• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My story..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes flintlocks are a whole new ``my story`` to come. welcome to the straight and narrow. i found this path about 5 years ago and haven`t looked back and have no regretes about letting the modern stuff go. my 16 year old son has only ever hunted deer with an old cva 50 cal. it is his favorite go to gun when we shoot.

Many here travel the trail that you have taken up, and many more will come. Your well-written piece gave me pause to reflect, yet again, on the good fortune I have to walk that path. Thank you, sir.

I started on the BP path around 45 years ago and only became more and more entrenched as the years went by. It's just very difficult explaining it to someone who hasn't done it.

Great story, it made me want to go grab my rifle, bag and horn and head out . Seriously though, there is a wonderful draw to this hobby that speaks to something deep inside me like nothing else. It is just so cool to be surrounded with other like minds.
Keep making smoke! :grin:

most excellent post! a sense of humor will ensure a tolerable happy life! well said :applause:

I just went "back to black" after too much time with modern gadgets that left me feeling empty and wanting more. Good luck. And I can honestly say I remember hearing about the husband of one of my co workers killing a buck with a flintlock about 8 years ago. I looked at her and thought why would anybody shoot a flintlock at a deer, doesnt he want to kill deer? He must not have ever seen an inline? I had never seen or shot a flintlock at that time. In other words, I hadn't experienced one of the finest things in life. I just went "back to black" a couple of years ago. I started reading these black powder forums. I decided I needed a flintlock without ever shooting one or seeing anyone else shoot one. I knew I needed one based on what others were saying. Now I have 2 flintlocks and cant wait to hunt deer,turkey,squirrel, and even bear with them this fall. I could see selling some modern stuff, but I cant imagine who would want it, they certainly have never shot a flinter. Now there is nothing wrong with percussion, I got a couple of them and they are not going anywhere.

I've done the same thing. It's funny, because I was looking at my gun room today. All I see are sidelocks. I looked at my powder supply, and all I see is BP. Where my ammo used to be is nothing but round balls and patch material. I have these old beat up bags and powder horns.

I look in the closet, and I see clothes that belong in the 1800's.

I guess i've made the change too. :wink:

HOW GOOD ARE YOU?... Is the question I ask everyone who wants to get into this sport. The traditional muzzle loader WILL without a doubt do the trick, but can you make it perform that way. A well placed shot is the key. The most powerful hunting rifle in the world can leave you with a lost wounded critter if you don't hit it correctly. Too many people try too cover up their mistakes with power not skill. I think that is the reason the general public thought process leans toward more power and flatter shooting bullets. My 30.06 will need no compensation on elevation for deer inside of 100 yards because it shoots so flat. But my .54 Hawken may wound the dear if I don't compensate at this distance. The flatter shooting projectile will spoil us. When we get to the primitive style of firearm or projectile, some of us don't think of these things. Moral of this post, we don't practice enough to know our firearm/hunting equipment, so we compensate for our mistakes. The people that make the rules know this. Don't get me wrong, all of these firearms are more than capable of doing the job, but do we really know them? :2

HH 60

Back