• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SxS Rifle collection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Half the fun of a hunt is the planning and preparing. My safari this June is with My bow, but I do not know how muck longer I can pull back the required poundage for dangerous game. So planning for the future, I am going to start testing rifles and loads at the range and plan on some bear and deer hunting this year maybe even a Bison, with the sxs muzzleloader. All Kodiaks, here is a deluxe Flintlock in .63, Safari express in .72, the MKVI in 50, 54, and 58 and the MKIII in 50 54 and 58. I am also retrofitting hard cases for all my rifles and shotguns. I wish I could find cases already made to accept a broken down SXS muzzleloader. Has anyone else hunted with a SXS?

Attachments

• IMG_8837.jpg
    IMG_8837.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8833.jpg
    IMG_8833.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8834.jpg
    IMG_8834.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8835.jpg
    IMG_8835.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8839.jpg
    IMG_8839.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8840.jpg
    IMG_8840.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8841.jpg
    IMG_8841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8842.jpg
    IMG_8842.jpg
    967 KB · Views: 0
Very Nice I have a 50 cal Kodiak but have not hunted with it yet also have a s x s combo rifle and shotgun in flint lock and some s x s shotguns I love two barrel guns
I have a love for shotguns also. I have been hunting with Black powder shotguns since 1980, I just have not used the sxs rifles yet. I have seen a few combos like what you have, but I do not own one yet.

Half the fun of a hunt is the planning and preparing. My safari this June is with My bow, but I do not know how muck longer I can pull back the required poundage for dangerous game. So planning for the future, I am going to start testing rifles and loads at the range and plan on some bear and deer hunting this year maybe even a Bison, with the sxs muzzleloader. All Kodiaks, here is a deluxe Flintlock in .63, Has anyone else hunted with a SXS?
Just WATCH the hunting regs for whatever State you hunt, as be aware that in some States dbl-barreled MZL’drs cannot be used on large game!

Just WATCH the hunting regs for whatever State you hunt, as be aware that in some States dbl-barreled MZL’drs cannot be used on large game!
You are correct. Here in NH and most states you can only use a single barrel during muzzleloader season, but the double can be used in the general rifle season. Always good to check the laws wherever you go. Africa they are good to!

I am not sure yet. I am hoping I have a couple years to figure that out, but I would hope whatever PH I use on that trip will have access to what I need. We plan these trips over a year beforehand, so there has to be a way.
seems you can import ammo so just put black powder in the ammo and pull the bullets when you arrive at the hunt location you should be fine

Here is an original Alexander Henry .451 double rifle. I also have a couple .58 cal contemporary ML doubles. Hunting with an original is more enjoyable for me. Kinda like hunting behind my Epagneul Breton.

The tough thing with hunting in remote areas is getting powder. I recently went on a musk ox/caribou hunt up in Nunavut, but was not able to get black powder so could not use a ML.

I would strongly caution anyone taking cartridges and loading them with black powder to circumvent flying with black powder.

Fleener

Attachments

• case.jpg
    case.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 0
Here is an original Alexander Henry .451 double rifle. I also have a couple .58 cal contemporary ML doubles. Hunting with an original is more enjoyable for me. Kinda like hunting behind my Epagneul Breton.

The tough thing with hunting in remote areas is getting powder. I recently went on a musk ox/caribou hunt up in Nunavut, but was not able to get black powder so could not use a ML.

I would strongly caution anyone taking cartridges and loading them with black powder to circumvent flying with black powder.

Fleener
That looks like a beautiful rifle. Of course it is always better too use an original as long as you have the required caliber to pass any law requirement and ethical harvest. So on your Musk Ox hunt, did you have to end up using a modern rifle?

I did use a modern rifle. I flew into and hunted out of Baker Lake Nunavut Canada. The only way into Baker Lake is by air or water and I dont beleve that there is a single pound of black powder in the villiage. Most of the hunting is done by the locals and they simply don't use ML's.

I tried to find black powder before the hunt in Baker Lake but simply could not find any.

Fleener

Fleener
Beautiful AH double rifle fleener !!
Your correct, it is much more enjoyable to hunt & compete with originals of historical bygone eras that we all admire..
Relic shooter

I did use a modern rifle. I flew into and hunted out of Baker Lake Nunavut Canada. The only way into Baker Lake is by air or water and I dont beleve that there is a single pound of black powder in the villiage. Most of the hunting is done by the locals and they simply don't use ML's.

I tried to find black powder before the hunt in Baker Lake but simply could not find any.

Fleener
That must have been a great hunt! Would love to see a picture of your muskox. It is one of the animals I still have left on my bow list. I hope I can still do it before I change over to doing the list over with a muzzleloader.

Just sent you a PM for your email address. I will send you some pictures. Dont want to get the mods excited by showing them here.

Fleener

Just sent you a PM for your email address. I will send you some pictures. Dont want to get the mods excited by showing them here.

Fleener
I hear ya and appreciate the effort. I will be going to SCI in Tennessee in a couple weeks and one of the big questions I have for the outfitters is if they have access to black powder. Although I am still able to bow hunt, I'm sure it wont be long until I am moving to the Muzzleloader so its nice to start planning now.

I heard of one guy that talked to his outfitter and the guy assured him that he black powder. Once he got there he had a subsitute. I always figured I would have them take a picture of the can and send it to me.

Fleener

Latest posts

Back