivers. Seems like free range hogs there would be a difficult proposition.

Birdwatcher

Jamestown ca. 1610....
http://www.charlesmann.org/articles/NatGeo-Jamestown-05-07-2.htm

Even in their own villages and farm fields, the Indians couldn't escape the invasive species brought by the English””pigs, goats, cattle, and horses. Indians woke up to find free-range cows and horses romping through their fields, trampling the harvest. If they killed the beasts, gun-waving colonists demanded payment. To the English, the whole concept of a "civilized" landscape was one in which ownership of the land was signaled by fencing fields and raising livestock. After all, England had more domestic animals per capita than most other European nations. "They looked down on the Indians because they had no domestic animals," says Virginia DeJohn Anderson, a historian at the University of Colorado at Boulder. At first the imported animals didn't do well, not least because they were eaten by starving colonists. But during the peace after Pocahontas's marriage, they multiplied. Colonists quickly lost control of them.

The worst may have been the pigs. Smart, strong, constantly hungry, vicious when crossed, they ate nuts, fruits, shellfish, and corn, turning up the soil with their shovel-like noses in search of edible roots.

Among these was tuckahoe, a starchy tuber the Indians relied on when times were hard and their corn crops failed. The pigs liked it, too. The natives found themselves competing for food with packs of feral pigs.

Birdwatcher

Last edited by a moderator:
CPT Cook was famous for dropping pigs off all over the world , as a food source for future visits , in my part of the world they are still called cpt. cookers

Well see that's how you learn you gotta ask questions. Thanks for the info. Interesting Birdwatcher that you would bring up Coshocton. I spent a lot of time in Coshocton, Ohio in my younger days. Grew up only about fifty miles from there. Guess I should of stopped and read one of those historic markers that probably said something about what you were saying.

The Spaniards were the first to introduce hogs, and horses, well before Jamestown.

Drawings of Indian settlements in early VA show they had watch towers over their fields of corn. These look to me just like hunting blinds of today, so my assumption is they used their gardens, not only to produce vegetable food, but also to attract animals that would add to their diet with much less work than going out and trying to find them. Very similar to today's "food plots" that hunters plant except they were also harvested. It was kind of a win/win situation, if the animals came in and ate their gardens, they got to eat the animals. That is probably why they were not interested in fencing their fields.

The huge meteor and meteorite were interesting touches. The stick ruse was very clever.
LD definitely deserves an Oscar for the demanding role he so convincingly played. The ending was a bit of an open cadence. Best Picture? No, that should be awarded to "The Martian" which was a great story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back