• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Movie The Revenant?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How many movies have you seen that have been filmed in the location that it happen in history?

It was good entertainment - I did overall like it but probably was spoiled for me - knowing what I know about the country and the Glass story in particular

I think the locations were chosen for cinematography and effect - to entertain and show wonder and grandeur - I understand that - Hugh crawling across the prairie eating rattlesnakes and stuff would not have been as grand.

The clothing and arms were very good overall - some problems but at least they did not have cabelas hawkens as firearms

SR.Chief said:
How many movies have you seen that have been filmed in the location that it happen in history?
Thank you! I went with a group last nite to a sold out showing and no one cared where it was filmed (didn't hear one comment) and other than the movies audio you could have heard a pin drop. Also I was happy to see that they used 5 of my knives and Lukas Haas had one of Miss Tudys bags. Also, I was proud to see that they showed a clear picture of Dicaprio knife just before he killed the bear. As far as reality, I don't think that Glass would have been able to have the strength to stab the bear while it was standing on his head, but, that's Hollywood

KHickam said:
this is the type of country Glass would have been crawling across,,
,,the entirety of the Hugh Glass saga from the bear mauling to getting to Ft Kiowa happened in what is today South Dakota
Yeah we know. :doh:
:slap: Spoil Sport :v

Nifeman said:
SR.Chief said:
Thank you! I went with a group last nite to a sold out showing and no one cared where it was filmed (didn't hear one comment) and other than the movies audio you could have heard a pin drop. Also I was happy to see that they used 5 of my knives and Lukas Haas had one of Miss Tudys bags. Also, I was proud to see that they showed a clear picture of Dicaprio knife just before he killed the bear. As far as reality, I don't think that Glass would have been able to have the strength to stab the bear while it was standing on his head, but, that's Hollywood
Is you knife in this photo of the REVENANT RIFLE ?
You will have to click on the REVERANT title on the home page.

I've been as loud a critic as anyone here.

But the bottom line is, when all is said and done, this is a decent, serious attempt at a movie that probably is the best and most accurate depiction of the Rocky Mountain Fur Trade ever put to film.

I'm very grateful for that :thumbsup:

colorado clyde said:
Man in the Wilderness wasn't even filmed in the US. it was filmed in Andalusia, Spain.... :haha:

It was filmed in British Columbia, Alberta, Montana and Argentina.

Pat of the Richard Harris film about Glass, Man In The Wilderness, was filmed in Spain.

I understand your ambivalence toward the movie, I felt somewhat the same. However, The Revenant is not a documentary about Hugh Glass. It is a fictional account built upon the legend of Hugh Glass ( about whose real life very little is known.)

There is no record of him ever having a wife, or any children. The murder of his "son" before his eyes is pure Hollywood.

He never killed Fitzgerald (Bridger may or may not have been the other man left to bury him;Bridger himself is reported to have denied that part of the story). As for revenge, his main interest seems to have been reclaiming his rifle. He apparently forgave both men for leaving him.

Glass quickly became a legend of mythic proportion in his own lifetime, and the story was embroidered many times in the retelling.

He continued in the life of a trapper/hunter. Along with two others, he was killed on the Yellowstone by a band of Arikaras, about 10 years after the bear attack.

As has been said above, enjoy the movie for itself, and the fact that it is a very good production that calls attention to this period of American history, the men, and the arms they used for survival.

It can only engender more interest in muzzleloading. It already caused me to look deeper into the story of Hugh Glass.

Glass quickly became a legend of mythic proportion in his own lifetime, and the story was embroidered many times in the retelling.

Right!....the only way to accurately depict the story of Hugh Glass would be to invent a time machine and travel back in time to witness it.

KHickam said:
I know the area very well - no towering pine trees the Grand River is not damned and although their are ancient cottonwoods and weathered dead cottonwoods everywhere there are damn few pine trees and the area only gets 18 inches of annual rainfall on average - so no moss covered fir trees with bracken fern (in fact I have never seen a fern up there)
Some folks forget that the film maker is telling a "story", to entertain - nothing more. If one thinks the movies are real, they'll always be disappointed. :wink:

My wife and I saw the movie today, January 9th (it opened here yesterday). I thought it was VERY good, and well-done. I recognized a number of inaccuracies in the movie ( the terrain, a few things with gunpowder, etc.) but....so what? If they had shot it in the terrain of a real South Dakota, the scenery would not have been nearly as beautiful. The movie was artistic and entertaining to watch and experience. As soon as I saw the trailer many months ago with flintlocks being fired, I knew it was a must-see. I recommend this movie...it might make you want to get out and do a trek in the snow with all your stuff!

I'm sure there are other things to consider when filming. They want a good scene in the back ground for the public to make the movie look spectacular. Allot of places wouldn't work because the scenery has changed with houses, roads and such which wouldn't do. I seen a cheap science fiction movie and it was suppose to be a total catastrophe aftermath going on but in the distant you could see busy traffic on the Goldengate bridge.

SR.Chief said:
Nifeman said:
SR.Chief said:
Is you knife in this photo of the REVENANT RIFLE ?
You will have to click on the REVERANT title on the home page.
No, the knife I made was a simple knife that anyone could have made in a little time. It's in a post about 15-20 posts before this one. I guess Mr. Inneratu thought it had the look he was trying to capture... Thanks for asking though, Bud

"Time machine" :haha: That wouldn't satisfy some; couldn't be right, because it doesn't agree with the legend. :haha: .
And my apology on my response up above - I misread your post about Man in the Wilderness", I was thinking Revenant when I read it. :redface:

The latter movie has engendered 11 pages of discussion on this thread, and another thread as well!

Wife and I were out hiking today, and passed another couple who overheard me talking to the Wife about Indian Fighting. They stopped and asked me what I was talking about, and I told them about The Revenant. Now they are going to see it.

I think some folks who see the film are going to want to find out what these old weapons are all about. It can't but do good for muzzleloading.

And my apology on my response up above - I misread your post about Man in the Wilderness", I was thinking Revenant when I read it.

:haha: not necessary...I knew what you meant...

I hope the Revenant sparks even more movies of the same.....and I haven't even seen it yet. :haha:

Hey KHickam I am not a horse person but I wanted to ask you what is that collar high up on your horse,s neck?

Stake out collar - instead of a bridle we attach stake out rope to the collar - some like them some don't I prefer them over a bridle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back