• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maui axis deer hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weavedreamer

32 Cal
Reaction score
In late June I’m headed to Maui on an axis deer hunt. It’ll be my first time hunting anywhere outside Washington. I’ve asked this question on here prior but was seeing if I could get more insight still. For those who have hunted internationally or have had to transport game home what’s the cheapest way to do so? I was told that it’s X dollars for extra weight on checked luggage. I’m also trying to bring my approx 55 inch long flintlock with me as checked luggage, but all the gun cases I can find that would allow me to do so are almost $400. Is there a more cost effective way to do this as well? Really appreciate all the help I’ve got from everyone on this forum.

to transport game home
Quite honestly, my 1st reaction in this case,,,, is don't. First, see if their are any more victims of the Lahaina disaster that can use the meat and is there a means through which you can donate it. While it seems like paradise to many of us and it isn't always cheap for us to visit, the cost of living in Hawaii is ridiculous, I can't even begin to fathom being working class or lower working class and not just trying to survive but to rebuild there.

Another possible resource for answers to your meat and firearms transport questions might be SCI. Their organization is all about travel hunting.

Good luck and enjoy your hunt.

In late June I’m headed to Maui on an axis deer hunt. It’ll be my first time hunting anywhere outside Washington. I’ve asked this question on here prior but was seeing if I could get more insight still. For those who have hunted internationally or have had to transport game home what’s the cheapest way to do so? I was told that it’s X dollars for extra weight on checked luggage. I’m also trying to bring my approx 55 inch long flintlock with me as checked luggage, but all the gun cases I can find that would allow me to do so are almost $400. Is there a more cost effective way to do this as well? Really appreciate all the help I’ve got from everyone on this forum.
Did you check harbor freight cases?
The one case is around 51" but maybe on the diagonal it fits

One major challenge you'll face is that black powder (or percussion caps) cannot be carried in checked (or for that matter carry-on) luggage on commercial aircraft. You'll have to source that locally before your trip.

This is an important point. The OP should get with the outfitter on this.

Axis meat is very good and worth bringing back. Have always purchased a ice chest locally, try to hard freeze the meat and ship back as extra bagage.

Actually just mailing FFF to a contact I have there ahead of time.

I don't want to be a debbie downer but you really need to research shipping gunpowder/black powder as an indvidual. You can get yourself into some trouble.

You might want to purchase the FFF through a dealer and have them ship it to Hawaii if it's even possible. Airlines forbid black powder on them.

Last edited:
Actually just mailing FFF to a contact I have there ahead of time.
What could go wrong mailing blackpowder???? Might want to read the hazmat regulations.

You may also want to look into if you can bring wild game meet back from Hawaii in your luggage. If I remember correctly, we couldn’t even bring a plant or fruit back.

Let me help with your actual questions.....long time flier to alaska here.

If you can get the meat frozen....carry on anything that barely bumps you over the 50 pounds.....unless you're going to need an extra bag checked, if so....take advantage of the excess baggage fee and load one box/bag as close to the max as possible. You can mail home bulky non perishables if necessary.

I can't help on the case....but I wish you luck.

And as for the Lahina victims, my coworker just returned from Maui a week ago and the displaced people are being put up and fed in the hotels. They're all eating free at the hotels. Those who chose to camp on the beach are also eating free.

Latest posts

Back