• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What ML movie should be made now?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The end of times. Govt takes all modern firearms, destroys them and leaves the populace with ML's...Kinda like the short lived series Revolution.

Peter's story reads like a Hollywood adventure but really happened!
Yup and he's one of my ancestors too. Judge Winston who adopted him was an uncle to Patrick Henry. None other than George Washington said that without Francisco, we would have lost two very important battles. He was a personal friend of Lafayette as well. His exploits would make Mel Gibson in The Patriot look like a wannabee.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Francisco
https://peterfrancisco.org/military-service/

With the end of mass cold war conscript armies, it may be impossible to have large black powder battles in movies (without CGI). The 1970 Waterloo movie paid the Soviet government to use 17,000 soldiers.

Do the Hugh Glass story but get it right by having a historian write script. So much diversion from James Fenimore Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales and Last of Mohican that an accurate remake from the books should be done. Life and times of the real John Liver Eatiin' Johnston. James Kirker (not Kirk) was the real scalp hunter who recruited out of work trappers and mountain men from Bent's Old Fort. The life and times of Mariano Modena, Tom Tobin, Christopher "Kit" Carson, Robert Campbell, Timothy Murphy, Simon Kenton, Simon Girt, the Bent-St. Vrain trading empire. Native American leaders and warriors in muzzle loading era are a whole under tapped resource. Real history is more interesting than Hollywood.

Go back further - La Salle's failed expedition to the coast of Texas in 1686. All sorts of stuff - pirates, mutiny, shipwreck, hostile natives, desperate tale of survival.
Or the Conquistadors, Pizzarro in Peru, Coronado into our SW, Cortez vs the Aztecs, Ponce de Leon and De Soto in our SE, all at the beginning of military firearm use, and all extraordinary adventures. Problem is, those early explorers were brutal bastards happy to slaughter anyone they met (and I'm not just being pc), so they don't play so sympathetically today. You could of course tell it from the Aztec side for instance, but they were just as vicious...

A Kit Carson biopic staring Lizzo as the title character with an all female cast that focuses on Kit's struggles with body positivity in a world of bigoted white male oppressors of strong black lesbians, and Kit's fierce heartfelt defense of the earth friendly, gentle, kind hearted, peace loving plains Indians. "Based on a true story."
No thanks! If it comes out of Hollywood it is sure to be just more pure male bovine extrusion that has come to be the signature product of that woke, pseudo-artistic, steaming dung heap of runny excrement known as Hollywood.
That was hilarious sir! Thank you for a perfect summary of our entertainment industry.

I'd like to see a bio pic about Peter Francisco, a real life Rambo of the Revolution.
There's actually somebody doing this as a miniseries, albeit a tad farby one (the professional actors playing redcoats wore beards and carried TC Hawken and Jukar Kentucky rifles; we reenactors tried to help them out as politely as we could.)The reenacting unit I'm part of got hired as extras for filming of an episode about Francisco carrying off a cannon. We had a ton of fun, and my Long Land musket got used by the main actor in a close up of Francisco shooting at the British. Their armourer had a Pedersoli they'd rented that wouldn't go off (due likely to too much oiling the bore without stabbing out before loading and IIRC a rusty frizzen) so we pulled the load from that one with my worm and I lent him my Loyalist LLP, which I had just had a rehardening job done on. The smith who did that was also there as an extra, so I hope he got some good business exposure from it!
I don't mean to disparage that poduction too much; it will at least generate some more interest in the Revolutionary War and I'm glad somebody's wanting to tell that story!

Last edited:
Our own rifleman authored a great book about times only a decade (or less) from whre we are now. Police state, crazy technology and a guy with a .45 flintlock taking out a corrupt politcain. VERY good read, Frank?

Well, assuming the Hollywood folks would be able to get it right...

A movie about the life (and death) of Jedediah Smith would be a good choice. He was a remarkable man.

I think @Steve Wagner suggested Tough Trip Through Paradise, and I would heartily agree. I had known about the book for years, but for some reason was led to believe it was a cowboy story. I finally got around to reading it about a year ago and found my preconceptions were dead wrong. It isn't a muzzleloader book, but they were absolutely shooting black powder, and guns figure into the story pretty frequently. This is probably one of the most empathetic first-hand accounts you will find about the living with the native people of the northwestern plains and Rockies just before the near annihilation of the buffalo herds.

One other suggestion would be Boone's Lick, by Larry McMurtry. Rumor was they were actually planning to make a movie of this one, with Tom Hanks and Julianne Moore in the leading roles, but the project was abandoned for undisclosed reasons. McMurtry got some of the details wrong about firearms of the period (late 1860's), but that could be easily fixed in the movie. You get a cast of interesting frontier characters and a travel adventure, culminating in the Fetterman Fight, which to my knowledge has not been addressed on film. The main reason the Army lost that battle is that the soldiers were armed with muzzle-loading rifle muskets, and simply couldn't maintain the rate of fire needed against the odds they were facing. Anyway, the leading lady set off across the plains with her four kids, her "soiled dove" sister and their elderly father, and her curmudgeonly brother-in-law to find her errant husband and tell him, to his face, she was divorcing him. It's complicated, but a good story.

I thought The Revenant was well done.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
I think a good movie featuring muzzleloaders was the Witch (2015). Set in early 1600's USA. Family banished from town is forced to live on the frontier. The movie has a pretty cool matchlock in it. It does a rather good job of showing the hardships that such a family would have had to deal with at the time. Some would say that it lacks historical accuracy because the problems are mostly caused by witchcraft. I would say that it has historical accuracy because most of the problems are caused by witchcraft. Have to remember that during the time the movie is set in, witches were very real.

Latest posts

Back