• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader magazine

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about subscribing. but now it seems I may wait and see if they go out of business or fix the problems

I was thinking about subscribing. but now it seems I may wait and see if they go out of business or fix the problems
I don't think there are problems with the magazine, but with the company that is doing the distribution and mail processing. I have confidence that the delivery issues will get resolved.

And mine just got delivered!

Attachments

• IMG_3677.jpeg
    IMG_3677.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
The vagaries of international mail to New Zealand; I received the Jan/Feb issue before I got the Nov/Dec one ! Still waiting for Mar/Apr But still worth the wait it's an exceptional publication . At least the information is credible, most of the internet is full of misinformation. I still miss John Baird's Buckskin Report.

The vagaries of international mail to New Zealand; I received the Jan/Feb issue before I got the Nov/Dec one ! Still waiting for Mar/Apr But still worth the wait it's an exceptional publication . At least the information is credible, most of the internet is full of misinformation. I still miss John Baird's Buckskin Report.
I sent in my subscription renewal on the 16th in their nice envelope they sent me with their reminder that the may/Jun issue is my last. Today I got another reminder "final, reminder notice " in the mail. That's real funny since I haven't even got the Mar/April issue yet. I don't blame the U.S. Postal Service, certain politicians have been trying to destroy it for the last 20 years so they can "privatize it" .So oinkers can get richer. manure.

Paper magazine is heartwarming and relaxing. Electronic is clinical and sterile. That said the content is usually good. Their delivery process, not so much and I just don't understand how the same issues keep happening and aren't remedied.

I sent in my subscription renewal on the 16th in their nice envelope they sent me with their reminder that the may/Jun issue is my last. Today I got another reminder "final, reminder notice " in the mail. That's real funny since I haven't even got the Mar/April issue yet. I don't blame the U.S. Postal Service, certain politicians have been trying to destroy it for the last 20 years so they can "privatize it" .So oinkers can get richer. manure.
It's not all the USPS problems. Due to some distribution center problems, the magazine wasn't released to the USPS until April 18. The magazines are mailed from the St. Louis Post Office and I haven't received my copy yet. I'm not about to get upset with Jason, the publisher. The May/June issue is scheduled to be released to press on May 1 and delivered to the Post Office on May 15. The delivery schedule for magazine class mail is 7 to 15 days. Let's be patient.

It's not all the USPS problems. Due to some distribution center problems, the magazine wasn't released to the USPS until April 18. The magazines are mailed from the St. Louis Post Office and I haven't received my copy yet. I'm not about to get upset with Jason, the publisher. The May/June issue is scheduled to be released to press on May 1 and delivered to the Post Office on May 15. The delivery schedule for magazine class mail is 7 to 15 days. Let's be patient.

You're right, it's not. There was a delay with the Nov/Dec issue, which was my fault, that delay has caused other delays down the line. I had hoped to be caught up with the Mar/Apr issue but managed to catch some kind of respiratory bug at the Lake Cumberland Show in February that put me out of commission for 3 weeks. Someone earlier said that it's likely a one man operation and that's mostly true, I have amazing writers, a great editor and fantastic proofreaders, but I am the only employee at the office. So my duties are article selection, magazine layout, order shipping, invoicing, accounts payable and receivable, lawn care, laundry... ;-)

With the Jan/Feb issue, it was a combination of USPS issues and my delay, it was mailed out on 1/25 but many of our readers did not receive their copy, I have sent out over 100 replacements so far (at a postage cost of $3.79 each I might add). One subscriber in Lebanon, MO (which is about 180 miles from the St. Louis Post Office) received his Jan/Feb on April 17th, he received the replacement I sent the week before on the 18th.

The May/June issue is almost finished, just have to complete the proofs and then upload it to the printers which will happen tomorrow, and should all go according to plan, July/August will be mailed out the middle of June and on time. I appreciate all of your patience and understanding.

Regarding a digital version of the magazine, we don't offer one. Personally I have absolutely zero interest in offering a digital version; I can't build a gun, I am almost never happy with the bags or horns I make, and it only took me one knife to decide a knife maker I am not. Laying out the magazine is my creative outlet and when I finish it, I want to hold the magazine in my hand and enjoy it. But I do receive a few requests each year for a digital version so I am going to pursue offering that this summer. But take it from me, if it ever came to where digital was the only thing I could offer, I would sell the company and do something else. It just isn't the same.

Jason W. Gatliff

Last edited:
Bought a subscription several months ago and have not received it yet. Still waiting

Use the contact us link on our website and send us a message, USPS dropped the ball on the Jan/Feb issue. I'll get you a replacement copy out when I confirm your name and address.

Last edited:
The two local Barnes & Noble stores in my neck of the woods still have the November/December issues on the rack....

That's because I stopped newsstand distribution. I audited the costs versus return and found out I was losing between $2000 and $7000 per issue (only reviewed the last 2 years). I don't know about you, but I can't afford to toss $2-7k into the wind every 2 months...

EDIT: I forgot to say, Nov/Dec was the last issue sent to newsstands. I did add a list of dealers to our website.

Newsstand sales aren't handled like normal retail. Usually if you produce a product, a store wants to carry that product, they order a quantity and pay a wholesale rate for the items they receive. In newsstand sales, the publisher is only paid for the issues that sell, the costs of producing the magazine, and shipping them to the retailer fall on the publisher. If Barnes & Noble takes 2,000 magazines, and only sells 10, they pay me a portion of the price for only those 10. What's even more frustrating is that our sell thru percentage was 30-40%, the nationwide average is 21-22%, you'd think we'd at least be breaking even and in the past when I have audited it, where breaking even but post covid, that's not the case.

Last edited:
That's because I stopped newsstand distribution. I audited the costs versus return and found out I was losing between $2000 and $7000 per issue (only reviewed the last 2 years). I don't know about you, but I can't afford to toss $2-7k into the wind every 2 months...

EDIT: I forgot to say, Nov/Dec was the last issue sent to newsstands. I did add a list of dealers to our website.

Newsstand sales aren't handled like normal retail. Usually if you produce a product, a store wants to carry that product, they order a quantity and pay a wholesale rate for the items they receive. In newsstand sales, the publisher is only paid for the issues that sell, the costs of producing the magazine, and shipping them to the retailer fall on the publisher. If Barnes & Noble takes 2,000 magazines, and only sells 10, they pay me a portion of the price for only those 10. What's even more frustrating is that our sell thru percentage was 30-40%, the nationwide average is 21-22%, you'd think we'd at least be breaking even and in the past when I have audited it, where breaking even but post covid, that's not the case.
Thank you, Jason, for that explanation. Not many take the time to do that today.

You're right, it's not. There was a delay with the Nov/Dec issue, which was my fault, that delay has caused other delays down the line. I had hoped to be caught up with the Mar/Apr issue but managed to catch some kind of respiratory bug at the Lake Cumberland Show in February that put me out of commission for 3 weeks. Someone earlier said that it's likely a one man operation and that's mostly true, I have amazing writers, a great editor and fantastic proofreaders, but I am the only employee at the office. So my duties are article selection, magazine layout, order shipping, invoicing, accounts payable and receivable, lawn care, laundry... ;-)

With the Jan/Feb issue, it was a combination of USPS issues and my delay, it was mailed out on 1/25 but many of our readers did not receive their copy, I have sent out over 100 replacements so far (at a postage cost of $3.79 each I might add). One subscriber in Lebanon, MO (which is about 180 miles from the St. Louis Post Office) received his Jan/Feb on April 17th, he received the replacement I sent the week before on the 18th.

The May/June issue is almost finished, just have to complete the proofs and then upload it to the printers which will happen tomorrow, and should all go according to plan, July/August will be mailed out the middle of June and on time. I appreciate all of your patience and understanding.

Regarding a digital version of the magazine, we don't offer one. Personally I have absolutely zero interest in offering a digital version; I can't build a gun, I am almost never happy with the bags or horns I make, and it only took me one knife to decide a knife maker I am not. Laying out the magazine is my creative outlet and when I finish it, I want to hold the magazine in my hand and enjoy it. But I do receive a few requests each year for a digital version so I am going to pursue offering that this summer. But take it from me, if it ever came to where digital was the only thing I could offer, I would sell the company and do something else. It just isn't the same.

Jason W. Gatliff
Thank you, @Jason Gatliff , for the explanation. I would like to point out that the reason we are all griping about the delay is that we love the magazine!

I can believe some of the delays were due to problems with the USPS. Not to bash any of the retired or active postal workers among us, but the system seems to be having some problems recently. I’ve experienced delays in receiving several things in the past couple of months, including some pretty important documents (truck registration, tax forms…), and payment I mailed to a forum member for a gun purchase was delayed by several days. The post office does a great job overall, but delays do happen.

I’m sorry to hear of your recent illness and hope your recovery is proceeding well. It sounds as if publication and distribution of Muzzleloader magazine will be back on track by midsummer. That’s good to know.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back