• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New GPR - not impressed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood putty, poor fit & finish just ain't what I've ever seen on a Lyman Factory Rifle. I kinda wonder if the seller is passing on some kind of goobered up return, or maybe a kit.

Also, it's kinda hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like the woodgrain wasn't properly oil finished & there is still open grain - another suspicious condition not found in a properly built GPR.

I'd request a call tag for return and replacement with a decent one. If the vendor balks, Contact Lyman directly.

Who is the seller?

I have never seen a GPR in that shape . I have looked a lot of them over. I do not think that anyone would buy kits and sell them as new factory rifles since there would be no profit in that! Geo. T.

Does the serial no match the box?
Was the box factory sealed
It looks like a kit gun return
I have never seen a factory finish from lyman on the wood like that

The wood putty ,to me, is a sign of aftermarket boofering.
The putty at the tang sounds like a monkey butt fix by a Walmart clerk

I had bought the gun as "New" from MidSouth Shooters Supply. The box appeared to have never been opened, the barrel and stock were both in plastic bags and the wedge pins, fixed sight, and nipple were all in a small plastic bag. I tried to reach Lyman customer service several times today. Will continue trying tomorrow.

MtnWolf said:
I had bought the gun as "New" from MidSouth Shooters Supply.

Then MidSouth Shooters Supply is who I would contact first, to see if they will do the right thing.

you sure thats actual wood puddy and not some thick packing grease they use for protection? I know my mosin nagant was packed in that nasty stuff and some of it was hardened.

Seen plenty of GPRs in factory form that werent worth $200 new. I always preferred the kits and do it myself.

I guess I got lucky with my recent purchase of a new/old stock .50 flinter. The fit and finish is about as good as one can expect in a factory rifle.

All I can say is, "Thank you Ric R". :grin:

bpd303 said:
MtnWolf said:
The serial number on the rifle does match the number on the box.
Sounds like someone at MidSouth (or a customer) swapped a new factory rifle for a cobbled up kit. I would go back on MidSouth on that one. Are they local to you?
That is what I would bet happened. I have seen and handled many GPRs and have never seen anything like that. I have two GPRs, one factory finished and one was from a kit (not assembled by me) - Both were of equal quality, but not up to "custom" standards. The kit rifle is better, as far as fit and finish, than the factory model, but both look like "customs" compared to what MtnWolf has posted pictures of. I agree, give MidSouth a call and let them know the rifle and box numbers don't match and that is what you paid for. My guess (hope???) is they will make it right for you.

They are not local to me. They are in Tennesse and I am in Nevada.

A close friend has a new GPR on order and we are both curious how it will look when it shows up

I'm not a fan of those guns either. Much prefer TC guns myself. Never had a TC with the problems you stated.

It was the poor quality of the wood, fit and finish, of the Lyman Great Plains rifle, that persuaded me to buy a Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken in .54 calibre.
I have had 2 Pedersoli Sharps, and a Pedersoli Springfield, so I knew the quality was there.

It was the poor fit of barrel to stock and nonsparking frizzen that caused me to sell my rc hawken for less than I paid. Warranty don't mean much when your parts are in transit two months a year.

necchi said:
I'm with Fred and Bill on this, I would not keep the gun and I certainly would not shoot it.

Wood putty and smudged finger prints of putty? Not a chance.

That series of photos you've shared with us would be sent to the Service/Customer Rep of whoever you bought it from with a request for refund or replacement along with a request for a shipping label to return the offending rifle.

x2

Otter said:
bpd303 said:
MtnWolf said:
The serial number on the rifle does match the number on the box.
Sounds like someone at MidSouth (or a customer) swapped a new factory rifle for a cobbled up kit. I would go back on MidSouth on that one. Are they local to you?
That is what I would bet happened. I agree, give MidSouth a call and let them know the rifle and box numbers don't match and that is what you paid for. My guess (hope???) is they will make it right for you.

Excuse me but I believe that it says that the numbers DO match...........just saying

Latest posts

Back