• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"New" Investarms Hawken Carbine & I already Messed it up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mp510

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a new to me Investarms (Cabela's) Hawken carbine yesterday. It was made in 2001 and I am probably its second owner. I was super excited to get it- probably unfired by its last owner- who was surprisingly local. Everything was fitted nicely when I bought. When I got it home, I took it apart and unintentionally ruined it. Thinking that takedown was like an older (FIE) Zouave rifle and Jukar pistol that I own, I undid the tang screws before popping the wedge pin. Turns out that's not the appropriate procedure for a Hook Breach gun like this one. As I learned after, the tang screws are not ever supposed to be taken out. In attempting to put it back together- now everything is not fitting together right. The hammer does not line up with the nipple- the front lip of the hammer just barely contacts the front rim (of the nipple) when the hammer is in the down position, which is just over where the (investarms low) half-cock position is. The wedge pin will go in one side, cross through its slot, and comes up on the high portion of the opposite side. It's all very close but so, so far off. I don't want to destroy this rifle any farther but I am really not sure if I can salvage it. Unfortunately, professional attention is not really an option- I checked with the local gunsmith and they don't do anything with blackpowder rifles. I may need to figure this out- which I know might be doable. Any resources or info (or advice).

I am really hoping that I can get this into a shootable condition

IMG_0781.jpg

IMG_0777.JPG

IMG_0778.JPG

IMG_0779.JPG

If the wedge pin is too tight loosen the tang screws a little this will allow you to line up and install the wedge. Then tighten the tang screws again but do not overdo it.

Thanks for the thought.

I don't think it's a matter of tightness. Even with the tang screws backed off pretty far, it seems like its lining up too high on the hole.

With the lock off, the wedge is able to line up nicely.

Last edited:
The bolster on the barrel is contacting the lock plate. take barrel and tang back out and put back in without the tang screw, just wiggle it until it goes into place. Nothing is messed up just out of place a little. There is nothing wrong with taking the tang out, you just half to get it back in right. if you can't get it, you don't need a gunsmith, just a friend who is handy with assembling things.

The bolster on the barrel is contacting the lock plate. take barrel and tang back out and put back in without the tang screw, just wiggle it until it goes into place. Nothing is messed up just out of place a little. There is nothing wrong with taking the tang out, you just half to get it back in right. if you can't get it, you don't need a gunsmith, just a friend who is handy with assembling things.
Agree this is most likely the culprit. Also once the side plate is properly slotted in the bolster and the tang screws are tightened. The front tang screw doesn't get necessarily fully tightened. It is used to set the barrel tension in the stock. Lyman has a video on You Tube showing how to set this tension on the Investarms rifles they sold under their label.
hung up on  bolster.jpg

Last edited:
Right, it looks like the tang is standing proud of the stock. Photos attached of mine for how it should look. Tang is recessed into the stock about 1/16th of an inch. Take the barrel off and see if you can get the tang down where it belongs. Lock plate may need to go further in, hard to tell from the photo.32366816-7D3C-4E3C-982A-CF7FDB1AE531.jpegAA84EE6A-6AEB-43A7-A4B6-811B2EDF6B64.jpeg
AA84EE6A-6AEB-43A7-A4B6-811B2EDF6B64.jpeg

IIRC, the bolster has a slot that goes down over the lock plate. It has to line up. A little fiddly, but you can get it done. This is a good reminder that when you buy a gun that had an owner's manual, you should always get a copy of it and read it before jumping in. You haven't done any damage, just take your time and it will get together properly again.

I picked up a new to me Investarms (Cabela's) Hawken carbine yesterday. It was made in 2001 and I am probably its second owner. I was super excited to get it- probably unfired by its last owner- who was surprisingly local. Everything was fitted nicely when I bought. When I got it home, I took it apart and unintentionally ruined it. Thinking that takedown was like an older (FIE) Zouave rifle and Jukar pistol that I own, I undid the tang screws before popping the wedge pin. Turns out that's not the appropriate procedure for a Hook Breach gun like this one. As I learned after, the tang screws are not ever supposed to be taken out. In attempting to put it back together- now everything is not fitting together right. The hammer does not line up with the nipple- the front lip of the hammer just barely contacts the front rim (of the nipple) when the hammer is in the down position, which is just over where the (investarms low) half-cock position is. The wedge pin will go in one side, cross through its slot, and comes up on the high portion of the opposite side. It's all very close but so, so far off. I don't want to destroy this rifle any farther but I am really not sure if I can salvage it. Unfortunately, professional attention is not really an option- I checked with the local gunsmith and they don't do anything with blackpowder rifles. I may need to figure this out- which I know might be doable. Any resources or info (or advice).

I am really hoping that I can get this into a shootable condition

. View attachment 271438

View attachment 271439

View attachment 271440

View attachment 271441
it would certainly help to know where your located?

Just wanted to take a moment to cycle back.

I was able to get everything back together. In order to get everything fitted correctly I did need to do a couple of minor adjustments- after which it was amazing how everything did come together much better. Many of you had points that I took into consideration. Glad we were able to get it back together.

Back