• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New GPR - not impressed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnWolf

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Got my new GPR today and so far I am far from impressed. The fit-n-finish is very lacking.

First, around the trigger guard and the tang a soft wood putty was used as fill between the wood and metal. There were wood putty finger prints all over the stock (see picture attached).

p6180010_zps21d07944.jpg

Second - milling marks or very course sanding drum gouges in the stock where the barrel and tang meet, the same on the lower portion of the cheek piece.

p6180015_zpsd00579e1.jpg

Third - the barrel would only fit in the stock if the tang bolts were loose by at least 2 turns each.

Fourth - the lock plate is dented leaving a burr on the edge. It also appears the plate is slightly bent. The hammer still functions and the triggers seem okay (see attached picture)

p6180013_zps0db36c59.jpg

It doesn't appear a piece of sandpaper was used on this stock and it looks as if the stoch had just been dipped in stain before assembly.

I understand the gunsmiths of the past had few tools to work with, but don't believe this is what they would consider quality workmanship. I just hope this thing shoots as good as it is supposed to. So far Lyman gets a thumbs down from me.

this is made by factory workers who are in it for an hourly wage.I think your gun willshoot well.You deserved better for the money you spent,but such is what our worlds become.few of us can afford agun as well made as an aprintice would have made a passing grade on.You get what you pay for is a thing of the pass.now you get barly passable that you have to fix yourself.Beaver goneBill tylor,soon i be gone too

Yes sir, I believe you are right and I'll be keeping this rifle as long as it shoots straight and not around trees. Although there is disappointment, when the nights get long and cold again she will get a face lift.

In 1975 I became interested in MLing and decided to buy a BP hammer shotgun for ruffed grouse hunting. When it arrived, a thorough inspection revealed a couple dozen flaws which were tabulated. I know I'm a "fussy" guy when it comes to guns, but this shotgun's quality was horrible.

Promptly called the vendor and enumerated the flaws and his words were..."Did you think you were buying an English Purdey? I was then told to return the shotgun for a refund, which I promptly rec'd.

After that, I started building MLers...heck, I could do better than the workmanship displayed on that shotgun.

The next surprize was when I rec'd a Siler flintlock assembled by whoever and it's quality was lousy. Sent it back and bought a Siler flintlock "kit" and it's presently on my much used squirrel LR. Assembled the next 3 flintlocks and now buy only from Chambers.

If factory quality doesn't meet your requirements, then either build your own or have one built by a good professional.....Fred

You apparently purchased this rifle new. I have purchased two GPR rifles new from a store and neither had the defects that you have found on your rifle. I would immediately contact the seller and tell them what you have found =and that it is not acceptable. Make arrangements to return it either for a new rifle in proper condition or a refund of your money. If the dealer refuses to allow you to return your rifle, you should contact Lyman and tell them of the condition of your rifle and that it is no where near the standards for a factory new Lyman rifle. I am sure that Lyman will either take it back themselves or make sure that their dealer takes it back and sends you a properly made gun. Never accept less than you paid for.

That's just poor quality control -- If it was me I'd send it back either for another or a refund you should not settle for poor workmanship!

I'm with Fred and Bill on this, I would not keep the gun and I certainly would not shoot it.

Wood putty and smudged finger prints of putty? Not a chance.

That series of photos you've shared with us would be sent to the Service/Customer Rep of whoever you bought it from with a request for refund or replacement along with a request for a shipping label to return the offending rifle.

what Necci said! this isn't the standard that I've seen in Lyman rifles - not even close ... contact their customer service dept and ask what's the procedure for returning defective merchandise.

you paid for better, and you deserve better.

Lyman will cheerfully swap it for another. I'd do it as a matter of course, so they have a record for their next talk with the manufacturing plant. They don't want their name on such stuff either.

The Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken is an excellent rifle but at about twice the price.

I looked at the Factory Assembled GPR about 25 years ago and was not impressed.
A couple years ago I bought a Kit from Wally World and was not impressed with it either.
I should have taken it back to Wally World but decided for the price to work through the problems.
The rifle came out good but the inletting from the factory left a lot to be desired.
If I build from a kit again it will have to be a lot better to start with.
Possible a kit with only the barrel inleted.

It is disappointing when you pay the money and get such a sorry made rifle.

On the good side I like the barrel on my 54 GPR it is very accurate.

Even if it shoots good, every time you look at it, from now own, you will say to yourself, this is not the gun I ordered. Do yourself a favor and spare yourself the misery of talking to yourself...return it.

If you bought a new clothes washer, dish washer or refrigerator with such defects would you over look them and then re-build it during the winter?

As long as U.S. citizens pay full price for inferior goods, manufacturers will continue to send them here. Continuing to accept inferior products is a license to continue to ship them here.

Europe is an ISO 9002 area, time to do ISO 9002 work.

I'm with Brown Bear. Call Lyman Customer Service. They have always been friendly and helpful. Hang in there. The GPR is really a great rifle. I have two in .54, one percussion and one flint.

That looks very much like a kit that was poorly assembled and sold as a new Factory gun.

Having built 4 H&A rifles myself from kits the quality of this rifle doesn't meet muster by my standards. When I purchased this rifle I knew it wasn't going to have all the pretty furniture as many other sell, but did expect more quality of workmanship. What I really did want is a good shooter of PRB.

I bought this rifle from a national shooters supply in Tennesse and seriously doubt they slapped it together, but, then again, I have been wrong a couple times before in life.

Lyman has its Customer Service people working in shipping (according to the recordings), but I'll continue trying to reach them for satisfaction.

Thanks for all the input about this.

I may be mistaken but I think I heard that somebody once said that all the more experienced craftsmen at Lyman are on the flintlock production line and that all the new guys get put on percussion guns. I could be wrong... :stir:

Wow, I would not be happy with that at all. I would be contacting the company where I got it from, or Lyman, wanting an exchange/refund/reimbursement for it. Now, if they offer a reimbursement on partial price I would have no problem working through the problems.

I agree with the other posts; call 'em up then send it back. Don't accept less than you paid for.

Back